PDA

View Full Version : Old PPL to Microlight

Festive turkey
28th Aug 2014, 16:36
This issue appears to be in a flux situation but I may be one of many seeking the answer.
I acquired a PPL in 1973 and flew until 1981 in both piston and jet aircraft. Since then I have recently flown gliders.
I have begun retraining in microlight aircraft (conventional high-wing enclosed monoplane) but can't seem to find a clear and definitive answer as to what will lead to the issue of an unlimited licence for such an aircraft.
The CAA, whilst helpful, have jsut quoted what seems to be an ambiguous tract.
Perhaps someone has current personal experience and can assist? Thanks.

Genghis the Engineer
28th Aug 2014, 22:44
I *think* that you'll need to re-take air-law, training as required, NPPL medical (basically just a self declaration) and then an NPPL(M) skill test.

I *know* that if you phone the BMAA on 01869-338888 in working hours and explain the problem, they'll have somebody there who is absolutely up to speed on this, can quote chapter and verse, and also tell you where the nearest good microlight school is. If you're in Uxbridge however, the answer to that is probably Wycombe Air Park on a Eurostar.

G

ifitaintboeing
29th Aug 2014, 13:13
You can add a Microlight Class rating to a UK lifetime PPL. Since you have an expired SEP class rating, see CAP 804, Section 5, Appendix 1, page 19:

SECTION 4 CROSS-CREDITING LICENCES AND RATINGS TO NPPL (MICROLIGHT)

4.2 Pilots with expired licences or ratings

Credit shall be given for holders of expired CAA-issued Part-FCL Pilot Licence (Aeroplanes) and UK PPL(A) licences or ratings as follows:

a) ...

b) Where a Microlight class rating or Microlight privileges included in such licences has expired by more than 5 years, the licence holder shall undergo a course of training in a Microlight aircraft as specified by a Microlight FI, hold a valid NPPL Medical Declaration or Part-MED Class 1, 2 or LAPL medical certificate and pass the NPPL(A) GST in a Microlight. The licence holder shall also pass an oral theoretical knowledge examination conducted by the authorised examiner as part of the GST.

No written examination required, just training as required, pass the GST, and apply for a Microlight class rating.

ifitaint...

xrayalpha
29th Aug 2014, 14:46
If your instructor can't give you this info - or point you to where it is....

Maybe you should be grateful you don't have to do an air law exam!

No "flux" in NPPL Micro regs at the moment, all been like this for at least five years!

Festive turkey
30th Aug 2014, 13:47
Thank you for your kind assistance, people.