View Full Version : How many Irish wannabes are out there?

Turbsy
5th Jun 2001, 16:04
Hi all,

Just wondering how many fellow Irish wannabes are out there? Would be great to hear from some of you, what your plans are in terms of getting a flying career, are you going to train in Ireland if some schools will be approved later this year, are you going to go to the UK/USA, etc.

Best regards,
Turbsy

flighter
5th Jun 2001, 16:18
I`m an Irish wannabe. I`m hoping for sponsorship just like everybody else but I`m relatively new to this.

I got interested a few months ago and have been looking at the options ever since.

Have you any information on schools in Ireland?

Do you have any advice?

I`m going to apply to BA soon but I`m unsure how they tage to the Irish....advantage...disadvantage...
If anybody else has any information please post a reply also

Turbsy
5th Jun 2001, 21:06
Hi there,

Well at the moment you can go get you PPL in most if not all flying schools in Ireland now, under new regulations which are in effect (JAR).

I would recommend taking a few flying lessons first if you have not already done so. This will give you a good idea of whether or not you really want to fly. If so great. Applying to BA is what I hope to be doing as well this Aug when the Leaving results are out. I know that there are a good few Irish pilots in the airline. One of them was a past pupil at my school, so I believe.

Don't pin all your hopes on BA or Aer Lingus, or any other airline that does sponsorship though. Its tough to get through but you never know, you might make it.

If sponsorships don't work out for you, you can always take the popular route of going to a flying sch and getting your licenses, etc and then looking for a job. I hear one or two schools in Ireland might be approved later this year under the new regulations for commercial pilot training. But this road is expensive.

Do some searching around on this web-site and you will find tons of information on how people are going about training, where to go, how much it costs,advice on this and that etc.

Hope this helps, if you need anymore info, just drop us an e-mail.

All the best,
Turbsy