PDA

View Full Version : Nairobi oH....and Victoria Falls

FerrypilotDK
12th Aug 2014, 02:39
So.....dropping the rich and famous at HKJK on the 17th to the 23rd and thinking that it would be great to get out and see bush, migration, etc myself, but not having their pocketbook, wondering if there is a way to do some of this on the cheap, like.

Smaller camp, less luxury etc, but secure enough to not end up in Somalia!

Any ideas? Could just hole up at the Aero Club, see a few things in Nairobi, but seems a shame really......

YIKES........no room at Victoria Falls hotels it seems for night of the 16th. Anyone have an idea there too?

dera
12th Aug 2014, 04:16
For Vic Falls, try Shoestrings Backpackers.

Foxcotte
13th Aug 2014, 21:50
There are lots of deals going locally as the camps aren't that busy this season. Any of the big chains are offering deals and so are the smaller camps. Worth doing some internet trawling to see what's around. Richards camp in the Mara or Phoenix safaris for their Mara Syria camp etc etc

And other parks not on the main trail also have deals going... Like Meru, Samburu etc. Nice places available at Naivasha too....

What's your preference ... Game or beach, tent or lodge? Narrow it down a bit more and maybe I can think of some others..

Metro man
14th Aug 2014, 01:31
Try the Zambian side of the Falls at Livingstone, make sure you have multi entry visas to cross over and back.

FerrypilotDK
14th Aug 2014, 10:37
Thanks guys! I will talk to my co-pilot and see what his interests are and see what we can compromise on.

Falls from Zambian side.......right!

Thanks

FerrypilotDK
14th Aug 2014, 22:28
Just wrote to Richards......we-ll see what they reply!
Thanks

rodmur
20th Aug 2014, 13:59
the zim side is much more user friendly. you can walk any where.
you do not need a yellow fever to go home.
lots of good backpacker lodges. more activities.
pm me if you need airport transfers

Journey Man
25th Aug 2014, 22:33
What? Jolly Boys is an institution!

Ad C
26th Aug 2014, 18:29
About 18 months ago there was a US$50 visa fee, payable at the Zim boarder for UK passports. I assume it's similar for other passports.

Klimax
27th Aug 2014, 14:36
FPDK,

Whatever you do, while in Nairobbery, do NOT miss out on restaurant Carnivore ( https://www.tamarind.co.ke/carnivore/ ) . When I started out my flying "career" down in the dark continent, Wednesdays nights used to be referred to as "white trash nights".. The food is awesome, and if the ever smiling "medicine man" is still around, you'd be foolish not to try the drink he serves.... There a worthy alternatives to the Masai Mara, look into Tsavo East.. If everything else fails, there is always Nairobi national park.. Also you could consider a 2 nights in Mombassa at White Sands ( if still around ).. One last word of advice - whatever you do in Nairobi, be very, very careful, as in watch your back, though most people are friendly, it's a hostile place.

Karibu sana Kenya