PDA

View Full Version : AAIB Tour

DTVAirport
11th Aug 2014, 20:40
Evening all,

Back in May 2011, I e-mailed the Air Accidents Investigation Branch to try and arrange a tour of their Farnborough facilities after discovering that such tours seemed to exist, but the response I received was along the lines of "due to limited resources, we can only accommodate tours from organisations with direct links to our accident investigation operations".

In June 2012, I tried my luck again but got the same response.

A quick Google search shows that tours are still being held and the people organising them do not appear to have a professional connection with the AAIB per se.

Has anyone recently done one of their tours and if so how did you arrange it, I think it would be beyond fascinating, if somewhat poignant.

kcockayne
11th Aug 2014, 21:38
I visited AAIB some years ago. However, this was organised by our SATCO at Jersey for ATC staff; we had recently had a fatal accident at the airport.
I've not heard of any non professional groups being admitted.
You're correct. It is a fascinating experience !

ilesmark
12th Aug 2014, 10:39
A quick Google search shows that tours are still being held and the people organising them do not appear to have a professional connection with the AAIB per se

Presumably you've made contact with these organisers? What was the response - please advise, as I'd be interested to see this too!

DTVAirport
12th Aug 2014, 22:03
Actually no I haven't, that would be the obvious thing to do wouldn't it, I'll make a point of doing that.

Failing that, I think I'll give them a ring instead of e-mailing.

ilesmark
14th Aug 2014, 10:20
Noted. Please let me/us know the result.

Thanks, Mark