PDA

View Full Version : Air NZ crew accused of being too drunk to fly

nike
2nd Aug 2014, 02:30
Air NZ Crew too drunk for flight - National - NZ Herald News (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11302893)

neville_nobody
2nd Aug 2014, 03:17
Much speculation and not much substance going on in that article. If you read it the crew 'might' have been out partying and IF the plane was hypothetically repaired early they 'possibly' maybe caused further delay.

That is a VERY long way from Air NZ crew turning up drunk for work. This thread should be in with the quality journalism thread

Cost Index
2nd Aug 2014, 04:34
He said communication from Air New Zealand was lacking and he was "sick in the knowledge" that crew might have been out drinking while passengers, including parents with children, waited for news about their flights.
Won't somebody think of the children! :\

minimum_wage
2nd Aug 2014, 07:15
Wasn't even the crew from NZ9. Journalism scum.

nike
2nd Aug 2014, 07:32
Yep.

Herald is terrible.

The collapse of the Herald, predicted in 2009 and slowly grinding on - Whale Oil Beef Hooked | Whaleoil Media (http://www.whaleoil.co.nz/2014/08/collapse-herald-predicted-2009-slowly-grinding/)

I hear what you say NN, but if the moderators would allow, the thread is about aviation and media and the lack of accountability in reporting. Would be good to see if it stays opens for more than 6 posts.

kmagyoyo
2nd Aug 2014, 07:59
So the problems with the HNL ground staff not providing the stranded pax with the right info...the crew obviously knew the timeline so drank accordingly. Slow news day or what!

skol
3rd Aug 2014, 03:52
I'll be interested to see the outcome of this inquiry, it seems that some crew are guilty until proven innocent while management are exonerated before it's even convened.
Inquiry or witch hunt?

framer
3rd Aug 2014, 09:53
The letter from cabin crew general manager Leeanne Langridge and pilots general manager Darin Stringer says crew must remain contactable, stay rested and ensure they are prepared for duty when the need arises.
That seems strange to me. When I am off duty and trying to get some sleep I turn my phone off and take the hotel phone off the hook. Would that be against Air NZ rules about remaining " contactable" ?

carpe_jugulum
3rd Aug 2014, 11:47
Just how drunk I am allowed to be?
Slurring speech.
Stumbling over,
or actually enjoying the company of the Captain.....:E

NutLoose
3rd Aug 2014, 15:40
Apparently they went out on the town, so if the aircraft was repaired they wouldn't have been able to fly it.

Air NZ crew too drunk to fly | Toowoomba Chronicle (http://www.thechronicle.com.au/news/air-nz-crew-too-drunk-fly/2338503/)

framer
3rd Aug 2014, 20:12
so if the aircraft was repaired they wouldn't have been able to fly it.this is the sort of statement that makes me think the reporting is a bit fishy. If the crew are on standby to fly HNL AKL there will be a timeframe where they are able to do the duty, subsequent to that there will be a rest period where the crew can't be called, it's not like they can just get a call any old time and be expected to jump out of bed and operate.

mattyj
4th Aug 2014, 10:50
"When I say, give me spoilers and flap, Margaret..I want you to push up the thrust levers..."

"What are you going to do Captain..!?"

"I'm gonna roll her..!"

WOOLLY
5th Aug 2014, 05:51
As framer said, pretty sure you couldn't be on SY to fly at any stage over that whole period. There would be a rolling SY/OFF sequence. I read there were two crews so I gather one was on SY to fly and the other OFF.

skol
6th Aug 2014, 07:26
The rhetoric seems to have been toned down somewhat. Maybe management weren't exemplary after all.

Air NZ vows change after NZ9 debacle | Stuff.co.nz (http://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/travel-troubles/10355027/Air-NZ-vows-change-after-NZ9-debacle)

AirWest
6th Aug 2014, 12:50
absolutely disgusting! Wont be taking there flights no more and I'll take my business custom elsewhere!

parabellum
6th Aug 2014, 22:48
It understood they would been unfit for duty at one stage even if their plane had been airworthy.

Which it wasn't and the crew knew it.

The flying captains responsibility is to liaise with engineering, (possibility of a test flight, ground run etc), and work backwards from the 'not before' time given him/her. The comfort of, transport of and communication with pax is the responsibility of the ANZ airport manager or the appointed agent.

nike
6th Aug 2014, 23:57
Actions of Air New Zealand jets unsettle eyewitness - National - NZ Herald News (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11305070&ref=NZH_FBpage)

How awesome is the media?

And eyewitnesses for that matter?

Ol' mate is full of facts n figures....that he plucked out of his @rse.

And then the old biddy chimes in on the crazy departure.

Journalism is not a profession.

AirWest
7th Aug 2014, 00:48
It is the same as a camera. Those who have flashy new camera think they are a photographer. Go figure.

NoseGear
7th Aug 2014, 01:23
Ever since the recent spate of accidents, we in aviation are being scrutinized by the media, and also apparently by completely unqualified spotters:rolleyes: In any event, the disgraceful race to condemn the HNL crew, with absolutely zero facts reported, makes the NZ Herald seem as unprofessional a rabble as they seem desperate to paint us pilots as. This latest is nothing but a complete joke, and I sincerely wonder at the veracity of "reporting" and editing, whilst marveling at the apparent ease with which a spotter, with ZERO aviation experience, can call up the Herald and make, what they obviously believe, is a credible aviation report.:hmm::yuk: Where for the love of Vishnu is the common sense at the Herald?! Who on earth allowed this drivel to be published?! You should be ashamed of yourselves, totally unprofessional behaviour. := As an aside, AirWest, if you believe this reporting, good riddance.:rolleyes:

AirWest
7th Aug 2014, 02:25
Be interesting to see what will happen / if anything will be done by the powers of Air New Zealand?

waren9
7th Aug 2014, 02:33
unless they were a crew member on the day i doubt it :rolleyes:

tipsy2
7th Aug 2014, 02:35
AirWest, you only know what your "friend" told you which may or may not be "fact"

Have you validated what they told you?

T:rolleyes:

NoseGear
7th Aug 2014, 05:01
AirWest, your "friend" was there in what capacity? If he/she was SLF, then they know nothing....and you are coming across as juvenile at best to be quite honest:rolleyes:

CI300
7th Aug 2014, 06:54
Ha ha, skywest.. I call B.S. on your post.

Im getting pretty tired of the ignorant bashing thats going on.

nike
7th Aug 2014, 17:00
Are bloggers the replacement for mainstream media in light of no professionalism left in MSM?

Herald now writing stories from plane spotters - Whale Oil Beef Hooked | Whaleoil Media (http://www.whaleoil.co.nz/2014/08/herald-now-writing-stories-plane-spotters/)

Blackjack_
11th Aug 2014, 11:44
haha, that's just ridiculous. I should maybe look for work at the Herald. I could sit at an airport and count the go arounds, then talk about how the aircraft "climbed like a bloody blizzard". Journalism at its finiest.

No Fly Zone
13th Aug 2014, 11:07
I'm reading a lot of speculation in these posts, yet most demonstrate that posters have not read the newspaper article.
While a truly unfortunate situation, the 'mainstream media's' reporting is horrible. Sadly, it contains little fact and its own dose of speculation. The headlines in the newspaper - as well is in this thread are just horrible. Shame on all concerned. :=

Capn Bloggs
13th Aug 2014, 12:19
“As per standard operating procedure, the pilot applied thrust to increase the aircraft’s altitude.
Maybe I was DRUNK and forgot when they told me that at flight school... :ok: