PDA

View Full Version : UAE bombs Libya

pilotday
26th Aug 2014, 08:24
did anybody hear that UAE aircraft are bombing bad guys in Libya? Apparently totally independently with no help or knowledge from other Western nations.

Egypt And The United Arab Emirates Bombed Libya - Business Insider (http://www.businessinsider.com/egypt-and-the-united-arab-emirates-bombed-libya-2014-8)

kotakota
26th Aug 2014, 08:29
If this is true , we have two GCAA members arming , and bombing , different sides . Not the greatest idea . Time will tell .

Dubaian
26th Aug 2014, 08:56
Long article from the New York Times

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/26/world/africa/egypt-and-united-arab-emirates-said-to-have-secretly-carried-out-libya-airstrikes.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&version=LedeSum&module=first-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=1

SADDLER
26th Aug 2014, 09:16
Great news
At least someone is standing up to them.
Why should Obama be consulted anymore he is a weak leader who is scared of being ridiculed. If ever the west needed to step up to the mark, it is now.

guemes
26th Aug 2014, 10:30
Ah....Fox News viewer.

SADDLER
26th Aug 2014, 11:01
Hi there

Can't get fox where I live and in any case I like to think my views would be taken from different angles, as no side as the monopoly on truth.
I realise in the States opinions can be polarised and you sound like you could be one of those individuals.
Anyway my views are just an opinion.

Dubaian
26th Aug 2014, 11:05
Now also on BBC News.
BBC News - Libya crisis: US 'caught off-guard' by air strikes (http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-28933070)

It seems UAE tried to intervene against the Islamists, but at least as far as Tripoli Airport is concerned, it failed. The Islamic group now have control - - - over a bombed out, burnt out, closed facility.

lowstandard
26th Aug 2014, 12:56
EK is getting really aggressive about getting back into TIP.

Payscale
26th Aug 2014, 16:24
Kotakota
Do you mean GCC? GCAA Doesnt make sense

Outatowner
26th Aug 2014, 18:28
did anybody hear that UAE aircraft are bombing bad guys in Libya?

No, I didn't hear that.

did anybody hear that UAE aircraft are bombing bad guys in Libya?

Who are the "bad guys"???? - Italians? Americans?

Apparently totally independently with no help or knowledge from other Western nations.

Bull ****.
I sincerely doubt that, considering uae operates F-16s and Mirage 2000s. That and the fact they are the most useless, fattest bunch of worthless f***s every to put on a uniform and try to bomb people who cannot shoot back.

GCAA - wtf does the GCAA have to do with this, are they trying to approve 12hr duty periods for F-16 pilots (only with inflight refueling) ?

kotakota
26th Aug 2014, 19:24
Ok , ok , GCC , lets not get in a twist . Of course I didn't mean the Civil Aviation Authority of Grenada , Georgia or Ghana !

halas
26th Aug 2014, 19:54
Was wondering why a UAE A330MRTT was parked at the far end of the military apron at HECA the other day.

halas

crewmeal
27th Aug 2014, 05:49
Oh dear I suppose this means the people smugglers will be busy from now on.

Scores feared dead after boat sinks off Libya - Middle East - Al Jazeera English (http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeast/2014/08/scores-feared-lost-after-boat-sinks-off-libya-201482354229184773.html)

Mr R Sole
27th Aug 2014, 10:56
The Libyans wish to embrace democracy and the moderate Islamists will need to be listened to and included in a future Libya. The dictatorial approach to freedom of speech that is used by the UAE, (and most Gulf states) is not needed or welcome in Libya. Not only have the UAE used force when diplomacy is what is really needed but they seem to have forgot that the biggest threat in that country is in the East and not the West.

Otto Throttle
29th Aug 2014, 05:05
It was a mistake. They were aiming for Israel, but they fly like they drive.

Snake man
29th Aug 2014, 11:11
That was the funniest post in weeks!

ruserious
29th Aug 2014, 11:45
Good video analysis here from The Guardian (http://www.theguardian.com/world/video/2014/aug/29/why-is-the-united-arab-emirates-secretly-bombing-libya-video)

helen-damnation
2nd Sep 2014, 04:13
More worrying perhaps, is that no-one has commented on the threat to the UAE.
What will the response be by those who've been attacked. Reprisal, some form of like for like? :ugh:

goeasy
2nd Sep 2014, 09:07
Exactly, now UAE airlines may well be terror targets too... we are not quite as safe as we were before this!

fliion
2nd Sep 2014, 09:09
Very good point Helen.

When you target someone, you become their target.

We Americans know that, yet we have tools and experience to combat it. This country does not.

But 9/11 shows nothing is infallible.

Short sighted move for a country that relies on tourism & logistics...especially since the airport got taken by the targeted party anyway.

Tut tut tut.

f.

Trader
2nd Sep 2014, 10:33
The question remains - WHY did the UAE participate?

Was is simply to 'flex' their muscles and show what they can do? Was is to send a message to Qatar, with whom the UAE and GCC have been having issues? Did they or do they feel they now have to act against a threat to the UAE?

I'm pretty sure it wasn't just on a whim.

But it does make things riskier in this region.

justwhenyouthought..
4th Sep 2014, 10:25
As per the previous poster's question, what does the UAE hope to gain from the attack on Libya ? and was there no report in the local press ? all being kept secret ?? come on !!

testing their new kit on the Libyans....... giving all the new national service men/women something to look forward to perhaps....

I can see no value to the UAE of taking this step.

Trader
4th Sep 2014, 11:58
But the UAE does see value in the move! So my question is what is it! Is there a real fear? Combine this with the GCC slowly breaking apart with their issues with Qatar and it becomes an issue for all of us living here.

MrMachfivepointfive
4th Sep 2014, 11:59
I think it was a message aimed at Qatar in the ongoing diplomatic struggle about the funding of Islamist groups.

dxb_8788
4th Sep 2014, 20:09
As you said , Message to Qatar or ISIS :D

Reinhardt
6th Sep 2014, 05:11
As said, Airbus 330 tanker(s) of UAEAF to support the package of fighters.

Those fighters were not F16s.

They were the other model from the UAEAF inventory, supplied by another great western nation (who has a permanent joint-services base in the UAE)

People from this nation knew more than well about the raid - and US didn't. I can understand their frustration.

Even if you read ....
The officials said the U.A.E. — which boasts one of the most effective air forces in the Arab world, thanks to American equipment and training — provided the pilots, warplanes and aerial refueling planes necessary for the fighters to bomb Tripoli out of bases in Egypt. It was unclear if the planes or munitions were American-made.
Equipment and training is not a US privilege, even if so many would like to believe it. So it was perfectly clear which aircraft were involved, but how unpleasant to swallow for them, apart from being left in ignorance.
United States diplomats were fuming about the airstrikes
That's a good summary

pilotday
6th Sep 2014, 13:15
If the UAE Air Force was Australian trained, they'd still be in briefing

Chocks Away
7th Sep 2014, 05:45
I think it was a message aimed at Qatar in the ongoing diplomatic struggle about the funding of Islamist groups.

Good point there.
Pity Qatar have such short memories, as they were nearly swept off the Arabian Peninsular by a Saudi take over, if not for the huge US Air base just to their south, some years back.
They may need to read "How to win friends & influence people."

recceguy
7th Sep 2014, 11:17
that was not F16 .... but airline pilots usually don't know much about military aircraft (even civilian types other than theirs)
same with the political considerations regarding Qatar and GCC - better to concentrate on your SOP calls, habibi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEe3xfWfkG8

scandistralian
7th Sep 2014, 11:52
If the UAE Air Force was Australian trained, they'd still be in briefing

Yep, the Yanks are usually too busy telling you about themselves to brief :ok:

Outatowner
7th Sep 2014, 14:49
All true, yes, but if the UAEAF had been US supported, instead of misses their raid would've successfully resulted in a wedding party obliterated, a bunch of Canadian troops bombed, a British convoy hit with mavericks, a couple of friendly helos and a Tornado shot down and a Chinese embassy flattened.

Maybe a longer brief ain't such a bad idea, pardner!!

"Just sayin'!!" :ok:

pilotday
7th Sep 2014, 17:32
Its hard to debate cowards when they don't admit their home country.

At least scandistralian gives a good hint where he calls home.

When China invades Australia, it will be easy, China will already have the Red Flag raised over Canberra before the Australian Air Force leaves the briefing room.

However their briefing will only include how their American made fighter aircraft suck so bad and what awful Yank practice it is to tip.

on second thought, China doesn't want Australia, what is there? Maybe a coal mine.

scandistralian
7th Sep 2014, 18:11
It's ok the Chinese can have Canberra... At least they will never invade Perth, too afraid of the Quokkas

Seriously though probably fair time to give the casual racism a break and get back to discussing the issues.

falconeasydriver
7th Sep 2014, 18:49
If they were trained by "HM's flying club" they would at least have some more refined manners and know how to cook…

Gordon Ramsay flies a Tornado F3 - YouTube

BTW Pilot day If the UAE Air Force was Australian trained, they'd still be in briefing Is possibly the best comment I've read from a septic in a long long time, well played sir...:ok:

fliion
7th Sep 2014, 20:01
Rupert Murdoch, Nicole Kidman & Mel Gibson - the three most famous Aussies on the planet - all have one thing in common...

....their American passports.

Doh!

There's only one difference between a yank and an Ozzie.

We know we're hated.

; >

f.

new tomcat
7th Sep 2014, 20:46
But our contracts and hourly pay are sure respected.

Outatowner
8th Sep 2014, 04:14
Well there's at least one other difference.. the ozzies can probably find their own country on a map!

lj3iNxZ8Dww

At least she knows who her father is!

scandistralian
8th Sep 2014, 06:08
There's only one difference between a yank and an Ozzie. We know we're hated

We are slowly working that part out, You also managed to ditch the Brits which is still a work in progress for us...

fliion
8th Sep 2014, 09:22
Right back to business (half my buds are Ozzies - much better fun slagging over a beer! :> )

NY Times reporting that the UAE has volunteered to conduct air strikes on ISIS.

Reflecting on previous post that once you target an entity you become a target.

Messy stuff.

f.

scandistralian
8th Sep 2014, 12:57
Too right Fliion :ok: