PDA

View Full Version : Ink Blot tests.

ifish
27th May 2002, 11:56
A recent interview for an International company had a lot of time spent on the Ink Blots, writing a story and drawing pictures of trees. Been away from the interview scene for some time - is this a standard with companies now? No problem with it just curious as to what " they" are using around the place. ( No I didn't wet the bed, and my trees all need a PPRUNE and that inkblot looks like that female anatomy cross-section I always seem to find in the textbooks.)

ifish

Draco
27th May 2002, 13:13
Sorry, is it just me?

I understand most of the words in the above posting, but the meaning/issue is entirely lost on me!

Nick Lappos
27th May 2002, 14:04
ifish,

I too would be skitterish of an ink blot test, they all do look like tasty pieces of anatomy, and make me want some Chianti......

Hannibal Lechter

Grainger
27th May 2002, 15:50
There is only one good answer to this test:

"It looks like a Rorschach Inkblot Test to me"

Draco
27th May 2002, 16:09
Sorry about my above post, I had never heard of an ink blot test.

For the benefit of people as ignorant as myself, here's a link which seems to be the best explanation of ink blot tests.

http://skepdic.com/inkblot.html

do people take these seriously?

R

Whirlybird
27th May 2002, 17:17
OK, having got a Psychology degree many years back in my mis-spent youth, here's the very little I remember about the Rorschach test (ink blots)...

It's supposed to be used as a "standardised interview" rather than an actual test. That is, there are no right or wrong answers; it's just supposed to give you some idea what the person is like.

It's "normal" to see parts of the female anatomy in some cards. Or parts of the male anatomy for that matter. There's one that's referred to as the "sex card"; I think it's number 6, but I can't remember. It has lots of bits curving in and out, so you're likely to see...well, you don't need me to spell it out do you? :D

It's normal for some to look like pelvises and so on, but if you think all of them do, that's considered odd - unless you happen to be a medical student.

It shouldn't be used alone, but in conjunction with other tests, interviews, etc etc - but I believe it does get misused by people with little or no training.

That's about all I remember, but I'd say don't worry about it. Nobody's going to find out your deep dark secrets from what you see in ink blots; they shouldn't anyway. And does it work? I've no idea. Plenty of psychologists think it's rubbish, some think it works, some think it just might be useful and at least gets people talking.

Hope that load of crap is a bit of use to someone. :D

Arm out the window
27th May 2002, 19:59
Yes, but how do you really FEEL about that?

ShyTorque
27th May 2002, 21:32
A would-be pilot went for a job interview and was subjected to psychometric testing.

The interviewer told him to say the first thing that came into his mind when shown some simple pictures.

First, a triangle. "Hey, a naked woman", said the pilot.

Second, a circle. "Uh-huh, me with no clothes on!", was the reply.

Thirdly, a rectangle. " A double bed, with me and the naked woman in it making mad, passionate love!" came the eager answer.

"Good grief, man - you're a sex maniac!" said the interviewer.

"How dare you!" said Biggles. " You're the one with the dirty pictures!"

Whirlybird
28th May 2002, 08:13
:D :D :D :D :D

CyclicRick
29th May 2002, 19:03
How many psychologists does it take to change a light bulb?

Just one, but he must REALLY want to do it.

My nearly ex-wife is a psyhcologist and oh boy does she NEED one.