PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Atlantic recruitment?

Pages : 1 [2]

FO_DJ
1st Dec 2014, 14:22
I am! Applied 3 weeks ago today and I've been on hold for around 12-14 days.

InformationAlpha
1st Dec 2014, 14:25
So I'm not the only one logging into CTC, email refresh, junk mail refresh then repeat the cycle? :}

FO_DJ
1st Dec 2014, 14:31
Certainly not. Although 3 weeks seems to be longer than other cadets have waited to hear a response, I think we just have to be patient :cool:

No news is good news until you hear otherwise, InformationAlpha :ok:

Tommerhawk
1st Dec 2014, 15:08
Same here, submitted my application on the 15th and been on hold for just over a week now. I keep wondering if being on hold for so long is a bad thing, considering some people went through after a few days on hold... there's no point in trying to second guess it though, as you say, we'll just have to remain patient!

Certainly not going to miss checking my e-mails every 5mins!

GetTheQRH
1st Dec 2014, 15:12
VLT: Seems strange that some of you have been on hold for so long now? I think I was only on hold for 4/5 days. Im going down for assessment on 10th December. Has anyone else got dates for their assessment/interview with Virgin?

VLT_029
1st Dec 2014, 17:46
Still "On Hold". I guess as others before me have mentioned, as long as we're on hold, there may be a chance of getting through.

I'll just keep on checking my application every hour hoping that I will have an answer soon.

j4mi3
1st Dec 2014, 18:03
had my assessment today, I'd love to tell you guys everything that happened but as per request of CTC I can't.

Lovely people who make you feel relaxed (as is possible)

there is a presentation by ctc and virgin at the beginning of the day and after day one group does a group activity whilst the other does PILAPT, and then you switch.

After lunch is the one v one interviews.

im not confident, I let myself down on the PILAPT but feel I did well in the interviews.

good luck to everyone who is left!

wackothedrummer
2nd Dec 2014, 13:54
For those planning return journeys / flights after your assessment day at Dibden Manor, I didn't finish my interview until 1730. However if you do need to be away slightly early let the staff know as soon as you can and they will do their best to accommodate you when it comes to arranging an earlier interview slot. I believe that on my assessment day they only drew up the schedule during the lunch break and ensured an early interview slot for one of the candidates that was due to fly out again that evening.

Scorchio1
2nd Dec 2014, 14:33
Hi, can anyone confirm something posted earlier in this thread regarding pay. That once you've been successful in the selection process, you commit a £100,000 plus security bond, then receive no pay for eighteen months whilst training (all explained in the job description) but after this eighteen month training period you are then only paid £27,500 for 7 years? Seems a rather moderate salary for such a long period of time, Thanks in anticipation.

Runner233
2nd Dec 2014, 16:01
Because it's so competitive, say someone fails numeracy but does extremely well on other sections, the fact that they failed one thing means they prob won't end up going to the Virgin interviews, am I right in assuming that? Fail one thing and that's it game over, what do you guys think?

gbotley
2nd Dec 2014, 17:23
Got told I'm successful to the selection stage today :-) when I checked the 15th was available, but after clicking pay it said it was the fully booked. Hope they release extra dates before Christmas.

For those interested, I was on hold around 15 days.

Bleasy
2nd Dec 2014, 18:46
Well done towmas!

I have received an email today saying I have been successful at stage 1 but like gbotley when I try to book stage 2 is said no spaces were available.

I hope that it's either a technical fault of they put on more days!

Bleasy
2nd Dec 2014, 20:25
For info, I was also on hold for around 15 days.

Really hope that they put on some more stage 2 days!

Alex.Mitchell
2nd Dec 2014, 20:35
Does anyone know if on the CTC assessment day you have to do Verbal Reasoning? I understand that there is Numerical Reasoning.

Thanks

GetTheQRH
2nd Dec 2014, 20:56
Well done Thowmas! How long was it until you heard that you'd passed stage 3?

Also, does anybody know what the maths questions are kind of going to look like? I understand they're GCSE level, but I wouldn't imagine that they're going to be asked in any-way similar to what you find in a GCSE exam paper having had a flick through some past papers. Anyone got any ideas?

Thank you! :-)

gbotley
2nd Dec 2014, 21:09
ashb,

Take a look online for PILAPT maths tests for CTC and there are a plethora of resources.. here are some examples (using a site CTC cadets recommended to me)

What is 23 x 2453
Calculate 5/3 divided by 2/9
What is 405000 divided by 27000
An aircraft descends to a new altitude of 4500 ft in a constant 500 ft/min descend rate. At which altitude did it commence the descend if the descend is completed in 11 minutes?

Make of that what you will, but the site in question has pretty good ratings.

Good luck :-)

VLT_029
5th Dec 2014, 10:11
Has anyone heard from CTC over the last few days?

Any changes to 'on hold' applications?

gbotley
5th Dec 2014, 11:35
I heard back on Tuesday evening around 6pm. I'm booked on a date on the 18th. Around a 13 day wait from On Hold to selection invite.

pb075
5th Dec 2014, 12:26
Same here.
Applied on the final day of the application window. On hold until Tuesday when I finally received the good news.

Booked in for the 18th too! :)

4KBeta
5th Dec 2014, 13:23
I was on hold for a while, I got the no to stage 2 around lunchtime today.

Though I have a good degree and a lot of professional experience, I imagine my below average A-Levels were a factor.

Good luck to the rest of you who got through.

j4mi3
5th Dec 2014, 15:47
to the guy above, my A levels were dire and i got through. It's pretty much entirely your work experience and your essay questions.

As for myself, I screwed up on the maths test (I didn't even finish it in time, and pretty sure a good proportion of my answers were wrong) and thus didn't get put through to stage 3

extremely annoying to discover from a few posts above, that examples of the exact questions they use are flooded around the internet. If only I'd done a bit more research

Akrapovic
8th Dec 2014, 07:49
j4mi3

Why are you 'extremely annoyed' with yourself?

You mention dire A level results and regretting the lack of research you did.

Were you seriously expecting to just glide through selection?

4KBeta
8th Dec 2014, 08:00
Unfortunately, you could be right but with no feedback (as is common) I will never know.

Either way, good luck to all those who got through.

champair79
9th Dec 2014, 19:26
There were 16 there yesterday.

I've read 12 from other assessment days. I can't imagine they'd do more than 16 unless they have 5 staff to do interviews to raise it to 20.

thowmas
9th Dec 2014, 21:07
There have been upto 18 at assessments :)

stuartm010
9th Dec 2014, 21:19
champair79 - how did you get on? I received the email this morning and passed everything other than the interview - I wasn't too confident about the interview after getting home though and thought that would be what might let me down.

Onwards and upwards!

champair79
9th Dec 2014, 22:31
PM sent Stu. Good news for me :). Just a waiting game now. Might as well toss a coin!

DJBowl
9th Dec 2014, 23:23
Hello all,

I'm attending next week, I'm not particularly confident due to my age and education qualifications. Although hopefully my relevent work experience may counteract that slightly.

Does anyone have any particular tips or guideance? This is all new to me as I've been out of education for quite sometime and in my current industry for eight years. Obviously I understand we are all in competition and people have been asked not to say much about the selection however any basic help would be much appreciated.

I've clearly read the rest of the thread.

Fergal10
10th Dec 2014, 08:16
The main thing that seems to set back "late bloomers" in interviews is motivation. There's nothing wrong with having the realisation you want to be a pilot later on in life.
But when compared with the kiddies who havent thought about much else in their two decades on this planet, who have had the time and the parents to pursue a ppl and their university air squadrons and what not, older folks can struggle to compare.

So focus on what you have done to pursue an interest. Doesn't need to be an excessive amount of hours, you just need to prove initiative and passion and that you're taking this seriously (meetings, exhibitions, research,etc). Otherwise you may come across as someone who just hates their current job and is looking for any way out.

And you better put your insecurities to rest now. The average age on self respecting cadet schemes these days is much higher than those where the main requirement seems to be that you have £100k+ to gamble. These airlines value maturity and life experience so bring this to the interview table and you will have an advantage over the nippers who know nothing of the real world and have never had a conversation with anyone over 30.

As for education, if your qualifications werent up to scratch you wouldn't have made it this far.

So man up, start prepping at least 2hrs a day, get in there and nail it!!

flying apprentice
10th Dec 2014, 10:11
Make sure you know the virgin manifesto. They love that cr@p.

FlyingChip
10th Dec 2014, 17:35
Thanks for the post Fergal10! great advice for us late bloomers. I am 27 years old will be having my assessment day on Monday.

Your advice has given me great motivation (not that I need it!) and confidence to give it my all on my assessment day.

Many Thanks!

Fergal10
10th Dec 2014, 19:26
A pleasure mate. Hope it levels the playing field!

Akrapovic
11th Dec 2014, 08:24
These airlines value maturity and life experience so bring this to the interview table and you will have an advantage over the nippers who know nothing of the real world and have never had a conversation with anyone over 30

They do for direct entry pilot, but that's more down to the hours requirement factor over anything else.

I believe this sponsorship is to address the issue that they have very few pilots in their 20's flying for VS. Obviously they can't discriminate on age when advertising this sponsorship, but I would imagine those not meeting their age requirement will be found a convenient excuse as to why they haven't made the grade.

juniour jetset
11th Dec 2014, 14:19
CTC goers

don't forget

CRM CRM CRM CRRRRRRRMMMMMMMMM!

j4mi3
13th Dec 2014, 18:13
@ akropovic

i was annoyed because i passed on everything except for some flipping long division comprising 15 mins of an otherwise very stressful day, where i felt i performed very well.

this was reflected by my results telling me i passed both interviews and the pilapt

i dont blame anyone but myself, but it is quite annoying.

funkyt111
14th Dec 2014, 08:08
Bestofficeintheworld,

j4mi3 has just (by the sounds of it) been told that they are unsuccessful. What a great way to support your fellow hopefuls. :ok:

Was that response really necessary? It's a forum, not an application. j4mi3 made it the application stage purely by the strength of their application warding off 1000's of other applicants for which he/she has done very well alone.

funkyt111
14th Dec 2014, 08:49
Now that wasn't so hard was it?! ;) :ok:

trtj
15th Dec 2014, 15:43
Hi guys and girls, does anyone know the difference if there is one between the compass tests you get at OAA vs the pilapt test at CTC? Are they the same? I have done a search and couldnt tell.

Cheers

cheerup
16th Dec 2014, 21:46
Compass tests and pilapt tests are slightly different trtj but they're similar tests from what I can remember (it's a few years since I last did compass tests though!).

trtj
17th Dec 2014, 10:01
thanks and cheers!

StopStart
22nd Dec 2014, 09:48
Just FYI, but it might be worth reviewing Bestofficeintheworld's posts on this subject. "Fellow hopeful" s/he most certainly is not.
Take good advice where offered.

cheerup
22nd Dec 2014, 16:36
Eek still nothing! Is anyone else still waiting? I'm suddenly very nervous!!!!

boy_wonder4
23rd Dec 2014, 09:08
Hi all,

Firstly, congratulations to those who have passed stages 2 and 3. I've been fortunate to get through to stage 2 and will be attending the assessment day in Jan. I've scoured the thread but I was wondering if any passees could give some clarity as to what it best to read up on or revise so as to arrive best prepared. I'm assuming that a thorough knowledge of Virgin Atlantic is an implied task prior to attending also.

Cheers, and best of luck to everyone.

LowLevelSHAR
23rd Dec 2014, 10:44
Haven't the stage 2 Assessment Days finished now?

wackothedrummer
23rd Dec 2014, 16:34
LowLevelSHAR, stages 2 and 3 (interview and selection conducted by CTC) have now all finished and the shortlist of candidates to attend Virgin for a final selection day (stage 4) have now been finalised. The final stage will be taking place over three days in January.

wackothedrummer
23rd Dec 2014, 16:57
Bestofficeintheworld...I stand corrected. The CTC process appears to have been extended then. Good luck to all those awaiting selection / results. The final selection at Virgin in January should be an exciting one!

GetTheQRH
26th Dec 2014, 19:05
For those of you that are still to sit the CTC maths test I recommend you have a look at FlySuccess - Free flight aptitude test practise (http://www.flysuccess.co.uk) - I used it in the run up to my tests and found it pretty useful in getting up to speed with quick-fire maths questions. It's all free so i'd highly recommend it to all of you! :-)

juniour jetset
31st Dec 2014, 10:26
Now you guys and gals have an interesting Virgin event to possibly discuss in any interview!

ETflyer
5th Jan 2015, 16:15
Is anyone else still awaiting details regarding the presentation/personality questionnaire?

cheerup
5th Jan 2015, 17:19
Yup ETflyer, still waiting. I have a feeling they might wait until stage 2 assessments have finished and everyone has been invited to the final stage before sending this out so as not to disadvantage anybody - I may be wrong though and I'm still checking my e-mails religiously for more information!

ETflyer
5th Jan 2015, 19:46
Yeah maybe that's the case. Not really necessary though as anyone who makes it through to the final stage would be foolish to leak information to other candidates about what to expect. The battery on my iPhone used to last about 10 hours. Since I began the Virgin FFP process it now lasts about 5 hours due to refreshing emails!!

Hopefully it won't be too long. Best of luck! :ok:

lthartley
6th Jan 2015, 15:20
Just got mine a couple of hours ago. I don't think it will be too much longer if you haven't got it already. It's nice to get the email of course but it honestly won't be holding you back if you don't get it until tomorrow.

gbotley
12th Jan 2015, 15:40
Can I just take a moment to say a VERY BIG CONGRATULATIONS :ok: to all of you that have got so far in this process. I sadly missed out on the maths test, but - everything happens for a reason, just remember that.

Now go KNOCK VIRGIN's SOCKS OFF!

I'll be seeing you in the cockpit one day, ladies & gents :sad:

ETflyer
13th Jan 2015, 14:45
Best of luck to the guys and girls that attended today.:ok: Could someone please advise what time approximately the assessment finishes at? I have a feeling I may have to change my flight!

Cheers

champair79
16th Jan 2015, 21:43
And now the wait begins...

Best of luck to everyone :)

funkyt111
18th Jan 2015, 09:49
:ok:

Hopefully it won't be too long. Best of luck folks! I'm guessing it will be the end of next week/beginning of week after next before we hear anything. I wonder when the actual start dates will be? I know Virgin spoke of May/June and November/December?

How did everyone feel it went?

Enji
25th Jan 2015, 03:04
was told today at the Virgin future flyer event that successful candidates have already been told earlier this week.

Airbus Airhead
25th Jan 2015, 09:20
Big congratulations to the lucky buggers! Been picked as one of the 12 out of 7000 odd is something to be very proud of! Unlike I who is still on the scheme turning wheel :sad:

Could anyone enlighten me, what happened when the finalists went down to Virgin? I was half hoping Richard might have been there directing group activities and what not:ok: also would love to hear the backgrounds / flying hours of any of the chosen few.

topofthegap
4th Nov 2015, 15:51
Hi guys,

I know this has been covered before but I can't find any information on interview questions. I've trawled through previous threads but I keep coming up short. Can anyone please help?

Thanks in advance!

Robbiejones
9th Mar 2016, 16:58
Dose anyone know what stage 4 of the selection process for Virgin involves?