PDA

View Full Version : flying in the UK

qUadform
25th Jul 2014, 12:43
Hello:

I have flown in Europe, Africa, Asia, America (like most people on this forum)...etc. and I am wondering if somebody could help me understand a few of the nuances associated with ATC in the UK.

First off, I think the ATC in the UK is superb, but I would like to understand a few of the different operating procedures as compared to the rest of Europe.

1. They (UK ATC) seem to offer pilots a choice of either de-confliction service or another service which I am not familiar with (ok..I am not familiar with either). What are the two services exactly and what do they mean to the pilot and why does no other ATC in the world do this type of thing? I hate to say it, but when going into or out of the UK and the controller asks which service I require, I simply say "de-confliction" since that is the only name I hear other pilots saying. I know this sounds silly...but trust me, there are lots of non-UK pilots simply saying "de-confliction service" because that silences the ATC.

2. Isn't the point of a SID to simplify a departure and keep all departing traffic uniform and doing the same thing? So why do the UK SIDS show min. and max altitudes on the departure waypoints...why not just be like the other SIDS in the world, i.e. give a climb altitude or FL and show an altitude to be at when crossing a waypoint if required? I get the whole step climb thing around London, but why have a SID like this out of Aberdeen for example?

Again, I think the ATC is top notch....but do the controllers know that some of the non-UK pilots have no idea about "de-confliction" or whatever the other choices are? It's like going to a Chinese restaurant your first time and not being able to read or pronounce what food you are ordering...so you just pick something because that stops the confusion from the waiter and keeps things moving along.

Thanks!

Miles Magister
25th Jul 2014, 13:17
Q4

The services you mention are particular to the UK when operating outside of controlled airspace. It is a good idea to understand them as the service you get will affect the type of deconfliction and terrain separation available.

You can find the UK R/T manual hereCAP413: Radiotelephony Manual | Publications | About the CAA (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?appid=11&mode=detail&id=3441). The chapter you need is the one for Commercial Pilots. This is fully compliant with the latest amendments to ICAO Annex 10.

When departing on a SID there are many routes which are coordinated between several airfields. So there is a box of airspace you will fly through. As long as you are above a certain height at a certain point you will be clear of traffic below but you can continue an efficient climb profile so long as you do not exceed the maximum height. Allowing aircraft to be between 2 heights at a particular point allows for efficient continuous climb profiles without step climbs.

I hope this is helpful.

MM

the boy
25th Jul 2014, 20:05
Hopefully this link will answer many of your questions on Point 1

ATSOCAS | Airspace & Safety Initiative (http://airspacesafety.com/atsocas/)

refplus20
11th Aug 2014, 09:11
Take note of one UK ATC peculiarity. The phrase 'Climb to .....' and 'Climb now to .....' when on a SID means in the first case that you are cleared to climb to the given altitude/level and disregard the SID's altitude/level restrictions, whereas in the second case you are cleared to the given altitude/level, but still have to comply with any SID altitude/level that may be present.

OhNoCB
11th Aug 2014, 20:34
Other way around Refplus!