PDA

View Full Version : Another Question About Eyes and Airline Medicals

sydneyc
26th May 2002, 22:04
I have my Class 1 but was put through the mill slightly for colour blindness. Having stumbled on the colour plates, I sat the lantern test and passed.

My question is this - if I find myself going for an airline interview, are their medicals tougher on the eyes? Or will be colour vision situation mean they would knock me back at the outset? I must stress, I have a full Class 1.

Any information would be very helpful at this stage.

Thanks

sydneyc

Pitts S2B
27th May 2002, 02:27
In the US the airlines have to have a really good reason to stop you on medical grounds, issues like strong prescriptions and color vision are usually static and therefore if you have satisfied the FAA that you are safe then according to the Americans with Disabilities act who are an Airline to say different.

The only exception is where you hold a current first class medical but the condition is progressive, such as HIV, motor neuron disease, multiple sclerosis, and cancer that is not in remission etc. then the airlines are able to stop you on the grounds that they are going to invest a large sum of money in training you and they will be unable to recoup their investment before you lose your medical.

As for Europe, It is quite likely that a case like yours would stand a very good chance of success in an employment tribunal so it is unlikley that any airline could refuse you with a valid Class 1

sydneyc
27th May 2002, 19:05
Thanks Pitts - grateful for you taking the time to give me the info.

All the best,

Sydneyc