View Full Version : How many Wannabes in NZ?

Cypher
6th Jun 2001, 12:48
How many wannabes in New Zealand are there?

I'm interested in a show of hands, because I'm looking at setting up some sort of seminar for people such as yourselves. I intend for people right through the industry to give their views on what the path a wannabe could take to become a pilot. Much along the same lines as the one in England that has just taken place.

I'll need to work out the cost later when I see how many people are interested. I'm thinking along the lines of one day type meeting.

So whos keen?

Groove Champ
6th Jun 2001, 13:59
Sounds good to me!

Groove!

Girt_bar
6th Jun 2001, 14:25
Great Idea. NZ must be one of the hardest places to get a job. Would this seminar help for those of us who will end up going abroad.

dingducky
6th Jun 2001, 14:30
well i'm a neverbee http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif

but i just wanted to say good luck! :)

------------------
A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.

kiwi_boy
7th Jun 2001, 09:41
Id be keen for that too!

Past conversations with fellow students/wannabes have indicated such a demand.
I've thought it would be good to hear from someone who has 'made it' and how they went about it, as opposed to hearing how you can go about it from everyone else.
Be sure to let all the flying schools etc know - I could guarentee youd have yourself a crowd :)

laurie
7th Jun 2001, 09:51
Kiwi_Boy is onto it. Put it out through the flying schools in NZ - see www.webwings.co.nz (http://www.webwings.co.nz) for a start. Send mailers out to them for their noticeboards.

A lot of people are unaware of pprune, so you may get more numbers in the short term through that method.

Best of luck.

Gravox
8th Jun 2001, 07:20
HAHAHAHA I've told you Cypher the only way to get work is to LEAVE NZ there is nothing there for you guys... Do like I did, jump the ditch and come to Aussie, not that the Aussies will be happy with that idea.

Actually Cypher, greaT IDEA. I'll follow the thread closely, perhaps I'll be able to return some day.... NAh, the sunshine to too good.

hooroo matey

kavu
8th Jun 2001, 09:39
Yep bring it on.

me and the cussie's could do with sum help aye bro...

Cypher
9th Jun 2001, 01:25
Well I haven't quite made it just yet... give me a couple of more years...

so thats 7 people so far?

Any ideas who you guys wish to listen to?

Hey Gravox... yeah yeah.. I'm workin on it, I'll be drinkin beer and chasin chicks by the poolside in DRW before you know it, but I've got a 'job' here for the moment....

I had ideas of someone from Eagle Air, A small general aviation operator, maybe someone from Air NZ (possibily someone who used to hire pilots) and maybe someone from a flight school, who is an instructor and is working his way up. Maybe Gravox too, since he took the overseas route and it would be good to hear from him about his experiences. Any other PPruners keen to give a small talk about how they've made it?

mad_jock
9th Jun 2001, 01:38
I have just had the good fortune to spend 3 weeks in the company of the flying kiwi. Top lad. The biggest problem he had was the strength of the pound at the moment. And the fact that JAA have decided that he needs to completly redo his IR rating to convert for his NZ lic to JAR. Which i gather is nearly as much as he payied for the whole lot at home.

MJ (edited due to 5 cans of lager)

And flying Kiwi if your missus has let you out of bed yet after leaving her for 4 weeks give me a email.

[This message has been edited by mad_jock (edited 08 June 2001).]

Wet Feet
9th Jun 2001, 02:09
Well I'm here!!

Half way through the CPL at an AR school and desperately looking for morale boosting.

Will it be more demoralising to find out how many of us there are?? Dunno but as they say, a problem shared......

While I'm on, anybody gone straight from CPL's to ATPL's, is it the best way or do you need a break, and is correspondence they only way in NZ?

Cheers all

------------------
Dance like no one is watching
Sing like no one is listening
Live like there's no tomorrow
Fly like your being paid

Cypher
9th Jun 2001, 02:51
As a footnote... this thing won't be about which flight school to goto or whether Uni is better blah blah blah, but rather what is there after training. (you've got your licenses, PPL, CPL and above) If I brought flight schools into this I'd open up a can of worms and even lose my job...

kiwi_boy
9th Jun 2001, 08:14
Cypher - I couldnt agree more.

Wet feet - I found out a couple of weeks ago via pprune that flight2000 I think it is run ATPL programms via computer learning. I havnt tried it myself but apparently Its pretty good and there are instructors avaliable to help answer questions etc - got to admit that it sounds alot easyier than correspondence.
Just another note - I believe that in the past Massey have run part time ATPL courses for subjects such as flight planning - not sure if they still do tho?
Also wet feet - Ive been told to get at least some of them done after CPL but unfortunatly procrastination has got the better of me http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif - good luck anyway and I would love to see this seminar go ahead too! :)

BTW - If you dont mind me asking cypher what is your job?

Dupre
9th Jun 2001, 12:05
I'm keen!

Cypher
9th Jun 2001, 16:40
My job?

Fresh CPL with a scenic/charter job and doing my instructors rating... nothing fancy...

if you can all start emailing your details now... I'll try and put something together, in the way of speakers and venue... I'm still not sure on the price as yet..