PDA

View Full Version : CBT not working as expected? Read this.

Pilot_76
26th Jul 2014, 16:41
Hello,

CBTs were designed having MS' IE design.:ugh::ugh::ugh:

If for some reason your current CBT stops working (sound issues, graphics etc) I have found a solution. Search for youtube as to how to downgrade the current version of IE. That is found in Windows Update's History. Disable automatic updates otherwise it will update IE again to the latest version. I've got CBTs by Boeing and Airbus and they do work only under IE version 9. Current IE version is 11. That is under Win 7 64 bits. Other Windows versions I cannot say since I only use Win 7 64. Give it a try. It is much easier than downgrading the whole system to Win XP.

You can start here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvZhyuorakU

If you have Internet explorer version 11 you must keep downgrading from 11 until you reach version nine. You must then repeat the same process of downgrading more than once.

Cheers!:ok::ok::ok:

mixture
27th Jul 2014, 10:21
downgrading the whole system to Win XP

This is not an option. Windows XP is obsolete, no longer supported, no patches etc.

Also surely if you were to speak to your CBT provider, there would be other options than the risky endavour of downgrading XP, e.g. they may simply be using a plugin that needs to be updated ?

Saab Dastard
27th Jul 2014, 10:53
Mixture, selectively quoting a portion of the original post is unfair.

What he actually said was

It is much easier than downgrading the whole system to Win XP.

Which to my mind is actually saying the reverse of what you are imputing to him.

His point is that you can use a properly supported OS to run these applications that one might otherwise be tempted to use XP to access.

I agree that XP is a no-no, but there's a time and a place and this wasn't it.

SD

mixture
27th Jul 2014, 11:24
Saab,

Huh ? :confused:

Maybe you've misunderstood me or I've misunderstood you or both ?

He said "It is much easier than downgrading the whole system to Win XP".

However given that downgrading to XP is not even an option, then making a comparison about how much easier X is than Y is irrelevant, thus as I implied, that phrase I quoted from his paragraph should never have been there in the first place.... I guess that was the underlying point I was trying to make.

I also maintain my point about checking plugins with the CBT provider, since that's the likely cause, rather than the version of IE being too new.

Booglebox
27th Jul 2014, 12:50
Downgrading your IE / OS version is pointless when you can instead use Compatibility Mode. (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/internet-explorer/use-compatibility-view#ie=ie-11)

mad_jock
27th Jul 2014, 17:40
mixture if it takes a wannabie to down grade there PC to windows XP to get a piece of software working that they want for training to be a pilot that is exactly what they are going to do.

They won't care its unsupported as long as they can use the CBT.

As I suspect that the CBT that most wannbies have got their hands on from Boeing and Airbus isn't exactly purchased I suspect the level of support will be nill.

mixture
27th Jul 2014, 18:41
As I suspect that the CBT that most wannbies have got their hands on from Boeing and Airbus isn't exactly purchased I suspect the level of support will be nill.

Well I don't care about people who infringe copyright and use pirated copies of things, they get what they deserve in terms of stability, functionality problems etc. The cost of properly licensed copy of CBT software is minimal compared to everything else a P2F wannabe needs to pay for... ;)

If a questionably obtained copy is the reason it won't work on a supported version of Windows and a supported version of Internet Explorer, then I rest my case...

(Just to state the obvious, not accusing Pilot_76 of anything here... just speaking in general terms !)

mad_jock
27th Jul 2014, 19:05
h'mm you are talking about costs and access you have no idea about.

You also don't have a clue about the amounts of cash these kids are fronting up for training these days.

Some of the fo's out there don't have enough money to eat and they are the lucky ones because they are logging hours.

The ones that manage to get a chance at a sim check for a job are going to use everything available to get that job.

If it means using XP against your advice and everybody else's advice that is exactly what they are going to do without a second thought.

The P2F crowd don't need this software as they will be paying through the nose to do a type rating and will use the TRTO's CBT package.

mixture
27th Jul 2014, 21:49
mad_jock,

Hmm..

mad_jock, you are just being controversial and argumentative for the sake of it.

How much is a CBT CD going to set them back ? Doubt it will be more than £500 as a worst case figure (infact I seem to recall it being about 400USD as I paid for a B777 one from an approved US supplier that came on a USB stick along with updates and support for 12/24 months for someone a while back as part of my contribution towards their training costs ... so not even anywhere near £500) .... how much are they putting up for their training these days ? £60,000 or something ?

However you want to put it, the CBT is a small drop in the ocean (less than 0.5% of their total training costs) ... and quite frankly it is an important investment !

If the TRTO has a package they are licensed to allow the trainee to use, then (a) that should be up to date and (b) they should have access to support resources from the developer... so your banging on about XP being the right thing to do is utter bull in that scenario.... all they need to do is ring the helpdesk.

As I said, I don't give a toss for people who infringe copyright .... it costs money to develop and maintain these training resources, so show the rights owners some damn respect ! To paraphrase you ... you obviously don't have a clue about software development !

mad_jock
28th Jul 2014, 10:44
No i am not, i am just trying to bring a bit of realism into the procedings.

The fo i flew with this morning was 145k euro owing to the bank. Thier disposable income is 350 euros a month after loans etc are paid. That 350 has to pay for food as well.

Flying instructors will be lucky to earn 14k a year and out of that have to pay about 1250 to keep mep and ir valid and medical to be able to apply for jobs. 500 quid is one months intrest repayments on there training loan.

mixture
28th Jul 2014, 13:24
Yes you are because you can't even make your mind up whether you want to sit on the "the TRTO licenses it" side of the fence or "woe betide the P2F guys" (even though they know exactly what they are getting into, but that's another story !).

If your 145kEUR figure is correct then the equivalent of 250GBP (not 500 as I earlier implied because I checked the US figure) is even less of a drop in the ocean.

My point stands. You know you're getting yourself into an expensive debt ridden endeavour otherwise known as P2F, however you also know you need quality training and quality training materials.... CBT is a pretty fundamental part of that.

You see CBT as an expense. I see CBT as an investment.

However, to keep things civil, I guess we'd better just agree to disagree and leave it at that.....the thread has already drifted enough !

mad_jock
28th Jul 2014, 13:38
My point still stands that all wannabies won't care what your opinion is on the subject and if it requires xp thats what they will load on thier computers to get it to work.

If it was a option of paying 10 quid for a legal copy and using a pirate version the legal copy users would be in a minority amongst wannabies.

Mike-Bracknell
28th Jul 2014, 14:51
My point still stands that all wannabies won't care what your opinion is on the subject and if it requires xp thats what they will load on thier computers to get it to work.

If it was a option of paying 10 quid for a legal copy and using a pirate version the legal copy users would be in a minority amongst wannabies.

In which case, if they're unwilling to pay for software then they reap what they sew in terms of knock-on effects that come with it (such as downgrading to XP, etc).

BOAC
28th Jul 2014, 17:02
Is not a solution to run XP but not connect to the internet?

mixture
28th Jul 2014, 18:35
Is not a solution to run XP but not connect to the internet?

Well, yes, but given we are talking about people who see it as acceptable to run an ancient version of a browser on a computer that is inevitably connected to the internet, then the likelihood of said XP machine remaining disconnected from the internet for long is somewhat slim.

Neither ancient browsers or obsolete operating systems are the answer... up-to-date CBT combined with correct browser plugins is.

BEagle
28th Jul 2014, 19:33
Well, I've just been wrestling for the first time with that dismal POS known as Windows 8.1.....

Bring back WinXP...please!!

Win7 is OK, I would agree. But Win8.1 is utterly abysmal and I hope that whoever agreed to its release will forever rot in his own excrement....

mad_jock
28th Jul 2014, 20:35
never going to happen mixture.

And they are more than willing to screw the entire internet up as long as they can use the CBT.

Booglebox
29th Jul 2014, 09:11
BEagle I would argue that 8.1 with update 1 is actually usable. For an unusable OS, try 8 :ooh:

...you are just being controversial and argumentative for the sake of it.

Please arrange the following words into a well-known phrase or saying: "kettle", "calling", "black", "pot", "the".

BEagle
30th Jul 2014, 10:10
Booglebox, the small laptop I bought to replace my 11 year old Dell Latitude X200, which gave up the ghost last week, came with Win8.1 and I have now downloaded all available updates from Microsoft.

But what a POS even Win8.1 update 1 is. No 'All Programs' list, non-intuitive requirements to create desktop shortcuts - and it came with Office Home and Student pre-installed, which includes Word 2013 :yuk: ! Fortunately this laptop will only be connected to the kitchen TV's HDMI socket review documents created elsewhere and to have Internet available.

I'm also getting compatability issues using Win8.1 and IE11 with some websites, whereas Firefox runs just fine.

The whole Win8 / Office 2013 saga has been a complete and utter disaster. Whichever geeks dreamed up this cr@p should be forced to sit in front of Win7.1 machine running Office 2007 and be told "Look at this - that's what customers want! Now go and sort it out or look for another job!".

KBPsen
30th Jul 2014, 10:51
Corrected it for you.

"Look at this - that's what customers once complained about but now has gotten used to".

Specaircrew
2nd Aug 2014, 12:55
Beagle, give Start8 from Stardock a try, makes Windows 8 look like 7 and you get the start button back! Win 8.1 is much better if you boot straight to the desktop and avoid all the irritating apps that are designed for phones and tablets :-)

Keef
2nd Aug 2014, 15:54
Sort-of with you, Beagle. Windows 7 Home Edition works well for me. It replaced XP Professional, and did almost all I needed (one little download filled the gap). I tried Windows 8, couldn't get on with it (I understand they've fixed some of the sillinesses, but I'm not going to invest my hard-earned in finding out).

I gave away the Office 2007 I bought for this PC, and fished out the Office 2003 (I think it had another name, but it's from that era). I couldn't get on with 2007 and the array of drop-down tapes and the fact that they kept moving all over the screen. i'm a simple soul, and I can get all the "functions" I use regularly on two toolbars at the top of the page, where they stay put regardless of what I'm doing.
I even have virtually the same layout for Word and Excel, and Publisher isn't that different.

Just when I thought I'd have to give in and change, MS (bless 'em) brought out a plugin for my version that allows me to read and save .xlsx and .docx files.

I'm sure I'm wide open to all kinds of nasties as a result of using the old versions, but thus far have lived a charmed life.

BEagle
3rd Aug 2014, 07:49
Having evaded all Micro$oft's attempts to get me to create a 'Micro$oft Account', I eventually managed to get the system running OK and after downloading quite a few Windows updates, I'm now using Win8.1u1, with boot to desktop. Having fathomed out how to add desktop icons and a taskbar, it's almost like Win7.1 now, but the overall look/feel of Win8 is that it was designed for 11 year olds - it lacks any professional style and some basic features seem to be absent. For example, when right clicking on what masquerades as a start button, the glaring white menu looks cheap and nasty - and where is 'All programs'? WinXP had a much nicer look/feel (as did Win95)!

I also preferred Office 2003 over Office 2007, but have now got used to it. But as for Office 2013, that really is dreadful! Fortunately I won't be using it to write any documents, merely for opening some created on another machine.

At least Win8.1u1 with IE11 is better for Internet surfing than was WinXP with IE8, but I suspect that was more because IE8 was bogged down with all the advertising junk and farsebook / twatter links which infest the Internet these days?

One thing which really is driving me nuts is that 'Display to second screen only' cuts off the HDMI output to that screen (as does closing the lid with 'duplicate displays' - and I can't find anything to change that, even though all 'close lid' options are set to 'do nothing')!