PDA

View Full Version : Hey-who is stabbing us in the back??

WE Branch Fanatic
25th May 2002, 23:50
Dirty war opens on Marines' new chief
By Sean Rayment
(Filed: 26/05/2002)

The new commander of the Royal Marines' operation in Afghanistan has become the victim of a dirty tricks campaign, with opponents within the Ministry of Defence attempting to blacken his name even before he takes up his command.

Brig James Dutton is due to take charge of 3 Commando Brigade in the next few weeks from Roger Lane, the brigadier whose removal from the post after a series of military setbacks caused controversy last week.

Brig Dutton, a Falklands veteran with an impeccable military curriculum vitae, was chosen to succeed Brig Lane because, according to the MoD, he is equipped with "highly sensitive political antennae and will not stray from the MoD party line".

Last week, however, a senior MoD official contacted The Telegraph to accuse Brig Dutton of being a second-rate officer.

The official said Brig Dutton's professional capability was open to question because he had failed to pass the officer selection course to join the British Army and had joined the Royal Marines instead.

The official said: "Dutton tried to join the Army in 1972 but couldn't pass the Regular Commissions Board. Lane isn't a particularly nice person but he is a relatively competent officer; the reverse is true of Dutton.

"He joined the Royal Marines because he wasn't good enough to pass selection for the Army. He was accepted by the Royal Marines at a time when the quality of their officers was very poor. It was an open secret that their officers were poor but the soldiers were very good."

The revelation is further evidence that Geoff Hoon's defence ministry is a Government department at war with itself. A week ago Mr Hoon, the Defence Secretary, was forced to back Brig Lane publicly after The Telegraph revealed that senior defence officials believed that he should be sacked for overstating the success of the Afghan operation.

Mr Hoon said he had total confidence in Brig Lane just hours before it emerged that the brigadier had already been told that he was being removed early from his job as commander of the Marines in Afghanistan.

A MoD spokesman confirmed yesterday that Brig Dutton had failed to pass the Regular Commissions Board but added that he was a highly capable senior officer. "You don't get to be a brigadier by being a nitwit.

"He may have failed the Army board 30 years ago but his CV places it all in perspective. We would certainly prefer not to see Brig Dutton's profile raised just as a tool for courting further controversy."

The spokesman said that the brigadier would not be available to comment and added: "It's not in anybody's interest to speak to Brig Dutton at the moment because it would undermine Brig Lane even further."

Bernard Jenkin, the shadow defence secretary, said: "There has been a huge failure of ministerial leadership in the Ministry of Defence.

"Labour thinks Government departments are simply there for their own aggrandisement. Hoon is turning out to be the new Byers."

Man-on-the-fence
26th May 2002, 10:17
Well I for one think that it is a disgrace.
Brig Lane has never looked as if he felt comfortable in front of the Cameras and I cant help but think that because of this the spin doctors knives are out for him.

You see not only have our Armed Forces got to fight wars with inadequate equipment in impossible locations nowadys, they also have to put the correct spin on the campaign. :mad:

I for one think that he is doing a good job in difficult circumstances (although I admit to no first hand info on this).

His treatment by faceless Civil Servants and MP's is a national disgrace

Art Field
26th May 2002, 10:29
Here we are seeing, in the press, an example of MOD loosing touch with the frontline again. "You don't understand the big picture" demonstrates that at that level Politics and self promotion are more important than ensuring the support to those who have to do the job at waterfront level. Too many wouldbe senior officers chasing the top jobs and how many of those posts are really necessary?

Ali Barber
26th May 2002, 11:01
Can you imagine the witch hunt that would follow if one of us contacted the Telegraph. I hope they hunt down that a*rsehole of a "senior MOD official" and introduce him to the unemployment benefits office.

WE Branch Fanatic
26th May 2002, 11:03
Admiral Woodward faced the same problem in the Falklands War, dealing with the media had not been part of his background.

But the current trend for spin......

Axel-Flo
26th May 2002, 22:28
Gentlemen if I may,
Were you to take a look at the Officers, Snco's and other ranks currently serving in a wealth of capacities within the armed forces it is not suprising that the individuals may have applied for and been rejected by other services or even branches. Just look at the threads posted by prospective candidates on this web site trying to find a channel for their application forms. AAC, RAF or FAA ?
At time of application many candidates are unaware of what they have to offer or even to which service their potential talents and skills would be best employed or even in terms of the recruiters acceptable. More to the point where their actual strengths could be put to best use (an individual unable to say "No" would never make it in any stores branch for example).
The fact that initially the officer was found unacceptable to the Army should be viewed in a positive light. However, he has gone on to prove himself (or herself... just to add a notion of PC) an individual with drive potential and ability to not only pass through the very high standards required by CTCRM (much as in my heart it pains me to acknowledge it but lets not forget you can turn a frog into a prince but you can't turn a prince into a ..........) but to be given an operational command as well.
In all services we know, of those who serve, it can take time to find a niche into which they fit. Even then there is the option to change position. Give the man a chance and look amongst the individuals with which they serve. Their backgrounds may provide them with a wealth of untapped knowledge and ability..... MEM to Cdr/SAC to Sqn Ldr/ Pte to Col it happens and more.
It is very easy for individuals to capitalise on what some consider a failure especially the press, ultimately its sensationalism from those in ignorant bliss who are out to make money from the GBP (maybe just the great unwashed but i'm sure you'll get the point.:rolleyes:

WE Branch Fanatic
26th May 2002, 22:50
Agree 100% Axel.