PDA

View Full Version : IPad, Cookies and PPrune

oncemorealoft
12th Aug 2014, 17:59
Just today I've started having to sign in every time I've visited PPrune. Despite the fact I'm clicking 'remember me' and that I've not knowingly changed any privacy settings.

Any ideas what's going on please?

mixture
12th Aug 2014, 18:03
Doesn't PPRuNe have a mobile app ? Or is that what you are using ?

Have you changed anything recently on your iPhone/iPad (e.g. software update etc.) ? If not, its probably PPRuNE side.

IBMJunkman
12th Aug 2014, 18:20
I use Safari on iPad and have no problem. Best to go to the list of auto-logons and delete pprune so the next time it will ask if you want to save the logon.

oncemorealoft
12th Aug 2014, 18:24
Thanks for the replies.

I'm using Safari and have the 'save passwords' option. So at least I don't have to put the whole dam lot in each time but yesterday I didn't have to do anything!

Ancient Observer
13th Aug 2014, 10:10
Given the crap that assembles itself on my and SWMBO's ipads after a short usage, I have developed the habit of deleting/clearing the cookies and stuff via Settings each time I put down the ipad. However, it still remembers the password via the passwords gadget. It just auto-fills the login panels.

ExSp33db1rd
14th Aug 2014, 03:29
Sorry if I'm teaching egg sucking, but being new to the iPad, I regard every new trick with awe.

My latest discovery is to occasionally hold the main on/off switch. i.e. the one on the edge of one corner, and the 'home' switch on the face, down for 3 or 4 secs simultaneously until the gadget shuts down and has to be re-started. This apparently "re-sets" the iPad far more comprehensible than just 'swipe to power off' and gets rid of a lot of crap.

mixture
14th Aug 2014, 08:18
the one on the edge of one corner, and the 'home' switch on the face, down for 3 or 4 secs simultaneously until the gadget shuts down and has to be re-started.

Indeed worth knowing, but your description of "has to be restarted" is incorrect. The action you describe is a hard restart. You will find that if you hold the buttons down, the Apple logo will re-appear and the device will boot as normal.

You can't mimic it on Windows, but on Linux or Mac, its the same as doing a forced reboot, i.e it immediately reboots the platform without invoking shutdown scripts first.

This apparently "re-sets" the iPad far more comprehensible than just 'swipe to power off' and gets rid of a lot of crap.

Not really. In the majority of circumstances, its just faster than a normal power-off because its a hard-restart rather than a clean shutdown.

Booglebox
14th Aug 2014, 08:46
You can't mimic it on Windows

shutdown -f

mixture
14th Aug 2014, 10:31
Booglebox,

Well you can't mimick it from the built-in GUI is what I evidently should have spelt out..... :E

ExSp33db1rd
15th Aug 2014, 02:54
Thanks, I was quoting what I had been told by the Apple Techie. who helped set up my iPad when I bought it, he reckoned that the "hard restart" might solve "slowing down" issues, similar to de-fragging ? Dunno ?

innuendo
15th Aug 2014, 04:37
I think what the Apple Tech is describing is what Apple call a "Hard Reset", not a restart, they are different things.
Turn your iOS device off and on (restart) and reset (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1430)

Try a search on Hard reset and have a read at what comes up.