PDA

View Full Version : resticted FAA ppl based on foreign license

treykule
25th Jul 2014, 08:56
For Canadian and UK license holders this is a pretty painless process to get a temporary FAA ppl license.

However, I could not find anything on the FAA website regarding doing this with licenses from other countries.

Has anyone any experience doing this?

captjns
25th Jul 2014, 12:44
Communicate with a flight school in the US. They will provide you with accurate details in obtaining an FAA airman certificate.

PNY
30th Jul 2014, 02:32
Any ICAO Member nation (India, Singapore, etc) with an Unrestricted PPL may obtain an FAA Validation (an FAA Private Pilot certificate based on a foreign license) by starting the process from your home country approximately 90 days in advance.

When you complete that FAA paperwork, you will need to specify an FAA Flight Standards District Office (FSDO) in a city that you will visit in the next 6 to 9 months to collect the Temporary certification with the Permanent being mailed to you from FAA in Oklahoma City latter.

The in-person meeting with an FSDO Inspector, due to events of 9-11, with your pre-approved FAA Validation request, foreign license + foreign medical (not FAA) + foreign radio permit + Passport showing legal entry into the USA (tourist visa okay). At this time the FAA does not charge a fee for this service but it is expensive to have to make a visit to the USA.

Start the process, as follows:

Airmen Certification ? Verify the Authenticity of a Foreign License, Rating, or Medical Certification (http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/foreign_license_verification)

Good luck!

captjns
30th Jul 2014, 03:06
The FAA does not issue validations. Subsequent to successful completion of a medical, written exam and flight test for the rating being sort, a tepmporary airman certificate will then be issued by the FAA.

MarkerInbound
30th Jul 2014, 05:27
captjns,

Look at 61.75. The FAA will issue a private certificate "based on" a foreign private or higher license. No written or checkride required, just a flight review after you leave the FSDO. For holders of a Transport Canada license, they can get an equivalent level "free standing" certificate with just a 40 question test, again no checkride.

captjns
30th Jul 2014, 18:58
I stand corrected. Cheers MarkerInbound:ok:

pilotchute
31st Jul 2014, 12:10
Captjns,

I'm off to pick up my licence on Tuesday based on my ICAO. I will let you know what I get.