PDA

View Full Version : Blackpool Airshow

L4key
6th Aug 2014, 19:35
Dear all

I'm heading with the family to Blackpool this Sunday for the Airshow.

Just wondered if anybody had any tips on best vantage points and simple things like where to park, nice places for lunch (pref outside - weather dependant) etc...

Thanks in advance.

simon_b2004
6th Aug 2014, 19:42
AFAIK, the centre of the display line is in front of the tower. This is where the commentry is based as well. If you get there early, you can park on the promenade.

G-ARZG
7th Aug 2014, 17:56
'Blackpool Seafront' and 'nice places for lunch' are rarely seen in the same sentence!

L4key
7th Aug 2014, 18:16
Ha - thought so...

Promenade parking would be ideal, but doubt I'll be there early enough. Thanks for the responses.

JonF
8th Aug 2014, 11:33
Promenade parking is non existent near the tower. There is the Hounds Hill car park above the shopping centre or the big open air central car park, both are sign-posted.

I drive up and down Blackpool prom everyday to and from work. It is hell on earth at the moment with all the holiday makers. I would park down at south shore near the new tram depot and get a tram or no. 1 bus up to the promenade where the airshow is based.

I agree with post above, you will be lucky to find anywhere 'nice' to eat on the prom.

There are places in and around the shopping centre which aren't too bad. Depends what you're after.

enjoy and good luck ;-)

exmanman
8th Aug 2014, 22:07
I don't know how far you have to come, but don't underestimate the potential traffic queues. Whilst at Warton this week I was chatting to a local who said it can take a long time to get in and out again. When we visit Blackpool throughout the year we tend to head to North Shore to park in a pay and display as it seems a bit easier there. Like most councils Blackpool has double yellow-lined anything that doesn't move so on-street parking is virtually impossible. So the earlier the better and least stressful, or maybe consider the train if practical. Having said all that I hope you breeze in with no problems and have a lovely day.

Food...hmmm. I think you know what you will end up eating! There are nice places in Wrea Green next to Warton and no doubt up and down the coast, which I appreciate isn't much use to you given the timings.

Vantage point wise, I suppose Central Pier will be closed! Anywhere near the tower would be good as Blackpool's fantastic new promenade has lots of space. Last time we went we sat on the dunes at the end of Runway 28 which was great for watching the aircraft based there for the show, especially the Tornado which cleared us by about 40ft :eek:

Whatever, have a great day :)