PDA

View Full Version : Saying it right

a1rm4n
21st Aug 2014, 22:32
I've not yet looked at the regulations for this but I've come across several ways that describe an aircraft engineer such as:

- Aircraft Maintenance Engineer (AME)

- Licensed Aircraft Engineer (LAE)

- Licensed Aircraft Maintenance Engineer (LAME)

- Other terms like Aircraft Engineer/Technician/Mechanic

So I'm wondering if there's a summary anywhere about how you say it right it in each place given that there are several regulations around the world. If not, I would appreciate it if you can help shed some light on the official term from each regulation (EASA Part 66, FAA Part 65 etc).

Cheers!

boeing_eng
29th Aug 2014, 11:16
Are you serious!:confused::ugh:...You can call me what you like as long as the pay goes in the bank at the end of the month!

a1rm4n
1st Sep 2014, 21:07
Any other slightly more helpful ideas from anyone?

Genghis the Engineer
1st Sep 2014, 22:29
It's unanswerable.

Different countries, communities, branches of aviation have different terminology. The term "Engineer" is used quite differently in different places - as are "technician" and "mechanic". Also different places have different licences.

Basically, the right answer is the normal practice where you are at the moment.

Chartered Engineer / Incorporated Engineer / Engineering Technician are further titles used in the UK for another kind of Engineer, in the USA the equivalent to our CEng is PEng: Professional Engineer (does that mean that other Engineers in the USA are unprofessional? - I really hope not), whilst in Eire the equivalent of the British IEng is "Associate Engineer".

It would be great to have a world standard - but there isn't, and probably never will be.

G

Capt Quentin McHale
2nd Sep 2014, 05:57
Ok boeing eng,

I shall call you "late for lunch", and the money is in the bank!!!

McHale.;););)