PDA

View Full Version : instrument rating theory exams

colmcooper
1st Sep 2014, 22:29
I wonder could some one answer this .Looking at the new EASA requirements in Acceptable Means of Compliance and Guidance Material to Part-FCL page 214 it states that the syllabus content requirement for the IR theory is the same as the ATPL theory .
Is it possible to sit the 7 ATPL theoretical exams that are the same for both IR AND ATPL since they have the same content .Then apply for my IR flight test and continue with and complete the other 7 ATPL exams ?

I have included a link to the EASA doccument

http://easa.europa.eu/system/files/dfu/AMC%20and%20GM%20to%20Part-FCL.pdf

paco
2nd Sep 2014, 08:28
The CAA will tell you that certain items are not examined in all exams.

colmcooper
2nd Sep 2014, 21:04
Thanks for the reply.
Whats confusing me is the theoretical exams are based on EASA regulations and EASA has stated that there is now no difference in the content . The questions in the EASA bank cant veer outside the syllabus and are the same for the IR and ATPL theory examinations.If EASA had wanted different questions specific to IR then they would have made it so.
just my two cents:)

paco
3rd Sep 2014, 06:37
Apparently a lot of regulations that have "not been adopted". There is a similar problem with the Amendment 3 CPL(H).

lasseb
8th Sep 2014, 16:10
No, the syllabus for the IR subjects are not the same as for ATPL, and you get no credit towards ATPL for any of the IR subjects.
The newest AMC does state the exact content of the IR exams.

Genghis the Engineer
9th Sep 2014, 10:50
Incidentally, does anybody know if we're any nearer to a "new" groundschool provider and set of exams for the CBM IR yet?

paco
9th Sep 2014, 14:10
Yes, we are now approved!

Genghis the Engineer
9th Sep 2014, 16:54
That snuck past when I wasn't paying attention.

I expect that I shall be along with my money once the flying weather deteriorates then. Well done !

Incidentally, looking at it, you might want to revise your company webpage a bit - which rather looks like it's only a rotary wing course you're offering, and I had to re-read it a couple of times to establish that that's not true.

Linda Mollison
9th Sep 2014, 17:01
GTS at Bournemouth are also approved.

Genghis the Engineer
9th Sep 2014, 17:42
Just sharing the links (and thanks both for flagging these up)

CAPT: £395: Caledonian Advanced Pilot Training - Instrument Rating (http://www.captonline.com/instrument_rating.html)

GTS: £1197: GTS IR Distance Learning Course (http://www.gtserv.co.uk/ir.html)

You wait at-least a year for a CBM IR Groundschool course, and then two come along at once :) Both look well set up, so nice to have a choice.

paco
9th Sep 2014, 17:49
I think their price might be for the full course. Will play with the web page, thanks!

I believe the wait was because the questions weren't quite ready.

Linda Mollison
10th Sep 2014, 08:28
Genghis

You are right, the £1197 price you quoted for GTS is the full IR course. I believe their CBMIR price is around £800.

Genghis the Engineer
10th Sep 2014, 14:20
And I understand from an offline conversation with Paco that theirs is actually £495 in most circumstances.

However, the reality is that the big saving for me and probably most people like me is the time, which makes both jolly cheap, and the CBM IR flying course cheaper still.

All, from where I'm sitting, jolly good news.