PDA

View Full Version : Airbus ECAM actions on ground

The Old Swedish
1st Aug 2014, 10:24
Good afternoon,

can anyone confirm that the guarded switches, engine master sw., etc. do NOT have to be confirmed with the other pilot, when used during ground operations?

Any reference in the manuals?

Max Angle
1st Aug 2014, 10:56
First page of the General section of the QRH.

PNF responsible for:

"Using engine master switches, cockpit C/Bs, IR and guarded switches with PF confirmation (except on ground)"

Would still confirm them though..cost nothing...Its not the way Airbus want you to run it, during an emergency on the ground the PF, normally the Captain once the park brake has been set, is supposed to be talking to ATC/Cabin Crew etc. and using all the available information from outside and inside to build up to an evacuate or stay decision. Come back together once the ECAM is complete and if an evacuation is required, again the actions are carried out without cross check.

Giggey
1st Aug 2014, 10:56
FCTM OP-040 Ecam Handling in the Abnormal operation, Task sharing rules there are 2 lines mid paragraph which say so.

Would still confirm them though..cost nothing...

Cheers

Giggey
1st Aug 2014, 21:23
Its not the way Airbus want you to run it, during an emergency on the ground the PF, normally the Captain once the park brake has been set, is supposed to be talking to ATC/Cabin Crew etc. and using all the available information from outside and inside to build up to an evacuate or stay decision. Come back together once the ECAM is complete and if an evacuation is required, again the actions are carried out without cross check.

You should tell it to the trainer which checked me on my last sim, it seems to be the "orange" way of doing it :}

TyroPicard
1st Aug 2014, 21:48
Orange is different.... somewhere in he books it says those actions should be confirmed.

Field In Sight
1st Aug 2014, 23:29
For me, on the ground, crosschecking engine master switches only delays the actions in an emergency. So I'm in agreement with the PNF just does it principle.

For things like CB's, IRSs and guarded switches, what's the rush. Cross check it.

vilas
2nd Aug 2014, 03:07
What Max Angle said is right. For engine fire on ground after ECAM is ordered the cockpit virtually splits in two parts. PNF goes on to secure everything all the way to EVAC required and the CM1 by that time has the answer having collected information from fire chief, ATC or Crew. The procedure of confirming irreversible actions in the air is because of it's safety implications. That is not the case on ground. Because delay in assessing EVAC requirement can be more serious. However a few airlines have their own ideas as is the case with some other procedures and you got to be loyal to your pay cheque. So be it.