PDA

View Full Version : Living in HK, working in Shenzhen

despegue
24th Jul 2014, 05:39
Hi,

My wife has an opportunity to become an expat in Hong Kong...

Would it be possible for me to commute to Shenzhen on a ( almost) daily basis? As I am 737 rated, I have opportunities in Shenzhen, not in HK...

Thanks,

D.

ZoomInAndOut
24th Jul 2014, 06:24
It is possible, but be prepared for loooong days. You can cross via the bridge, but the double immigration can be time consuming. Plus you would accumulate a LOT of stamps in your passport. I used to live in Shekou, Shenzen and a day trip to Hong Kong would mean crossing Chinese border (1 stamp), then Hong Kong border (1 stamp) and vice versa. Total 4 stamps in one day. I guess you can see how quickly you need a new passport. Other options are the ferry to Shekou or border crossing near LoHou. Then plan at least 45 min to get to SZH airport. You will be stuck in traffic very often. I would plan for AT LEAST 2 hours each way, maybe more depending on where you live in Hong Kong. I am not saying that it can't be done, just know in advance how time consuming it can be. A few ex colleagues used to do it flying long haul, so did not have so many trips per month. In your case on the B737, I would think twice about it..

de facto
24th Jul 2014, 17:25
Forget it,you wont last 1 month.

Thales Coelho
16th Nov 2015, 03:04
What about the opposit situation? Working in HK and living in Shekou, Shenzen?

Shekou seems to be cheaper than HK for a family of four to live. How can this work, about time, visa, etc.?

Thx,

Thales, from Brazil

de facto
17th Nov 2015, 07:56
Exactly as written in post 2.

mach92
17th Nov 2015, 09:01
I did that boarder crossing twice in September from HKG.

Read post #2

I shutter to think of doing it again.

Arfur Dent
17th Nov 2015, 09:21
Mach 92 - Did you mean "Border" and "Shudder"?
Yes - thought so…………:confused:

Yonosoy Marinero
17th Nov 2015, 14:12
Let's go through this again:

Yes, C scale is a crap deal.

Yes, the figure sounds big when you translate it in your local currency. But here, it means lower middle class.

No, there is no magic way around the lack of a proper housing allowance. You and your family will suffer.

Yes, you'll do it anyway because you think we're just a bunch of crusty, disgruntled, snooty and entitled old sods.

I hope the wife is not the high-maintenance type...