PDA

View Full Version : Java - do I need it?

Pelikal
22nd Aug 2014, 19:02
Idiot question. Lately, I've been constantly informed that a Java update is available and would I like to install it. I haven't because I don't know what it does! I seem to remember on one these forums that a query was raised but I don't know where it was.

I've done a search and some advice seems to be just get rid of Java from the system. Would appreciate any advice. I'm not a developer if that's any help.

Cheers.

Flying Bull
22nd Aug 2014, 21:12
Of you have it, you should Update it, cause older versions a open doors for malware.
Some webpages use it.
If you don't know, googlesearch helps....

onetrack
23rd Aug 2014, 00:04
Pelikal, Java programs are used to provide interactive graphics on billions of websites. These small, stand-alone programs are called Java Applets and they provide for some amazing graphics and multiple levels of intense information within webpages.

Java programs are recognised as being very useful and largely trouble-free, and they are accepted by 99.9% of computer users.
You need to download the Java Virtual Machine program to be able to view Java Applets - and the JVM requires regular updates to ensure the best, trouble-free viewing of Java graphics, and to keep up with increased security levels and other newer program developments that Java has to work with.

Java is free, it works admirably, and the only problem I have had, is an over-active anti-virus program that will stop Java from working properly, unless I ensure the AV program is advised that Java is a friendly program that does not need to be blocked.

Below is an example of a website that uses multiple Java applets to provide a high level of interactive information.
The website is the West Australian Govt's Land Information Authority, Landgate.
On this site, I can select an address anywhere in Western Australia and view multiple views of any titled property in the State, and find out a wide range of other information about titles and properties.
If you do not have Java loaded on your computer, you will not see anything worthwhile on this website.

https://www.landgate.wa.gov.au/bmvf/app/mapviewer/

MG23
23rd Aug 2014, 06:01
If you don't know whether you need it, you probably don't.

If you do keep it, then, yes, you will be downloading a huge update every three days.

mixture
23rd Aug 2014, 06:47
Good Day Sir Pelikal,

Lost the ability to click the search button have we ? :cool:

Try :

http://www.pprune.org/computer-internet-issues-troubleshooting/533687-java-update.html

or

http://www.pprune.org/computer-internet-issues-troubleshooting/505363-java-security-problems.html

Java programs used to be used to provide interactive graphics on billions of websites. These were small, stand-alone programs are called Java Applets and provided some amazing graphics and multiple levels of intense information within webpages.

There, fixed that for ya' onetrack :E

Quite frankly, on today's internet, I think you'd be hard pushed to find "billions of websites" using Java applets. Adobe Flash is far more likely, or the bleeding edge guys will be following the trend of increasing usage of HTML5.

The only place I come across java applets these days isn't for graphics, but more for specific business applications, e.g. some of the subscription services used in the financial industry.

Java still has a role in the modern world, but it ain't client-side applets.... its server-side J2EE.

(As an aside, no, JavaScript has nothing to do with traditional Java .... and yes, I despise the way JavaScript is abused by lazy developers these days to do stuff client-side which should be done server-side)

Pelikal
23rd Aug 2014, 08:21
Lost the ability to click the search button have we ?

Apparently so....:E One of those links was one I recall.

I tried the landgate site, it pointed out my Java is out of date. I suppose my main worry is that something else would get installed on top of Java which I don't want/need. I'm fed up with the messages anyway so I think I'll update.

Thanks for replies:ok:

mixture
23rd Aug 2014, 10:04
I suppose my main worry is that something else would get installed on top of Java which I don't want/need.

Oracle are OK, they don't "hide" extras in their installers.

Pelikal
23rd Aug 2014, 10:15
Ok, cheers for that. Old Java uninstalled and latest installed, all appears fine.

belfrybat
24th Aug 2014, 04:05

The installer gives an "option" to install some toolbar or other which is set by default. Unless you pay attention you'll get it and it's a PITA to get rid of.

Adobe Flash wants to load some McAfee stuff on you.

Phalconphixer
25th Aug 2014, 10:14
I think the problem is that Java help files tend to be in technospeak which for a lot of folks, including myself, tends to be lost on he average consumer like water on a swans back. The same applies to Wordpress when attempting to set up a blog. Any query to the experts at wordpress rapidly deteriorates into scarcely hidden scathing remarks such as 'if you dont know what it means why the hell are you using it...' Geekspeak at its worse...

pp.

mixture
25th Aug 2014, 19:48
'if you dont know what it means why the hell are you using it...' Geekspeak at its worse...

Well, unfortunately, that's the very point with Java ....

If you were using a website that required you to run a java applet, you'd probably know about it.

If you were using a locally installed java software application.... you'd probably already know about it.

Hence .... if you don't know what it is or what you need it for, you are unlikely to have any use for it.

Uninstalling Java won't do you any harm. If you find some software or website breaks after you've uninstalled it, you can easily reinstall it.

lomapaseo
25th Aug 2014, 23:21
'if you dont know what it means why the hell are you using it...' Geekspeak at its worse...
Well, unfortunately, that's the very point with Java ....

If you were using a website that required you to run a java applet, you'd probably know about it.

If you were using a locally installed java software application.... you'd probably already know about it.

Hence .... if you don't know what it is or what you need it for, you are unlikely to have any use for it.

Uninstalling Java won't do you any harm. If you find some software or website breaks after you've uninstalled it, you can easily reinstall it.

There are quite a few things in my computer folders they I have no idea what they do. The computer seems to work albeit slow sometimes.

I guess the best way to find out what's really important is to start deleting stuff that my update screen says it needs updating. That way I can tell afterwards what was really important when stuff doesn't work at all and the screen turns blue from the cold.

Booglebox
26th Aug 2014, 05:55

apart from the "ask toolbar" :yuk:

Biggles78
8th Sep 2014, 16:45
When you need to Update Java, make sure you do it from the java.com website (yes, there is the auto update on my machine but I am a paranoid person of questionable parentage). IMO, do NOT use any "update" options from a website that you may be on.

At time of posting I am on the current Version 7 Update 65. On a recent website it was wanting me to update to v7 u60 (some want an even older update). Some of these sites have a modified Java version that installs nefarious software on your machine. :ouch: Ergo, only update from java.com or use the Check For Updates that is in the Start Menu if you have Windows 7. Don't know where to find that option on Windows 8/8.1 but if you add a Classic Shell applet you will have a Windows 7 menu.