PDA

View Full Version : Reputable flying schools NW UK

jethrolx
26th Jul 2014, 09:52
Pretty much as the title suggests, are there any reputable flying schools in the NW UK? I have some flying experience and just want some advice on how best to capitalise on that.
Without trying to be defamatory, but when I recently went to Barton airport the conversation was both biased and depressing. All I got was an ear bashing about the state of the industry and how hopeless it all is. I think I'll take my £££££'s somewhere more inspirational.

Cheers.

Genghis the Engineer
26th Jul 2014, 10:06
If you are in NW-UK, there are reputable schools at Prestwick, Glasgow, Cumbernauld. ..

Travelling south to listen to ill informed English gossip seems a bit pointless. Stick to the local schools.

Treadstone1
26th Jul 2014, 14:11
Did you call into Manchester Flight Training? They are very good and are still the only EASA compliant ATO at Barton...

CAP509castaway
27th Jul 2014, 21:18
I don't want to put a damper on your ambition but at your age you will find it difficult to get a job in a highly competitive market place.
Possibly the people you were talking to we're being realistic and it wasn't what you wanted to hear.
Good luck!

jethrolx
28th Jul 2014, 15:13
I would REALLY love to know what the hell age has to do with my original post. Aviation is no different to any other industry in that there is an over subscription of candidates for the better jobs. Ask any graduate what their career prospects are like in the UK at the moment...
If you mean to say that at 35 I won't be picked up by BA or some other legacy airline for a fully ticketed training program, I'd fancy you might be right. But if you think at 35 I am too old to be picked up by an airline for which I will have to pay for my own training, I'd say that is a fairly ignorant and misinformed opinion. I have a friend who was 5 years older than I am now who was employed and has been happily flying dash 8's on good t's and c's for 2 years.

The bitter vitriol I was given had nothing to do with my age, just someone elses jaded view on an industry that is no longer what it once was. But in the real world NO industry is what it used to be. There was once a time when most industries had cadetship program's to see people gain tertiary qualification while they worked, they barely exist anymore yet we still expect airlines to cough up (it would be nice!)

CAP509castaway
28th Jul 2014, 19:22
Feel free to PM me if you want to ask any questions.

commercialpilotinfo
29th Jul 2014, 02:39
I know it's the other end of the country to what you asked but I did some training with VVB Aviation in Southend and they treated this Aussie really well. They were also very helpful in sorting out the change of licence problems between the Australian CPL/ATPL and the European one.

jethrolx
30th Jul 2014, 16:30
Thanks for the responses so far, I am starting to fire out some emails but no responses as yet. I think I'll have to go in person!

Duchess_Driver
3rd Aug 2014, 11:12
Surprised nobody has mentioned JD @ Hawarden.

Sorry, can't seem to find a contact number for him at the moment.

paulbex
5th Aug 2014, 23:25
I go to Westair at Blackpool, they are very good and competitive on price. The aircfaft are very well maintaned. They are also based in class G airspace and there's plenty of big landmarks around there which helps in the early stages.