PDA

View Full Version : No More Taxdodging for Ryanair Staff in DK

SMT Member
24th Jul 2014, 14:36
The Danish and Irish tax authorities have reached an agreement, which ends a 1965 agreement on double taxation. According to the old agreement, which Ryanair staff based in Denmark is currently working under, taxes was paid in the country of the operators home base. The new deal, however, has changed that so that employees pay taxes in the country they are based.

The reasoning behind this deal is to end social dumping, as the tax rate in Ireland for low-wage earners is around 20% vs around 40% in Denmark. By offering staff a contract at the lower Irish tax rate, Ryanair has been able to pay substantially less than the market average. And, of course, at the same time having their employees leeching off a society they don't contribute to.

Link (in Danish): Skatteminister slukker for Ryanairs danske skattefidus | Nyheder | DR (http://www.dr.dk/Nyheder/Penge/2014/07/24/120147.htm)

JeroenC
24th Jul 2014, 14:52
Leeching... That makes it sounds as if the employees are rogue and had a choice... Please rephrase.

RAT 5
24th Jul 2014, 16:50
Are you talking of real employees or does your message include those who find themselves hold-up in an Irish based triumvirate, but plying their trade outside the emerald isle?

Station_Calling
24th Jul 2014, 17:26
Leeching... That makes it sounds as if the employees are rogue and had a choice... Please rephrase.

Yes - they had a choice - they knew what they were getting into.

Al Murdoch
24th Jul 2014, 18:48
Yes - a choice of unemployment or work for Ryanair.
So not a choice at all.

JeroenC
24th Jul 2014, 19:44
And, legal as well. Just a legal deal has changed now.

despegue
24th Jul 2014, 20:24
Absolute bull.

There are a lot of crew that due to airline requirements, like ACMI, have to change base several times a year. Will they have to declare taxes in all these countries?!

Better not pay anything at all. Governments hate aviation and pilots anyhow so no reason to support them.

zerotohero
25th Jul 2014, 08:19
SMT Member

I agree with others that Leeching is a bit harsh and also far from the truth.

In my experience most of the guys based in a lot of Ryanair bases commute, they take very little from the system in there so called based country position. I did it in Spain for 18 months and I needed the dentist so I flew home! I needed the Doctor I stayed at home this time as was already there. I did not enrol my kids in the local school or get my missis on any state funded courses. I lived in a hotel so did not need the use of the bin men to clear any more rubbish than the hotel would expect from any guest. or use the fire service to put out my car on fire as I did not have one.

I did use all these services at home so why shouldn't I contribute there!

I agree you should pay tax's where you live. but commuting in every 5 days a staying in a cheap hotel is not living.

Aluminium shuffler
25th Jul 2014, 12:04
While I agree with the vein of the thread, it's a shame it had to be posted with an insult to those who had no choice about the matter, and had to sign up to the unfair taxes under duress, protests ignored. This suggests the poster is just another bitter, uninformed biggot.

BlueVolta
25th Jul 2014, 14:11
There is always a choice..... But a lot accept the conditions of Ryanair thinking they are more clever that the others and that they will gain experience and then go for a better job.

Unfortunately by doing so they killed the whole profession.

Al Murdoch
25th Jul 2014, 15:34
What would you do in the same situation? Please, offer us your pearls of wisdom.

pilotchute
27th Jul 2014, 00:44
Spending 80k pounds and then going to work for Ryan air because no one else is hiring and you have a massive loan repayments is a situation you put yourself into.

Don't make bad choices then say its not your fault

cavortingcheetah
27th Jul 2014, 01:31
Will Ryanair make up the relevant salary packages to allow for the increase in taxation about to be levied on gross incomes thus leaving staff with an equivalent spending or saving power?

jeehaa
27th Jul 2014, 01:44
For perm contracts, maybe. For subcontractors: OF COURSE ............................. not!

Hobo
27th Jul 2014, 06:29
BlueVolta
There is always a choice..... But a lot accept the conditions of Ryanair thinking they are more clever that the others and that they will gain experience and then go for a better job.

Unfortunately by doing so they killed the whole profession.

What evidence do you have for this? Of the many FR pilots I know, nearly all are happy, do not want a 'better job' nor did they think they were 'more clever'. Like everyone else can only do, they played the cards that were on the table at the time.

In doing so, precisely how have they 'killed the whole profession'?

As Al Murdoch says:

What would you do in the same situation? Please, offer us your pearls of wisdom.

pilotchute
27th Jul 2014, 10:23
So taking a job where you pay for your own sim checks and ID cards doesn't bring down t and c's for the rest of us?

Callsign Kilo
27th Jul 2014, 13:41
pilotchute, a lot of people that I know took the job because they had to. Their previous employers went to the wall or forced redundancies. Maybe you'd sooner have these pilots out on the street than fly for Ryanair? Other guys, years with no sniff of a job, we're forced to accept an SSTR or simply forget flying commercially altogether. Don't scoff at this. I'll agree, there are a few that applied to FR before the ink was dry on their licences. Ironically enough these are the people that complain the most about the place. Like you, I have little sympathy for them.

Unfortunately Ryanair have got themselves to a size that they now have influence over the market. No one set out to erode your T&Cs and most are here out if necessity, not desire. All this :mad: about social dumping, tax evasion and spending 80K in order to sh1te all over T&Cs elsewhere is poorly informed bias by those looking for an easy target. If you really want to point the finger, go find those few who allowed MOL transform FR into what it is today.

cuallnow
27th Jul 2014, 14:05
H2Z, I empathise somewhat with your position but feel you may be missing the point. Tax is mandatory. You don't have the discretion to pick your tax liability to whom ever based on your own moral code, no matter how well intentioned you may be.
When mol announces he will base 2 aircraft someplace generating X number of jobs, he is lauded by local government. Fr has set up a system which "socially dumps" services, often on our poorest European and now North African nations. The brilliance of the scheme is that you carry the can and while he gains the commercial advantage with below market rates, you underwrite his operation.
Your going home for dentistry was commendable dragging as you were all your rubbish of the last 5 days (hand luggage was it? ). But you got to the airport on roads, if your hotel accommodation caught fire were you going to call the local lads, or sit tight and await the cavalry from home? In an emergency would you really have refused medical assistance locally and dragged your crippled carcass back home? All services were available and required paying for but FR opted you out of your social responsibility, I can of course understand yours and others rationalisation of the abuse of the system but suspect deep down you know you're being played.