PDA

View Full Version : Computer shutting down

BOAC
13th Aug 2014, 17:04
No 2 son has a Gigabyte mobo in his desktop PC. It is shutting itself down at exactly 30 minutes. First step was to replace the PSU - same.

It matters not whether we leave it on the Bios setup or boot into Win7, exactly 30 minutes each time. All temperatures are normal, fans ok. This has me beat!

The internet has several similar cases with other mobos but no solutions. I am not aware of any BIOS or mobo setting that will actually shut down at a fixed time - is there one?

Prazum
13th Aug 2014, 18:31
The thing is that if that occurs while in BIOS, and it occurs at exactly 30 mins then some sort of timer is running. It won't be anything relating to temperature or power since both would be shutting down the system at a not specified and exact set of time. So it must be BIOS or any other rom type software inside a chip or controller.
Is this happening on a new motherboard since you first installed it or it started to happen after a few weeks/months?
Try unplugging everything. Remove the motherboard battery for a few minutes and reset bios. Plug in the the motherboard on the PSU (preferrably another PSU, perhaps an old one which will still have enough power to boot a mobo-ram-cpu) with only the CPU, RAM and a keyboard on Also I don't know what firmware you motherboard came with, but if it wasn't the first version then you might want to give it a try just to make sure it is not a firmware bug which got inherited from one version to another.

Taken from Toms Hardware web site

Don Coyote
13th Aug 2014, 19:42
I had problems with a Gigabyte motherboard and it was the PCI slot causing random shutdowns. Putting the graphics card in a different slot or using inboard graphics stopped the shutdowns. I had to replace motherboard in the end.

In your case, the 30 minutes is odd and some timer event, power saving etc must be the cause. Is there a power save setting on USB peripherals or other external devices.

As mentioned by Prazum, disconnect everything you can, take out graphics card and use inboard etc and see what happens.

BOAC
13th Aug 2014, 21:23
Thanks, all. We've also been through Tom's pages with no results. The conclusion that it is a 'timer' is ours too, but we cannot find anything that is
a)Set for 30 minutes
b)Will shut down the pc

The board is around a year old, and the problem started when the machine was moved out for redecoration. We have tried with most bits removed, but RAM yet to try. Firmware has not been changed. Initial suspicion was the mobo but the accurate 30 minutes cycle has cast doubt on that. On-board NIC has 'disappeared' as well and bizarrely the sections of the mobo install DVD which install NIC drivers do not appear in the 'menu' now.

Weird!

ShyTorque
13th Aug 2014, 21:52
I suffered a similar problem some years ago, although I never timed the shutdown intervals. It turned out to be the CPU.

BOAC
14th Aug 2014, 07:07
How did you establish that?

Loose rivets
14th Aug 2014, 08:09
Since it seemingly can't see an NIC, have you tried to disable it at BIOS level?

Some old timing circuits used to use heat and could easily be accurate within a minute out of 30, but not to a second out of 30 minuets.

My old HP shut down due to the capacitors adjacent to the CPU. It was a fairly accurate timing, but not exact. However, it might be worth a look at those to see if any are oozing. Usually 5 years old before that happens.

You might also look at core temps and see if one misbehaves, but again, accurate to a second in 30 minutes it wouldn't be.

It sounds like you've asked yourself what should comply with what at 30 mins - and does not.

Despite it seeming independent of OS, I'd still boot with a non-windows OS just to make sure.

BOAC
14th Aug 2014, 08:58
Agreed, LR - I will be booting with a Linux Mint DVD when I can get round, although since the '30 minutes' is evident in BIOS setup I don't think it will do much.

Ancient Observer
14th Aug 2014, 12:55
That's interesting, BOAC.

I've never heard of anyone decorating their pc before.

Did it need a new colour to blend in with the rest of the space, or was it just feng shui?

BOAC
14th Aug 2014, 13:59
I wanted a 'manly' beige but Mrs B insisted...............

Saab Dastard
14th Aug 2014, 18:03
Power Loading
Enables or disables dummy load. When the power supply is at low load, a self-protection will activate causing it to shutdown or fail. If this occurs, please set to Enabled. Auto lets the BIOS automatically configure this setting. (Default: Auto)

Worth seeing if you have this option in your BIOS?

SD

BOAC
14th Aug 2014, 18:15
On the list, Saab, but does not explain the timing.

ShyTorque
14th Aug 2014, 19:15
How did you establish that?

The CPU was changed under warranty.

stevef
15th Aug 2014, 06:09
Is it automatically connected to the internet? Try it without.
I vaguely remember having a computer problem that recurred after exactly 30 minutes and it was something to do with the exchange.

BOAC
15th Aug 2014, 07:20
stevef - a bit beyond me - can it be 'connected' with a 'missing' NIC and in te BIOS setup page? Nevertheless when I get a chance to visit I will be running with the Cat5 disconnected anyway.

Shy - I guess the CPU fault was established by a computer technician at a check?

ShyTorque
15th Aug 2014, 07:28
The PC was built for me. It never worked properly and the shop found the fault after it went back to them.

stevef
15th Aug 2014, 07:49
Oops, I didn't read the question properly (shutting down in BIOS after 30 minutes as well as after boot). As you were. :)
I wish I could remember my circumstances after four years but the 'exactly 30 minutes' stuck in my mind.

alexmartin11
16th Aug 2014, 02:20
If you tried removing the mobo battery and bios rest and still fails. Next probably use different PSU. PSU's are being updated and some advanced PSU got controller inside it. What I'm thinking is the automatic response of your PSU to shut it off if it detects overload.

BOAC
16th Aug 2014, 06:45
All done earlier, Alex.

Anyone - Is there any diagnosis that will determine whether the problem might be CPU or mobo without replacement?

Saab Dastard
16th Aug 2014, 09:13
Google CPU stress test, for a range of options.

SD

BOAC
16th Aug 2014, 16:49
Ta - I have downloaded 'HeavyLoad' and will see what it says when I get time.

boguing
17th Aug 2014, 17:40
Have a look at the 'wake on lan' section in the bios. Just thinking that it might have a setting for 'shut down after 30 mins of no network activity' and the fact that the NIC has disappeared is triggering it?

You might also check that the network socket hasn't been damaged in the move, causing the vanishing act.

alexmartin11
18th Aug 2014, 07:25
try to do this in CMD.

c:\>shutdown.exe -a

lol..

will wait for the result of your HeavyLoad

cheers!

BOAC
18th Aug 2014, 10:12
bog - a good thought. Waiting for 'an appointmemt' at No2 son's mansion. He is coping at present using a laptop and 30 minute 'Windows' on Windows on the problem desktop.

Booglebox
18th Aug 2014, 22:25
Not to hijack BOAC's thread, but I have a similar problem with one of my more gastropodic users' Sony VAIO* laptops going to standby after 5 mins of inactivity.
Checked power saving settings, BIOS, even wiped the whole machine with fresh no-OEM-crap OS - no change :{
* procured before the start of my reign

BOAC
19th Aug 2014, 07:19
BB - welcome aboard! The more the merrier. 2 Q's
1) Is this EXACTLY 5 minutes
2) Does it occur in the BIOS set up page?

Booglebox
20th Aug 2014, 14:33
Thanks old bean!
1. Yes, timed it
2. Haven't checked, good point. Although this thing has no BIOS, it is UEFI-based :hmm:

boguing
20th Aug 2014, 15:03
Does the Vaio do this with mains and/or only on battery?

BOAC
20th Aug 2014, 16:31
Boogle - I'm well out of date! However, my system has a 'EFI System partition' on the C drive which I understood to signify uefi, but boots into a 'Bios' page (Gigabyte mobo)

boguing
20th Aug 2014, 16:53
BOAC, UEFI is really 'bios mkII' and can be a useable operating system in its' own right. Some have a basic browser and basic programmes built-in. (A media centre etc..). My current pc has it, but I've had a look and can't see any settings that might be tripping Booglebox up.

A previous machine had a much more complex UEFI, but I don't have it here to play with.

Bb mentions that he's checked the 'bios', but it might be worth re-setting via the jumper/cmos battery if not already done.

BOAC
20th Aug 2014, 17:03
Understood, but my 'puzzle' is that I appear to have UEFI but boot into 'Bios'???

boguing
20th Aug 2014, 17:29
Some of the Uefi 'flavours' look like the bios that we're used to, but technically they aren't bios. Unified as opposed to basic, and partly backwards compatible, but it's splitting hairs really, I'm happy to call it bios if you are!

BOAC
20th Aug 2014, 19:45
What's in a name. I have a 'CMOS type battery - does that alter things?

boguing
20th Aug 2014, 20:07
Uefi/bios, prezactly.

But here we go again! It's not a cmos battery. You have a cell that keeps a chip (which may be cmos) from losing its' memory. Ramnesia. It's also a cell for powering all sorts of things, and may even be used in stacks of more than one to become a battery.

Have you attended to the needs of your Son and his computer yet?

BOAC
20th Aug 2014, 20:53
Have you attended to the needs of your Son and his computer yet? - no, I have an application for a meeting in his busy schedule.....

EDIT to add: His main work is property photography and the processing of the images for his clients. He is 'managing' with 30 minutes of Win7 and his Laptop which has all the stuff he needs, so the pressure is there but not high.

BOAC
26th Aug 2014, 17:11
Got an 'appointment' today. With everything out, just mobo, CPU and keyboard, there is no monitor output nor boot up, just cycling on/off of CPU fan. If we plug in lad's Graphics card and connect to that - normal display, boots into Windows7, but still shuts down at 30 mins either in BIOS screen or Win, all temps normal. Still 'missing' the NIC too.

Conclusion is mobo FUBAR. Would the glitterati agree?:)

boguing
26th Aug 2014, 17:18
Which motherboard and what processor?

Some of the recentish AMD socket boards won't run graphics without a specific cpu, and have to have a video card gpu to do that. You'd think that it's a duff board, but it isn't.

finncapt
27th Aug 2014, 08:29
As I posted on another thread, I have had that start up/shut down shuffle twice.

Once m/b and once it was power supply.

You could try a cheap power supply and and see if it stays awake with that, which may eliminate one or the other.

If the ethernet connection is broken it sounds as though a new m/b is required anyway.

I suspect a capacitor is breaking down - can you see any bulging of capacitors on the m/b.

Just try with the bare minimum or you may overload it - even linux on a usb stick if you want a temporary operating system to test with.

Not sure whether previous poster is thinking about AMD APU's, the later ones sometimes need bios updates before they will run.

I don't think that is your problem.

BOAC
27th Aug 2014, 11:20
Ta both - Mobo is a Gigabyte GA-H87M-HD3, which has, I think, an on-board VGA chip. No sign of capacitor problems and we have tried a new PSU. Currently investigating warranty!

boguing
27th Aug 2014, 14:18
Finncapt,. I was reading between the lines re: BOAC's mentioning the video not working wothout a graphics card. It is gotcha with some recent AMD boards. (I found out the hard way).

BOAC. That motherboard won't accept a dsub/dvi adapter from the onboard chip. You will need a graphics card if you are using a vga monitor. DVI and HDMI will work from the onboard chip. So don't write the board off if that's the case.

Have you checked the network socket for damage (crossed/bent contactor springs)? I still think that it may be causing the shut downs, and wonder whether your offspring used it or a wireless connection?

BOAC
27th Aug 2014, 16:32
Ta, bog - he is going to look into the Network connector, but it looks to me as if the VGA port on the back panel SHOULD have worked - if the mobo was ok?

He uses a D-Sub to DVI adapter for the graphics card but we just plugged in a standard d-sub VGA plug form the VGA monitor to the back panel.

Waiting on a ticket from the supplier (it is under12 months)

BOAC
1st Sep 2014, 21:15
Trying BIOS flash on Thursday to see if it sorts.

Mr Optimistic
2nd Sep 2014, 13:53
Presumably the autorun on the install DVD searches the h/w config and only offers drivers for what it finds. The nic disappearing from device manager looks like the big clue. Pull the power cable and take out the CMOS battery for half an hour? Is there an option to disable nic in BIOS which has got itself set? Maybe reset BIOS to default and see.

BOAC
2nd Sep 2014, 20:31
Tried those, Mr O. Hopes hanging on a 'new' BIOS Thursday, if not, an RMA

Rather bizarrely my Gigabyte PC (different board and 4 months old) went bananas this am and would not boot, stuck in a 2 second re-boot cycle with everything 'out'. Tested it with a different PSU and the verdict is MOBO or CPU so the assembly is out of the machine awaiting an RMA. Co-incidence or what? This comes from my laptop .....waiting for the third of three...................

Mr Optimistic
2nd Sep 2014, 21:27
Hmm, as you say lots of stuff on google about reboot cycles. Wonder if it is the rtc giving the precise 30 min shutdown? Did the BIOS reported time and date show OK? Only constructive suggestions are either to move off the ley line or give Asus motherboards a try next time!

boguing
2nd Sep 2014, 22:14
I don't know whether it's just me or not, but so much tech stuff seems to be of lower and lower quality. Ten years ago the kids and I knew that anything 'own brand' from Maplin had a 50/50 chance of not working. In the last couple of years I've had five WD hard drives fail, three Asus motherboards dead on arrival, and two more that died within warranty.

Those are just the more expensive bits, at least that many other tech toys eaten their last milliamp here.

It's been so bad that I've actually had the electricity bods out to test my mains supply, and absolutely everything is plugged in through surge protectors. And still it goes on.

Mr Optimistic
2nd Sep 2014, 22:27
Well I have had maybe 5 PC's and 4 laptops. Had one HDD fail and the video inverter in an lp. Never a problem with Asus but last bought a few years ago. Lead free solder?

boguing
2nd Sep 2014, 22:40
I hadn't thought much about the 'why', but that and possibly the ever-increasing density of components might explain it.

BOAC
3rd Sep 2014, 10:13
Will have a look at lad's BIOS settings when we do the flash. No chance of seeing anything in BIOS on my machine!!

Mr Optimistic
3rd Sep 2014, 14:57
Tried pulling the power cord mid-cycle a couple of times. Will show it who's boss and you never know....

BOAC
4th Sep 2014, 07:23
Mobo is boxed and ready for pick up for RMA so we will see.

BOAC
4th Sep 2014, 15:48
Flashed lad's new BIOS and NIC and VGA output returned. Machine has gone 20 minutes past the 30 minute point, so good news, and I assume something knackered the original BIOS.

All the inputs etc much appreciated.

Just my mobo to sort now.....................

Saab Dastard
4th Sep 2014, 17:13
Flashed lad's new BIOS and NIC and VGA output returned. Machine has gone 20 minutes past the 30 minute point

Have you read the list of bugs fixed between your original BIOS version and the version you just applied? Anything that suggests a known issue?

SD

BOAC
4th Sep 2014, 18:32
No - will do, but since the original BIOS was working before I suspect somehow it got 'SNAFU'd'.

EDIT: SD - cannot find any revision data for the BIOS versions