PDA

View Full Version : UK Onboard Security Rules changed?

Davef68
18th Aug 2014, 10:33
Last week, going through both Luton and Edinburgh I noticed a that the list of prohibited items included (quite prominently) 'Scissors or knives with blades of more than 6 cm".

Does this mean knives with blades of less than 6cm are allowed? I thought all sharp objects were banned. If so, has this changed recently or have I just missed this in the last 10 years or so? :-)

mixture
18th Aug 2014, 11:10
Does this mean knives with blades of less than 6cm are allowed? I thought all sharp objects were banned. If so, has this changed recently or have I just missed this in the last 10 years or so? :-)

As someone who accidentally left a pair of scissors in their laptop bag before a flight late last week, I can very much tell you that the rules have not changed.

Good job on the part of the Xray op too... because my laptop bag was full of cables and other gubbins on that day too !

ExXB
18th Aug 2014, 11:28
I believe that 6cm has been the rule for some time now, but note that 'box-cutters' of any size are specifically banned.

I also recall that a couple of years ago the TSA tried to adopt the EU standard 6cm blade rule. Lobbying by with the US congress by various groups stopped that in its tracks. So different rules in EU and US.

Laarbruch72
18th Aug 2014, 12:23
The pertinent question is whether the item is pointed AND / OR over 6 cm.
You can keep your nail scissors etc if they have rounded ends. In practice of course, there aren't that many small blades out there that aren't pointy.

https://www.gov.uk/hand-luggage-restrictions/personal-items

RevMan2
19th Aug 2014, 14:23
I also recall that a couple of years ago the TSA tried to adopt the EU standard 6cm blade rule

The flight attendants' union lobbied hard (and successfully) against the change, forgetting entirely that flights TO the USA are - solely due to 6cm blades (about the same length as the metal knives provided with meals...) - horrendously unsafe, whereas flights FROM the USA (where guns are regularly found in passengers' hand luggage) are as safe as houses...

Piltdown Man
19th Aug 2014, 18:26
There's only one problem with the DfT's lists... Your local jobsworths apply more onerous restrictions, purely because they can. So even if the DfT say X is possible, it won't necessarily apply at your airport. As for knives, you can buy your Swiss Army knife (or a whole box full of them) airside in Zurich. All legit as their blades are no longer than 6cm. But who needs a knife? There are amazing weapons that can be fashioned from all sorts of things found in airports and aircraft. Any ex-con or prison guard will tell you what can be done. Unfortunately, the theatre of security fails to deny those who would do us harm access because it's the people who are the real threat.

PM

Davef68
22nd Aug 2014, 13:17
Don't even need to be an old lag, anyone with a bit of imagination could make all manner of weapons from a quick trip to Boots!

On at least two occasions in recent years I have inadvertently travelled with a very sharp implement on my person.

OFSO
25th Aug 2014, 13:41
Pre embarking at GRO/GRN my wife was found to have a sharp sculpting implement which had slipped into the lining of her handbag. The Guardia Civil doing the inspections (in Spain airport security is handled by the Guardia Civil) told her it was no problem taking it on the flight to the UK but she would not be allowed to embark with it in her possession on the return journey.

So much for coordination within the EU.

Incidently the sculpting implement was an expensive one, I was allowed up to the security area and to take it from her.