PDA

View Full Version : Crisis in the Charters?

Southern Fairey
20th Sep 2001, 00:35
All,

I think that everyone who reads this forum is quite aware of the potential "situation" that the aviation fraternity face at the moment. However, is the problem as wide and deep as some people might be fearing?

It is clear that UK and other European scheduled carriers are unfortunately suffering from the decline in trans-atlantic traffic, and are perhaps reacting as we would expect in a manner to protect themselves from further damage. However, is it likely that these problems will filter through to inter-European operators, and in particular, the charter lines? I personally think it will take something more for the situation to develop to this level (a middle-east confilct?), but am interested to hear the thoughts of those with more experience in the industry!

My condolonces for anyone who has been effected in some way by the recent events,

Regards,

SF.

thecoltster
20th Sep 2001, 01:37
Read 'Infinretirements thread'...'don't panic it will all work out' I think his experienced words make the most sense about the situation we all face.
Throughout these recent threads I have very much sat on the side lines watching wannabes and moderators constantly post threads about the unfortunate situation in which we find us...which is very understandable, alot of these discussions I believe contain certain amounts of truth and sensible thinking, however I also think 'hype' and guesswork has played a large part on peoples opinions...make your own mind up!!

The thread I mentioned is very 'matter of fact' and seems to put the situation we're faced with in a great deal of perspective.
Good Luck

[ 19 September 2001: Message edited by: thecoltster ]

Wee Weasley Welshman
20th Sep 2001, 05:03
Remember the period 1991 - 1995 when Britannia didn't hire anyone without prior commercial experience and then only a few dozen.

Well that could be 2001 - 2005.

In a recession the very 1st thing people put off is next years holiday in the sun.

You can be as upbeat as you like but the facts are Virgin are laying off pilots, BA need to do so but probably won't, every other airline is raidly curtailing any thoughts of expansion. Lots of ex-pat brits operating the Middle East, US and Asia may soon be heading back to Blighty...

Hope not but there are old pilots and there are bold pilots but....

Good luck, hope I get proved wrong.

Wee Weasley Welshman
20th Sep 2001, 13:38
Q. What happens to all of JMC's airbuses in the Winter?

A. They go to the US for charter work.

Q. Will the US need a fleet of jet airliners this winter for charter flying, or indeed, any spare pilots?

A. Probably not would actually be my guess

Q. Will JMC be hiring pilots soon?

A. .............?

Sorry,

[ 20 September 2001: Message edited by: Wee Weasley Welshman ]