View Full Version : Flying Instructor in America over winter?

Trainee pilot
5th Jun 2001, 21:53
Hi all, I should hopefully finish my flying training about October but will only have 300 hours.(not really enough for a job). If I have to I will do the instructors rating but probably wouldn't be able to here until the following spring (lack of demand?). I thought about completing the JAA FI(R) course in America and staying there as an instructor over our winter. I would then come back in spring with a lot more hours and can instruct here until employement (hopefully).

Question: Is it possible to go to the USA on a working visa and actually be employed by a school after doing the course with them for a few months? If you know anything about this then I would appreciate some advice!
Thanks..............

clear prop!!!
6th Jun 2001, 15:57
Good question...just bringing it back to the top.

Is it not now becoming the case that for US schools to teach JAA PPL they must have instructors with a full blown JAA FI ticket?
That was to be the deal but things change every day!!

If this was the case a Visa would not be a problem, as you would be doing a job which a US national could not do (or at least very few of them could)

Mustbee
6th Jun 2001, 20:33
Good question.

Is it worth posting on "questions" perhaps?

thefridge
6th Jun 2001, 20:39
Hi
An question I asked earlier this year as I am now an instructor, but wanted to build further hours in the USA.

Contacting several schools and got conflicting replies.

There appeared to be a requirement to hold a FAA Instructors certificate as well as a JAA FI(R) to be able to instruct in the USA.

This may however not be the case as my FAA licience states the it gives me the same privilages as I have on my UK licience.

Be intesested to see the replies.

juswonnafly
7th Jun 2001, 09:41
I have taught in Florida and know a few others who have too. You need a JAA instructor rating but there IS a little bit of doubt over whether or not you can send students solo without infringing FAA laws. It is a 'grey' area though and everyone just seems to get on with it.

The FAA airmans licence ONLY gives you the priviledges of PPL.

Also regarding the visa do make sure you have the correct one (Not B1/B2) or you will be on 'thin ice'

Regards

JWF

Trainee pilot
8th Jun 2001, 01:56
Thanks all for your advice, it gives me some sort of direction now........

go
8th Jun 2001, 02:57
the only way round it is to get aJ1 visa..this entitals you to work and get paid after completing a training course to further your education...ie go to a us school and do a cpl then continue working after you complete the course..this visa is trnsferable between schools..good luck

'I' in the sky
11th Jun 2001, 02:21
JWF and the fridge.

Let me assure you by way of a suspension a colleague of mine received from the FAA that there is absolutely no doubt whatsoever that unless you have an FAA instructor rating you cannot send a student pilot solo in US airspace.

With regard to your US licence issued on the strength of a foreign licence you will find it says any restrictions which apply to the foreign license also apply to your FAA certificate. It does not make any mention to privileges being carried across. The FARs however are quite specific that the the holder of a foreign license may be issued with a US PPL.

[This message has been edited by 'I' in the sky (edited 11 June 2001).]

juswonnafly
11th Jun 2001, 12:44
'I' in the sky,

I do agree with you, without an FAA ticket you can not send a stude solo in US airspace (we were just working on the 'red tape principle' coz that made us feel better!).

Of course this particular problem can be resolved by getting an FAA instructor to do the solo stuff.

JWF