PDA

View Full Version : Bose QC20 IN-EAR headset, and airplane headset output levels?

cosmo kramer
8th Aug 2014, 14:06
First, this thread is supposed to be about the Bose Quiet Comfort 20 IN-EAR headset - not to be confused with the QC15 around-ear headset. (I'll provide a picture below, to avoid confusion).

The QC20 are in-ear noise canceling headphones. I imagine, if used with custom molds, that this must be the absolute most awesome combo, both in terms of comfort, noise reduction and hearing protection.

So the question:
Will they work in e.g. a Boeing 737, if used with a 3.5mm to 1/4 inch (PJ-055) converter?

I am no expert in audio, but is output level of the aircraft compatible with such standard HiFi headphones?

According to this site (http://stereos.about.com/od/StereoHeadphoneReviews/ss/Bose-Qc-20-Measurements.htm):
Sensitivity of the QC-20, measured with a 1 mW signal at 32 ohms (my standard impedance calculation for internally amplified headphones like the QC-20) is 104.8 dB, high enough to get loud levels from probably any source device.
I can't interpret that, but maybe someone more knowledgeable can give me a clue?

If they indeed would work, I would use them together with the mike of a Telex 5x5 headset, perhaps with custom molds.

(No my airline doesn't require TSO approved headsets, and neither is it a requirement of my authorities before anyone going down that line).

http://www.bose.com/assets/images/shop_online/qc20/qc20i_in_the_box.jpg

bucks_raj
8th Aug 2014, 16:48
Not mistaking the 2.....

I have the QC 15 with the ufm for an xlr5 for use in a TProp.The engine sound is cancelled pretty well how ever over a period of time i realized the Low Freq prop/wind is not.

The Vibrations and the Low freq sound still traveled through the Cushions /bones and causes throbing like sounds .

QC 20 + 737/320

You will need a >>MONO<< 3.5mm adapter for it ( stereo gives sound to only Left year )

The battery lasts about 10-15 hours.It is in ear fit so get used to it and the mic need to be thaought of about .The QC 20 mic mics up too much ambient noise to be used in the FliteDeck.

How good is the noise cancellation. The best that I ve ever had

The volume controls are kept at minimum setting humanly possible.Any lesser it shuts off audio.
How ever remember the RA call outs are not volume limited and are at a prefixed levl.The silce is so damn amazing that the RA call outs are So damn loud and distracting.

I have used the q15+ ufm and qc20 on both Tprops and jets.

It is qc20 any day how ever keep in mind the mic isnt going to work.I use a over ear mic and the qc20 together

NOTE- I use qc20 not qc20i :D:D:D

Also I got custom ear mold made and used them with qc20.The result was not as expected the Low freq sounds made it to the to the head via the increased surface contact between the mold and the ear. I got back to the qc 20 stock silicone and realized the point of contact is merely the frustum shape silicone re is all only holding the unit in place. So i use the stock ear mold now

cosmo kramer
8th Aug 2014, 17:13
Thanks for the feedback...

So, just to make sure. With a 3.5mm mono adapter, they will work straight away (impedance etc. not a problem)?

I did consider the GPWS as well, and thought of looking for an inline volume control to connect between the headphones and the aircraft. That way turning down the general volume and then turning up the individual needed channels on the ACP (VHF, intercom etc.).

I was considering to have an earpiece made that would facilitate both the QC20 and a bar to mount the Telex microphone. But if you say that is a bad idea, I would be interested in knowing what over the ear mike are you using?

As for QC20 vs QC20i, only difference is that the 20i denotes that the remote is made specifically for iPhone.

Foniac
8th Aug 2014, 17:16
Maybe have a look in to the Phonak freecom 7000/7100 or NanoComm GA 2 headset. The latter which I use and would highly recommend.

cosmo kramer
8th Aug 2014, 18:13
The Bose QC20(i) caught my attention because it looks like a great option for those of us who prefer in-ear headset and are looking for an active noise reduction option too. Otherwise I am already well supplied with in-ear headsets, but thanks anyway.

What I am really interested to hear is, if it technically would work, as it seems to do for buck_raj. Also if others have experiences and setups (suitable microphones etc.) with the QC20 they would like to share.

bucks_raj
11th Aug 2014, 10:31
Hers what I use
https://flic.kr/p/ooQNSd
https://flic.kr/p/ooRaZG

Use the link for the img

https://flic.kr/p/ooQNSd

The microphones are off the shelf Ebay/Amazon products

Note- Airbus and ATR I have been able to use the stereo adaptor how ever Boeing I had to use the Mono

cosmo kramer
11th Aug 2014, 15:50
Those mics work?? :} Are you using them as hot mike?

Also, I googled for a 3.5mm to .206" (PJ-068 mike plug) adapter without much success. Any hits where you got yours?

Denti
11th Aug 2014, 17:04
Bought the QC20 (i have the QC15 with uflymike) for my many deadhead flights. In my opinion it could be better than the QC15 if using a handmike is approved in your operation. Main thing for that is the even better noise cancelling and the fact that you still get usual audio even if the battery is dead. And of course the fact that it can be charged from a normal USB port which means i can charge it from our EFBs.

cosmo kramer
11th Aug 2014, 17:12
Does the noise reduction work while charging?

Denti, apparently bucks_raj has got some computer over-the-ear mikes to work in the 737. Perfect combo?

bucks_raj
11th Aug 2014, 17:29
Amazon.com: 3.5 mm to 4.5

B777tre
8th Apr 2016, 14:26
which type of mic you are using ( i ve tried 2 different amazon over ear mics , didn't work )