PDA

View Full Version : JQ Pilots on LWOP returning to Qantas

Wedcue
12th Aug 2014, 08:25
Hello all relevant persons,

Which way did you swing, and what was your decision based on?

All haters, respect the "professional" in "pprune" and please refrain from having this thread, which is relevant for many, locked.

Regards

Kubin rock climber
12th Aug 2014, 09:02
Hello Wedcue

Looks like most of the MOU pilots are swinging back to QF or swinging back then immediately taking more LWOP for adventures further afield. From what I hear, some have resigned and stayed, couple of Bris and OOL based guys. Some of the ex AN pilots towards the end of their career (no disrespect). It appears the stayers are in the minority.

Those MOU pilots going back will largely slot back in where they came from rank and type wise. The ex 76 pilots are caught up with RIN and may end up reduced in rank.

I forgot to mention the current JQ FO's on LWOP. Sounds like some are getting towards the end of their LWOP period and returning to QF as SO's, others extending. Not to sure about this one. (These guys are employed on LWOP but outside the MOU)

*Lancer*
13th Aug 2014, 01:58
Several are taking (or are about the take) the QF S/O - JQ F/O - EK F/O path.

Iron Bar
27th Aug 2014, 10:23
Latest seniority list shows 3 recent resignations and another 15 Q pilots joining in Adelaide and Sydney.

What's the next clever JPC strategy?

ballsdeep
27th Aug 2014, 22:26
Why is it that QF pilots loath Jetstar, but still accept MOU positions?

Keg
27th Aug 2014, 22:36
We don't loathe Jetstar. We just don't understand why many of their pilots are reluctant to make eye contact or return a greeting. More likely to have a chin wag with VOZ pilots these days. :ok:

The real answer to your question is probably the same as to why are some Jetstar pilots so pathologically excited over the potential demise of Qantas mainline pilots and their terms and conditions. Answer: because their are idiots in all walks of life.

Des Dimona
27th Aug 2014, 22:50
..... because there are idiots in all airlines

Blueskymine
27th Aug 2014, 23:17
I find quite the opposite keg. I find it's jq who get snubbed, particularly by your more junior guys.

Australopithecus
27th Aug 2014, 23:36
My experience is that every time I meet and exchange pleasantries with a JQ pilot they react with palpable confusion at not being snubbed. I reckon that the JQ pilots are akin to red-headed step children: they expect a beating and are left nonplussed when afforded civility.

Keg
28th Aug 2014, 00:02
Maybe ozsync walks in different circles to me but I've not seen that sort of attitude in 'the majority'. A very small minority at best- probably the same sort of minority of Jetstar crew who detest QF crew as sky gods.

Of the F/Os I've flown with over the last 6 years, I've only ever seen one of them 'snub' a Jetstar pilot. Out of a pool of more than 140 crew at the time that's not bad.

Anyway, what was the original topic? :ok::}

Australopithecus
28th Aug 2014, 00:39
OzSync...yeah, maybe. Civility is a funny thing, ain't it? Just when you go to offer some your hand gets bitten. Maybe I should consider bringing my chainsaw to wotk instead. Would that more closely align with your expectations?

AviatoR21
28th Aug 2014, 01:07
Well the snubbing has even ventured into the Watermark cafes! QF's second crew room only apparently.

Australopithecus
28th Aug 2014, 02:03
Was that you that I overheard asking for a copy of "Europe on $5 a Day"? :p *

* which, I will point out in a depressing sidebar, was an actual book that I owned in high school. By the time I got there it was $12.00/day at least. Rip-off.

Keg
28th Aug 2014, 05:24
Well the snubbing has even ventured into the Watermark cafes! QF's second crew room only apparently.

Agreed. I've been ignored there by JQ crew too. Oh wait, do you mean that JQ crew are snubbed there by QF crew? :confused::eek:

Anyway, so how many are returning to QF?

Sue Ridgepipe
28th Aug 2014, 05:49
Are you guys for real? You sound like a bunch of school kids.

Tidbinbilla
28th Aug 2014, 05:51
Are you guys for real? You sound like a bunch of school kids.

Indeed. Let's get back on topic, thanks.

Iron Bar
28th Aug 2014, 06:02
Looks like the majority are not resigning from QF. Many will continue leave and fly elsewhere (China Southern, JQ Vietnam, Japan, Middle East and so on). I don't think the results today are bad enough to scare anyone into clutching to Jetstar for salvation. The prospect of a financial clearing of the decks at Qantas is actually reassuring to a degree.

The flip side of that is 10 years plus of redundancy provisions in Qantas far outweighs a few in Jetstar and if it gets that bad we are all screwed.

mppgf
29th Aug 2014, 04:20
Unbeleivable !

All this snubbing and I have missed it all. Not once have I seen or experienced the dreaded side-eye from any Qantas crew. If you care to ask the MOU guys at JQ how they have been received I'm sure they will dispel any of the rubbish scribbled on here by a very few who seem to spend half their life on PPRUNE.
Heres a suggestion, Get A Life and stop misrepresenting the other Two thousand pilots from QF and the 800 pilots from JQ.

Thank you, Have a nice day and yes you are welcome to the jump seat. :)

bdcer
29th Aug 2014, 04:59
Thanks mppgf, good darts!

maggot
2nd Sep 2014, 05:38
recent bad news at "qantas"

good grief, you know who you actually work for right...

Blueskymine
2nd Sep 2014, 05:52
You can't have your cake and eat it too.

What about the guys below your seniority number at Qantas that want some stability?

If you tried to extend your MOU LWOP I'd expect all the JQ numbers to lodge a grievance and all the QF numbers junior to you also.

Iron Bar
2nd Sep 2014, 07:22
JPC have no say in it. They were put back in their box by management a month ago. Lucky the Darwin base closed when it did or they were in trouble.

While an extension for mou captains would make a lot of sense financially (and it could be easily done with a simple contract). Industrially and politically it would be too difficult.

bdcer
2nd Sep 2014, 10:03
Hey Iron Bar, what did Darwin have to do with it? I'm obviously missing some part of the puzzle??

Iron Bar
2nd Sep 2014, 11:48
With Q pilots returning from Jetstar, nothing. Different issue, I digress slightly.

Point being, the JPC would have nothing to do with the hypothetical retention of Q pilots (that won't happen anyway) outside the mou. There is no provision for extending it.

flyingcircus
17th Sep 2014, 23:57
And as management continues to divide and conquer, pilots on both sides continue to fight and further management's cause.

Without unity we are dead in the water.

hotnhigh
18th Sep 2014, 00:04
It's ok circus, rumour is a new jetstar chief pilot mightn't be too far off. Seems the concept of seniority doesn't fit in with these types, so if you can't get a 400 command you might as well take something orange instead.

Australopithecus
18th Sep 2014, 00:25
Hotnhigh...Can you elaborate on your post, please?

What does the new chief pilot have to do with anything, and of which seniority are we speaking? Group seniority?

hotnhigh
18th Sep 2014, 00:40
Lets see where all current 767 drivers end up.:hmm:

Iron Bar
18th Sep 2014, 02:41
Perhaps right where the RIN has them slotted?? Not a very good stir, you need at least SOME basis for a crazy wind up.

Keg
18th Sep 2014, 05:21
Hotnhigh is making an obtuse reference to a particular QF 767 Captain who is rumoured to have interviewed for the JQ CP gig. I don't think they're referring to anything beyond that.

C441
18th Sep 2014, 06:39
Lets see where all current 767 drivers end up.

At least 2 that I know of will be very happily retired.:cool:

Mstr Caution
18th Sep 2014, 08:00
HotnHigh

The circus you refer to is the result of a paradox of (very poor) decisions.

Take on Organisations desire to promote a business unit or individual(s) to serve the Organisations interests.

Take a business units or Individual(s) desire to be promoted to a elevated position to serve their own self Interest.

The self interest of two different parties, in the pursuit of their own agenda.

Results in an outcome worse for the organisation, than if the two parties choose not to pursue their own self interest concurrently.

There are examples of this paradox littered in the corridors of many organisations.

MC

Iron Bar
18th Sep 2014, 09:58
Ahhhh gotcha. That will (possibly) be interesting then.

Lookleft
19th Sep 2014, 22:14
I would love to be a fly on the wall on day 1 when inquiries are made as to the location of the Chief Pilot's office. No Mahogany Row at Victoria Parade!

bdcer
19th Sep 2014, 23:49
So can anyone elaborate on who the candidate is?

Des Dimona
20th Sep 2014, 00:42
If you work in QF, then you probably have a fair idea of who she is.

Mstr Caution
20th Sep 2014, 02:24
Bdcer

'Aspirant' or candidate?

kellykelpie
20th Sep 2014, 12:23
" I would love to be a fly on the wall on day 1 when inquiries are made as to the location of the Chief Pilot's office. No Mahogany Row at Victoria Parade!"

Boy - you guys are really out of touch with QF these days. No one in Flight Ops has an office any more. We're trying to be more like you - we even have old aeroplanes (not so much like you :O)

Lookleft
20th Sep 2014, 12:36
Admittedly the last time I saw the Qantas CP's office was in 2004, but from my recollection he still had an office with a personal assistant. The Jetstar CP gets none of those. I guarantee if the rumours become fact there will be a big culture shock. :ok:

itsnotthatbloodyhard
20th Sep 2014, 23:10
Don't worry, Mahogany Row has become Meerkat Alley.

CaptCloudbuster
21st Sep 2014, 00:35
From what I know of the alleged candidate Jetstar would be lucky to have an Aviator of her calibre at the controls.

She doesn't suffer fools that's for sure......

Lookleft
21st Sep 2014, 03:37
A bit of a slap in the face for the 100 or so QF pilots that are with JQ at the moment! From my experience and from the tom toms, those who don't suffer fools gladly are usually arrogant, self-opinionated and only ever think they are correct. From what I have heard the fools they apparently don't suffer are also high caliber QF aviators.

CaptCloudbuster
21st Sep 2014, 05:19
From what I have heard the fools they apparently don't suffer are also high caliber QF aviators.

As someone who has actually had the pleasure of operating and learning from her I suggest you send some smoke signals to your high caliber friends LL to check their egos at the door....

Iron Bar
21st Sep 2014, 05:41
Bit of a slap in the face? None of that made sense?

Lookleft
21st Sep 2014, 06:57
Well CC time will tell I guess. I have had the dubious pleasure of working in an airline that also imported an ex-walloper QF Management pilot who's idea of not suffering fools gladly was to yell at them and throw furniture. It doesn't help when the fool was part of an organisation who also happened to have the power to ground the airline!

All this discussion may be for nothing if the person in question doesn't get the job but if they do then I don't think it will be my alleged high caliber friends that will need to check their egos at the door.

IB the assertion was made: Jetstar would be lucky to have an Aviator of her calibre at the controls. suggesting that we don't already have high calibre people at the controls. A large proportion of Jetstar pilots are still QF pilots. They were the pilots I was referring to. Then again I didn't realise that Aviator was a higher level of pilot.

C441
21st Sep 2014, 11:24
In the year or two that I've been involved in this business I've seen some very ordinary managers in training and operations fields come and go.
She's not one of them.
Personally, if any airline needs a new Chief Pilot, they could do a lot worse, and rarely better, than choosing her.

Keg
21st Sep 2014, 13:50
Like most big organisations there will be workers who think a particular manager is the bees knees and there will be others who have cause or experience to have a very different opinion. I'd suggest that like any boss, you take them at face value until they've had the chance to get their feet under the table. Once settled, see how how they treat their subordinates. That will go to their character and that will tell you all you need to know.

The other alternative is to see how much Kool-Aid they encourage you to drink and how quickly! :suspect: :ok: :E

Keg
28th Oct 2014, 10:22
Any one with confirmed news on this yet?

Iron Bar
28th Oct 2014, 23:21
No word yet. Apparently the short list is made up of 5.

- 2 current QF fleet management pilots.

- 2 internal JQ candidates (both with QF and/or CASA connections).

- 1 external candidate from OS, not John C'.