PDA

View Full Version : Rec for European long haul airline, English speaking

travellerslife
27th Aug 2014, 09:05
Considering relocating from Aus (VAI crew) to Europe - maybe London, Paris.

Which airlines would you suggest I start looking at - BA, VS seem the obvious choices as I don't have a second language (yet!). I believe NZ also have a LON base?

Looking for long/ultra long haul flying.

Yellow Pen
27th Aug 2014, 10:40
I presume you have the right to live and work in the EU? In BA you'd be doing mixed flying, short haul and long haul. Nobody really does ultra long haul in Europe, there's nowhere far enough away to make it necessary.

travellerslife
27th Aug 2014, 23:24
Yeah, I have that covered. So between BA, VS & NZ (assuming they have a LON base), what do you think? Do QF still have a LON base? Any comparison for me?

travellerslife
27th Aug 2014, 23:28
Perhaps someone can advise on the flying done by the different BA crew. From their website: We currently have four Cabin Crew fleets – three of which are based at our global hub, Heathrow – Worldwide, Euro-Fleet and Mixed Fleet – while the fourth is based at Gatwick airport. Thanks

average-punter
28th Aug 2014, 11:45
All BA cabin crew recruitment is done onto either the Gatwick fleet or Mixed Fleet (Heathrow based). Worldwide and Eurofleet are closed legacy fleets which you cannot join.

On both Gatwick fleet and Mixed Fleet you will do long and short haul flying.

travellerslife
30th Aug 2014, 01:18
I'm assuming there's more short haul out of Gatwick though?

average-punter
30th Aug 2014, 07:48
If you want to do mostly long haul Mixed Fleet LHR would be the better option.

A common incorrect assumption is that you could fly all BA routes from LHR. You fly selected routes from LHR, but all routes from Gatwick. What I mean by this is that certain routes are assigned to Mixed Fleet whilst others are flown by Worldwide (Long haul) and Eurofleet (Short haul).