PDA

View Full Version : Jubilee Concorde paint job?

Surly Bondslipper
27th May 2002, 10:10
I hear that there is a plan to do a bit of extra decorating on the Concorde that will be barrelling up the Mall as centrepiece of the big Jubilee flypast. The idea is to write GOD SAVE THE QUEEN right across the underside as a nice surprise for Her Maj.

Nice idea, if true - if total b*llox, apologies. ;)

gordonroxburgh
28th May 2002, 19:10
I just hope Her Maj isn't reading these forums, otherwise you have just ruined the surprise!

If anyone is interested there is a practice run at RAF Marham on Wed28th at around 15:30 head of the main even on Tuesday.

stagger
28th May 2002, 21:01
I'm sure someone else must have posted this but just in case. The scheduled list of a/c include...

C-17 Globemaster
TriStar with two Tornado GA4s
E3 Sentry with two Tornado F3s
VC10 with two Jaguars
Nimrod with two Canberras
BAe 146 with two BAe125s
Eurofighter (Typhoon)
Concorde in formation with the Red Arrows

Iron City
29th May 2002, 13:52
What an airshow. Would never happen in US, low flight over open air assembly of people/populated urban area.

Way to go. Will the BBC have live TV coverage?

BEagle
30th May 2002, 16:01
My what an impressive flypast that'll be.

In 1953, the Coronation Review of the RAF consisted of a flypast of 641 aircraft, some 49 separate formations of aircraft in 27 minutes starting with a Sycamore helicopter at 75 kts and concluding with a Swift at 580 kts. In addition to the flypast at Odiham, there were also 318 other aircraft on static display.......

Forgive me if I don't bother to look up at the mere couple of dozen that we can manage to scrape together these days.

steamchicken
30th May 2002, 16:11
Should be a good day for noise complaints!

InFinRetirement
30th May 2002, 17:51
Beags, won't you be looking down? Damn shame if you are not.

Just a tiny point, but aren't the Reds in formation with Concorde? Seems this time around that Concorde is out in front.

Still a nice sight though.

stagger
30th May 2002, 23:30
I have to say I'm not tremendously excited about the prospect of being able to catch a glimpse of a BAe 146 over London - but wish I could be there to see Concorde with the Arrows though.

Living in Norfolk I do get to see quite a few fast jets banging about the skies - mostly USAF. Are they meant to be using afterburners at night over quiet villages? Doesn't happen too often but it's pretty impressive when you're on the way home from the pub:cool:

Man-on-the-fence
31st May 2002, 10:39
Iron City

What about the USAF Flypasts at each NASCAR even this year??

Iron City
3rd Jun 2002, 13:04
The NASCAR flypasts are not actually over the crowd and a apparantly high enough to satisfy somebody at the local FSDO. Then again they are NASCAR races where fans do occasionally get hit with pieces of racer.

The flyovers that have been more exciting since 9/11 have been the AF Res guys with F-15s and F-16s with guns and missiles hot with their version of a CAP. They usually stay pretty high but you can still hear them at night.

Fullback
3rd Jun 2002, 18:59
Stagger..... The 146 has played it's part in getting Her Majesty from A to B over the years (and blemished the flying record of someone close to her as well...;) :p ).

Besides, you'll see 146s over London everyday. It's called London City Airport and they are one of the few that can get in there.

PAXboy
4th Jun 2002, 21:02
Watching the fly-past on TV was dismal.

Most of the shots were from the airship mounted camera, whilst it was interesting to see the air-to-air for a few moments, what it failed to do was to convey to the TV viewer what it was like for the folks on the ground!

None of the a/c were shown from ground leverl - at least not on the BBC - for anything more than two seconds. The sound was heavily muted too.

To cap it all, at the moment the VC10 came along and was about to be shown from below in her spectacular silhouette .... they cut to the balcony and one of the young princes. Gaaaahhhh.

Guess I'll have to go to the Fairford tattoo.

Mycroft
4th Jun 2002, 22:11
Having seen said display from ground level on The Mall between Buck House and Admiralty Arch I can see why coverage had probs. There would have been too short an interval between elements for either camera (on the roof of each building) to follow a group of a/c overhead and then swing down to catch the next element (all the shots I saw seemed to come from the Admiralty Arch camera, but I did tend to watch the real thing rather than the big screens). There would also have been broadcast problems with the rapidity of zooming/panning required to follow each a/c thoughout its manouevre, such rapidity of movement looking terrible on screen, the C17 for example being followed for at least 30 seconds at full screen width. Incidently most (if not all) of the aerial shots were from helicopters, not airships.
The BBC wrecked their own sound recording, belting out The Dambusters March so loudly that amidst the cheering none of the RAF a/c could be heard on the ground.

expedite_climb
5th Jun 2002, 07:01
Looked great, but I'm glad I wasnt the Red sat under the backside of Concorde !!!!

Captain Airclues
5th Jun 2002, 07:58
Mycroft

Pedantic I know, but wasn't it the theme from '633 Sqadron'?

Airclues