PDA

View Full Version : LCY to SYD or BNE

ttodd
5th Aug 2014, 18:45
Can't face the 2 hour drag to Heathrow or Gatwick when London City is 5 minutes away.
Any deals on business or first from LCY via European hubs?

TOWTEAMBASE
5th Aug 2014, 19:20
At least you will take your bags with you at LCY :)

Dash8driver1312
5th Aug 2014, 20:07
The deal is, you pays your money and takes your chances.

S.o.S.
5th Aug 2014, 22:31
ttodd, PPRuNe does not promote deals or tickets of any kind. Some of our advertisers might but not in discussion threads. The options from LCY to a suitable hub will be apparent in a few minutes viewing of the LCY website.

Dash8driver1312 hit the nail.

seafire6b
5th Aug 2014, 23:05
ttodd

In your situation, even if I was flush enough to afford the long taxi ride to LHR or LGW, I'd still definitely fly from LCY, instead of dragging myself and my baggage across London on hot and crowded trains. I've found that the DLR & Tube from LCY, even only to Bank, is a bad enough hassle, up and down steps and escalators, plus never-ending tube station walkways.

Direct from LCY, you'll start your air journey in a much more relaxed state of mind. Bon voyage!

mixture
6th Aug 2014, 08:58
Direct from LCY, you'll start your air journey in a much more relaxed state of mind. Bon voyage!

I'm not sure LCY is more relaxed... its a business airport for short-haul commuters, there's nothing relaxing about it and its low ceilings, dark lighting and lack of seating space. There isn't even a lounge, so its not a real airport anyway.... ;)

Basil
6th Aug 2014, 10:25
so its not a real airport anyway....
Ha! Port Ellen on Islay only had a wooden shack with tea and sticky buns when I were lad and Prince Charles ran his hairyplane off the runway. :)

seafire6b
6th Aug 2014, 13:31
I'm not sure LCY is more relaxed .... there's nothing relaxing about itIrrespective, I'd rather spend 45mins waiting at LCY before being airborne, as opposed to having to fight my way across London for over an hour+, only then to be at either of the LHR/LGW zoos. If you want to define that transit process as being in any way relaxing, that's your call.:)

Also, the OP is only FIVE MINUTES away from LCY. For myself, that would instantly be a case of "decision made". However, as a previous poster said, you pays yer money ... etc.

mixture
6th Aug 2014, 14:48
Irrespective, I'd rather spend 45mins waiting at LCY before being airborne, as opposed to having to fight my way across London for over an hour+, only then to be at either of the LHR/LGW zoos. If you want to define that transit process as being in any way relaxing, that's your call.

All depends if you are unfortunate enough to work in the Docklands (or even more unfortunate if you live there !) . Because quite frankly its just as easy to get to Paddington for LHR from anywhere else in Central London (including the Square Mile @ Moorgate tube). Gatwick isn't really "London", but Victoria isn't hard to get to ....

Certainly doesn't take 45 minutes. If you're off on business or a long weekend then you won't have a large suitcase anyway, and if you do have a large suitcases for a longer trip, chances are you'll probably opt for some form of vehicle with a driver in it rather than lugging it around tube stations ;)

Basically LCY is only useful if you live or work anywhere near it .... otherwise others could say exactly the same thing about you, i.e. to paraphrase you....

I'd rather spend 45mins waiting at LHR/LGW before being airborne, as opposed to having to fight my way across London for over an hour+

Metro man
6th Aug 2014, 14:51
Do a search on Kayak with LCY as the departure airport, unfortunately I don't think there's any European Airlines flying to Australia anymore so you will be looking at two stops minimum and multiple airlines vs one stop on one airline via LHR or LGW.

Eurostar might be worth considering to avoid the APD by flying from CDG and returning into LHR on a open jaw ticket.

mixture
6th Aug 2014, 14:54
Do a search on Kayak with LCY as the departure airport, unfortunately I don't think there's any European Airlines flying to Australia anymore so you will be looking at two stops minimum and multiple airlines vs one stop on one airline via LHR or LGW.

I'm sorry what ? Have you missed some words from your paragraph ?

"I don't think there's any European Airlines flying to Australia anymore" ???

Two stops minimum ?? From Europe ??

Don't you count Air France,KLM or Lufthansa as European airlines any more ?!?!

Also, I know nobody wants to fly Malaysian these days, but there are other Asian airlines with a decent reputation !

Get your facts straight man ! ;)

Gibon2
6th Aug 2014, 16:01
Don't you count Air France,KLM or Lufthansa as European airlines any more ?!?!

None of those flies to Australia (although they do codeshare on other carriers).

Two stops minimum ?? From Europe ??

If you fly from LCY, you will have at least two stops - one in Europe, and one in Asia or the Gulf. From LHR or LGW, you can do it with just the Asia/Gulf stop.

mixture
6th Aug 2014, 16:06
None of those flies to Australia (although they do codeshare on other carriers).

Only had time to do a 20 second check earlier, need to go back and do more. Not really my problem if you can't bring yourself to fly Singapore Air or Cathay though !

Also depends if you refuse to allow Quantas to be counted amongst "European airlines"

If you fly from LCY, you will have at least two stops - one in Europe, and one in Asia or the Gulf. From LHR or LGW, you can do it with just the Asia/Gulf stop.

Well yes, but it was sort of implied from the OP's desire to depart from LCY that the LCY-EU hop would not really coun't as a "stop" because that's of his own doing !

I reckon my interpretation of Metro's post is correct in that he was implying it was two stops from a EU starting point.

seafire6b
6th Aug 2014, 16:11
Basically LCY is only useful if you live or work anywhere near itYou've made my point in a nutshell - the OP says he's (she's?) only 5mins from LCY. That's what I was addressing.

Certainly doesn't take 45 minutes. I meant at LCY, from check-in to airborne - think LHR/LGW would be hard-pressed to often match that.

Don't get me wrong, I think that Heathrow particularly, does pretty well, especially considering the parameters that've been set out for them. I quite enjoy my transits through LHR, aircraft-watching, and people-watching too!

mixture
6th Aug 2014, 16:30
But given your backside is going to be on a seat for 24 hours to SYD, does 45 minutes at the start really matter ? :cool:

seafire6b
6th Aug 2014, 17:12
Nah, being realistic, you're probably right! But looking through the OP's posts and on a previous (but albeit similar) thread, he/she expressed a desire to fly from LCY.

Done that journey often enough myself, both trans-Asia and trans-Pacific, so familiar with the school of bum-numbing! Always manage to get a window-seat though, which alleviates some of the boredom that the windowless suffer. A memorable trip was at night on a Pan Am 747SP (yep!) non-stop LAX-AKL; hit some thunderstorm turbulence at cruise height, halfway across, and enjoyed seeing the lightning-lit clouds above us, as we continued. Anyway, that's all thread-drift........

Metro man
7th Aug 2014, 02:41
The journey would be a minimum of two stops with LCY as the start point, of course it would be non stop if you flew from Dubai and didn't count the flights to get there as part of the journey.:rolleyes:

A flight from LCY would save on air passenger duty as long as there was a 24 hour stop over or separate tickets were made.

A flight to any European hub would give you the choice of most of the Asian and Middle East airlines.

Any European airline showing flights to Australia is through a code share and it may work out cheaper to buy the ticket on the airline not operating the flight.

A premium ticket would give a decent amount of miles and any alliance membership would be worth taking into account.

Flying to Bangkok and then Australia on separate tickets would be worth getting a quote for as business travel to/from BKK is cheap.

Malaysia Airlines are showing some very low fares at the moment, I was looking at SIN - LHR return and they were cheapest in economy and second cheapest in business after Air India.

Flying from Heathrow or Gatwick is considerably cheaper, gives the widest choice of airlines, least number of stops and shortest journey time. China Southern from Heathrow is coming in around GBP2500 rtn with some of the flights code shared on AF or KLM.

Peter47
7th Aug 2014, 20:33
I don't know if its still the case but Swiss used to offer cheap fares to the Far East from LCY via ZRH (cheaper than to/from LHR when I flew with them). You would need to change airlines at HKG, BKK or SIN (or even NRT). As LX & SQ are both in Star Alliance you might get a codeshare via SIN - I haven't checked.

If you are booking separate tickets make sure that you have an adequate time for your connection. Otherwise you are on your own & face a very hefty bill if you don't make your connection.

Try ringing Trailfinders. They can often offer through fares with a change of airlines.

ttodd
8th Aug 2014, 20:26
Thanks, just the sort of gem I was hoping for at last....

smallpilot
9th Aug 2014, 22:12
I flew LCY to SYD a few years ago, via Fankfurt on Lufthansa.
Cant remember exactly which website I used to book it, but was something like Expedia/lLastminute/Travelocity etc.
Fare wasnt that much more expensive than from LHR and as I was living in Canary Wharf at the time it was a no brainer.