PDA

View Full Version : Intercom background ’hiss’.

Studsgaard
25th Aug 2014, 22:18
Hi guys,

I supposedly fly a very modern and high tech Falcon 7X but they forgot to install a squelsh function on the intercom...
The mics pick up the background hiss from the noisy cockpit and transmits via intercom. This is ONLY an intercom issue!
On my old Citation this was easily solved with the squelsh knop but not that lucky with the 7X. I’ve tried various headsets and asked my captains to try different headsets but it makes no difference. The ANR headsets won’t make any difference either due to the noise coming from intercom.

Is it possible to get a headset with squelsh adjustment or an ‘external squelsh box’ to connect between sockets and my headset?

Thanks!

Studsgaard

glendalegoon
26th Aug 2014, 04:20
is it voice activated? a VOX?

there might be an adjustment an avionics technician could make, you should really check with the avionics tech I think.

CL300
26th Aug 2014, 07:32
What brand / model of headset are you using ?

Studsgaard
27th Aug 2014, 19:36
It is not VOX.
My headset is Sennheiser HME45 KE.

jetsun
27th Aug 2014, 21:56
I have the same issue with the Saab 2000 but nobody else seems to notice or care much.
I also tried a noise-cancelling headset but it only served to isolate the white noise, making it seemingly worse.

AEUENG
27th Aug 2014, 22:19
Hi Studsgaard,

Try and get hold of a Telex Airman 750 or 850 headset, they have a microphone attenuation potentiometer in the earpiece adjacent to the microphone boom, plug it in to your aircraft and tweak the headset potentiometer until the point where the hiss is 'squelched'.

Just also check that you dont have a headset in the jumpseat and the mic on hotmic setting, ive seen that causing the same problem as you describe before as well.

There are adjustments that can be done in audio control panels / audio amplifiers too to help eradicate your problem.

Good luck.

Above The Clouds
28th Aug 2014, 07:48
The telex 850 works well in this situation.

CL300
28th Aug 2014, 17:09
The Sennheiser is on the list of approved headsets ?

Arkwright
28th Aug 2014, 20:28
Check that the f/a's headset isn't the issue......when you do an oxy test on the crew masks it turns all three crew stations to speaker......if the f/a's headset is near the speaker.......

I fly a 7X and have had no problems. We all use Bose ANR headsets. Failing that, in the cruise, release the "Backup" button on the MKB.

Studsgaard
29th Aug 2014, 06:08
Thanks for your input guys.
Sennheiser is approved.
No headset/mic in audio 3.
Will the Telex solution work if only I use it my side and the capt. uses something else? I guess not since the noise comes from his mic and hence needs to filtered out on his side?