View Full Version : Why only Barbados residents??

splonguk
6th Jun 2001, 00:35
OK, having just checked out BA's employment website for any new relevant info, I came across the info for the Professional Engineer's Scheme.

I knew BA ran this scheme where they pay for your engineers training and give you hands on experience and a job at the end, but the latest one is only for people with the permanent right to live and work in Barbados?????

Can I ask why? Do BA have a big engineering outfit down there that I don't know about? Seems a little strange to me!

Speedbird 2946
6th Jun 2001, 01:42
Ah dear Barbados, so close to my heart, surely the most beautiful place on earth... ahem, sorry...

Well with a BA 777 coming into (and out of) Bridgetown every day they need maintenance guys and ground staff there to permanently (or at least for some length of time) to settle in and run the show.

I don't exactly know what exact presence of BA staff there is there, but BGI is a busy place, with daily 747, 777, 767, L1011 and other a/c dropping in! Maybe they do work for the other carriers.. maybe not though, Virgin Atlantic and BWIA West Indies Airways are the competitors on the London route..

But hey, you could do worse than getting stationed in Barbados!!

Regards,

SB :)

herniair
6th Jun 2001, 03:13
If you are not just scum on this site, in which case you won't be interested in any answers, the reason seems to be that you can't be employed, lawfully, in said country unless you have the right to etc. The requirements are unknown to me but, because it's an island, it would rather difficult to do the job without living there.