PDA

View Full Version : CLASS 1 OR CLASS 2?

tedwest96
31st Jul 2014, 20:32
At the moment I have around 15 hours and hope to fly on and get my PPL License, however I am also interested in the integrated courses such as CTC OR CAE to get the ATPL.

If I were to get my Class 2 Medical first would this stop me from getting a Class 1??

I am 18 years old and physically + mentally fit

Mark 1
1st Aug 2014, 00:57
There's no great need to get a Class 1 earlier than necessary.
If you intend to go on to a flying career, then it would be an idea to ask the AME assessing you for the Class 2 if he thinks there would be any issues with you obtaining Class 1 with eyesight, hearing etc.

You could get a Class 1 now and use it for Class 2 privileges. At least you would have the initial issue out of the way and confirmed that there are no issues, but it is a significant expense that can be deferred until required.

Liam_Mulholalnd
1st Aug 2014, 21:06
Having gone through the same process as you tedwest96 I got my Class 2 then Class 1 a couple of years later and to be honest is wished I just went and got my Class 1 straight away. Sadly when I went and had my Class 1 it was found I was slightly colour deficient and unable to fly commercially (ended up with a restricted class 1 though). So If you have any issues about your health just go and get the Class 1 straight away to avoid any disappointment.

The only pain about the Class 1 is getting to Gatwick to have it, I had to fly down which was another £100 on top on the £350 for the medical.

Scottish.CPL
8th Aug 2014, 22:42
Liam how many colour plates did you fail and were you offered the cad test!!

DCK81
13th Aug 2014, 14:16
I'd recommended going for your Class 1 as well if you are wanting to go commercial. I was doing my PPL last year with the intention of going commercial, I took others advice and went in for my class 1 which I failed !!! the first thing we covered was Colour vision, failed on the plates and CAD, that was the end of that, medical £350 and travel costs of £130 to be there only for an hour, didnt even get an option of a restricted medical which I know wouldnt let me fly commercially but at least Id still be able to continue doing my PPL.

Liam_Mulholalnd
14th Aug 2014, 15:58
I did the CAD test Scottish.CPL and failed horribly, I was over the threshold by at least 5 units so not even marginal. I just don't get colour vision as I can see Red and Green fine and I've even been up on a night flight and could make out the PAPI's and taxiway lights fine.

Oh well was nice to dream.

AircrewDoc
18th Aug 2014, 12:02
Hi,

As brought out by the posts above - the main worry is that the Initial Class I is much more detailed and thorough than a Class 2 Medical - so even if you have a valid Class 2 medical there is no guarantee that you will clear a Initial Class 1 medical. Suggest you get an Initial Class I and then pump in that large chunk of money for your training.
Once you have a valid Initial Class I, even if you do (God Forbid!) develop a problem later most Aviation Authorities would look at the possibility of giving you a waiver as they would for a medical problem in an experienced pilot.