PDA

View Full Version : Effects on training establishments??

dakersg
19th Sep 2001, 16:19
With all the talk about the crisis in the airline industry and advice on delaying training, I wonder what impact this will all have on all the training schools.

I don't imagine interviews with airlines can be "guaranteed" any more (if indeed they were anyway). And with the recent close down at one school recently, will this now be repeated elsewhere? I'm not suggesting this will become an issue, but surely its something that must be considered. Any thoughts?
:confused:

Metsys
19th Sep 2001, 19:55
As a redundant PPSC instructor, with a pile of CV's out and no replies!I am starting to wonder myself on the effects on FTO's.

The airline sponsored schools could find life difficult, if BA is not putting any more cadets through, others may follow suit. After all, why pay for training when the market could suddenly find very many type rated pilots available. A situation I know well from my professional pilot career!

I know Air Malta will continue to complete the two courses in Jerez, as they are doing so to 'Maltese' the airline, with the 30 odd foreign pilots completing their contracts and looking for something new.

Not knowing who is training who, I cannot comment, but if sponsored cadets dry up, then things don't look good, as self sponsored students may well bide their time and as I well know, we at PPSC could not stay viable on self-sponsored students alone! Why should all the others.

Not giving up yet though, still trying to find a new FTO to take me on, but am starting to look in the local paper for jobs suitable for a an ex-pilot with six years experience as an ATPL met instructor, any ideas!!!!!!

In the meantime, sorry to hear about some of you who already know that your services are no longer required, hope we all find something before too long. For those not yet started, I would suggest a modicum of caution before saying goodbye to a substantial chunk of cash. For those still in training, I don't think you have much choice...keep going. I have been here before and it sorted itself out, though it was later not earlier and I did have multi thousand hours when the breaks came!

Remember, normal aviation is a sine wave, you just have to make sure you come in 'in phase'!

John Standen (ex SECOAT, ex PPSC)