PDA

View Full Version : Florence-bound Vueling fire

drag king
13th Aug 2014, 14:20
From the LOCAL PRESS (http://firenze.repubblica.it/cronaca/2014/08/13/news/firenze_aereo_in_fiamme_all_aeroporto_vespucci-93688384/?ref=HRESS-1)

If the journo report is correct, the CC ordered "EVACUADO, EVACUADO" to a load of French, Italian and Asian SLFs...the article also says that pax have been instructed (not clear by who) NOT to leave their details nor to speak to anyone about what happened.

Good that nobody is hurt, though.

mixture
13th Aug 2014, 15:00
NOT to leave their details nor to speak to anyone about what happened.

Hmm.... 10 seconds on Twitter and..... :ugh:

flydive1
13th Aug 2014, 15:01
Strange, the correct order in Spanish I believe is "evacuar"

Almost the same as "evacuare"(Italian) and "évacuer"(French)
Probably more easily understood than the English word.

DaveReidUK
13th Aug 2014, 16:00
In-flight fire ?

Hardly. By all accounts, it was a brake fire after landing.

justanotherstat
13th Aug 2014, 18:21
Parked next door, it pulled onto stand with hot brakes which started smoking. Florence airport fire service in situ very quickly. Evac seemed to go well.

kildress
13th Aug 2014, 19:13
Just to be pedantic, the infinitive is evacuar but the imperative (2nd pers. pl.) is evacuad. Whether any/either is the correct phrase is beyond me.

Piltdown Man
14th Aug 2014, 06:14
Justanotherstat: Can you remember how many and slides/doors were used? The reason I ask is that I only saw two slides, one front left and one back right. I understand that the problem was one of the brakes in the right main gear.

PM

justanotherstat
14th Aug 2014, 10:25
Front left and rear right is correct, I don't know why this was the case.
The fire service had all but completed damping down the right side brakes by the time the evac got going so maybe there wasn't total panic in the cabin.

I'm wouldn't criticise without the knowing the full facts.

Twottermann
17th Aug 2014, 22:38
This crew landed in Florence with a 23 knot tailwind, pulled full reverse and used heavy braking.... Hydraulic fluid dripping down onto the brakes began to smoke and caught fire and an evacuation was ordered.... I was a passenger on the jumpseat in a flight that landed after him.... We were in a turboprop (Q400) that has a 20knot tailwind allowance and at the time of our approach we had exactly 19 knots on the arse.... Full reverse, brakes and the end of the runway was pretty near before we backtracked!! I can only surmise that whoever elected to land beyond the limits of the aircraft will be up ****creek without a paddle!!!
Florence as I understand it is a category C airport, and tailwind restrictions on an already short runway should be taken seriously! Poor fellows!! Ramp agent provided adequate first hand account to us.... Was the pressure to land so high because of cost factors or was it something else... A diversion to Bologna is not such a big deal if you can't make it into Florence!!
Saludos Amigos!