PDA

View Full Version : Australia to use biometrics for arriving and departing passengers?

mickjoebill
5th Aug 2014, 20:26
Finger printing on the way according to this report.
http://m.theage.com.au/victoria/melbourne-express-august-6-2014-20140806-3d6pp.html

Security screening at Australian airports is set to be beefed up as part of new anti-terror measures, 3AW reports. All passengers arriving in or departing Australia will be subject to finger printing and biometric testing. Eighty national security officers will be deployed to major airports while airlines will be asked to provide passenger details to authorities well in advance.

And $630M announced for counter terrorism, to be spent over 4 years.

Mickjoebill

KittyKatKaper
5th Aug 2014, 23:02
Great...
Howard gave us the pointless and useless ASICs for GA and now Abbot wants to make us prove our innocence if we dare to travel abroad or use the internet.

It won't take long for feature creep to occur and the fingerprinting will be required for domestic air-travel and then the various police agencies will also access that data. (for our protection of course).

Funny., there is always money to be found to scaremonger and keep the subjects frightened (for their protection of course), but there isn't any money for more productive things like preventive-health or long-term infrastructure projects.

The Banjo
5th Aug 2014, 23:39
These procedures are routinely used in Japan, USA and many others.

What is of concern is how much money will be wasted on consultants etc in implementing technology that is readily available, tried, tested and operational in other jurisdictions.:ugh:

XPT
6th Aug 2014, 00:12
slightly off topic, but all this so called security rubbish does nothing. In light of MH17, security should be scaled back.

Makes you think that airports like Bankstown, Essendon, Archerfield should capitalise on this.

Currently no car parking fees whatsoever at any of these airports.

20 tonne MTOW covers quite a few aircraft + heard that some operators using bigger aircraft, now use their own security (presume hand wands) & so don't have to use main airports or main terminals at main airports.

Think weight limit at MEB is 45 tonne, which covers lots of aircraft including quite a few jets.

There were 3 ERJ135's of Jetgo at MEB recently.

Strangely, Jetgo aircraft MTOW start at exactly 20 tonne, whereas they need to be recertified to under 20 tonne to avoid security.

thorn bird
6th Aug 2014, 07:54
"And $630M announced for counter terrorism, to be spent over 4 years."

Shame really, wonder how much "Aviation" infrastructure that would buy?

CAT 111 at all the majors.......45 meter runways so country towns retain their air services.....Wow imagine what another $630 mil could do for regulatory reform??...
Australia could hold the world record for the sheer number of regulations and the quickest collapse of whole industry...WOW!

Well done the security industry, stole the march on McBank, masters of bleeding the industry and the taxpayers dry, Bravo.:D.well lobbied..
Bugger!!! knew I should have bought shares, bet the pollies did, then again its interesting in tonight's news about brown paper bags floating about the place?? Why am I surprised!! NOT

Captain Sand Dune
6th Aug 2014, 08:00
Yep, just call a spade a spade and introduce racial profiling. Cost a lot less and would probably be a lot more effective. Ah, but the howls of protest from the professionally outraged!

ratpoison
6th Aug 2014, 08:10
Kitty,

Now that was bloody well said....:D

Alloyboobtube
6th Aug 2014, 08:14
It's not about terrorism it's about collecting as many fingerprints as possible for unsolved crimes etc... Next step will be compulsory DNA database to help eliminate crime.:ok:

tail wheel
6th Aug 2014, 23:07
These procedures are routinely used in Japan, USA and many others.

I think you may find the reason for implementing biometric screening in Australia for arriving and departing international passengers, is relative to the terms and conditions of Australia's air service and security agreements with certain foreign countries.

Captain Dart
6th Aug 2014, 23:13
I operate into Japan regularly. The fingerprint and iris scan is quick and efficient. The Koreans do it as well.

bankrunner
6th Aug 2014, 23:32
While most of the aviation "security" measures introduced since 2001 have been absolute bull****, this is probably the first measure I've heard of that at face value looks sensible.

Looks like we're going a step further than the US though; they only do fingerprint scans on the way into the country, and even then certain classes of people are exempt (diplomatic visas etc.) You don't even see a customs officer on the way out of the USA.

Captain Dart
7th Aug 2014, 01:06
Neither did I in the UK last time I was there (some years ago now). Why do we waste scant taxpayers' resources and Customs manpower with ridiculous and time wasting outbound checks?

The case of two foreign passport holders murdering a student a few years ago in western Melbourne and skipping the country anyway begs one to ask what's the point?

neville_nobody
7th Aug 2014, 01:08
Funny., there is always money to be found to scaremonger and keep the subjects frightened (for their protection of course), but there isn't any money for more productive things like preventive-health or long-term infrastructure projects.

Yes goes to show what the agenda is regardless of who is in government.

Who has access to this data and what can they do with it will be the question I would want answered.

We are well on our way to totalitarian Police State governance.

neville_nobody
7th Aug 2014, 01:10
Why do we waste scant taxpayers' resources and Customs manpower with ridiculous and time wasting outbound checks?

I think part of the justification is some guy who left on his brother's passport to go and fight in the middle east and popped up on Twitter cutting up people's heads and threatening the Australia government.

Just leave him over there I say!

500N
7th Aug 2014, 01:11
Captain

And the one recently who left on his brothers passport.

A convicted terrorist no less, under 24 hour surveillance and on airline watch lists.

Surprised his surname didn't red flag when it hit the computer but that's probably
because the lefties say it's invasion of privacy !

The mind boggles.

Toruk Macto
7th Aug 2014, 01:23
Think cutting off heads is an invasion of privacy also. Think his rights to be treated fairly are over .

framer
7th Aug 2014, 01:55
It's the only security measure I can think of that might actually be effective. Great way of catching up with crooks who are walking free too. Bring it on I say.

Pinky the pilot
7th Aug 2014, 10:53
The fingerprint and iris scan is quick and efficient

Agreed. I have found it takes less time for me to get into Japan than it does for me to get back into my own Country!:hmm:

Yeah...well... the setup in Sydney may have something to do with it...:}

Though the new passport with the embedded chip does make things a helluve lot faster!:ok:

And the one recently who left on his brothers passport.

A convicted terrorist no less, under 24 hour surveillance and on airline watch lists.

That really is beyond description for incompetence, is it not, 500N?

500N
7th Aug 2014, 11:13
That really is beyond description for incompetence, is it not, 500N? mmmm, to think of the checks we go through to get on an aircraft
and from what I see on here, even pilots / crew yet a convicted
terrorist on a watch list just walks on to an aircraft ???

tail wheel
7th Aug 2014, 19:38
It may also have something to do with this (http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/illegal-immigrants-arrive-by-plane/story-e6frea6u-1226200568050?nk=943d74506ad6febf1b5e5af9d02f1fdd) and allegations of widespread Visa and Passport fraud?

Captain Dart
7th Aug 2014, 21:30
Again, why do we waste time with outbound checks? They don't seem to achieve much.

Corrupt immigration official fled Australia after police raid (http://www.9news.com.au/national/2014/08/08/04/30/corrupt-immigration-official-fled-australia-after-police-raid)