PDA

View Full Version : Radar Altimeter in WW2

dujedcv
22nd Jul 2014, 21:58
Can someone please give any info about the use of radar altimeters in WW2?

I know that they were employed in heavy bombers during WW2 and in smaller aircraft during the Korean War (late models F4U, F9F...), but I want to know when was it first used in combat aircraft, and some details about its use on smaller aircraft - single engined fighters and smaller twin engined aircraft like Mosquito and A/B-26 Invader. Especially Mosquito.

I am asking here because this topic seems to be very thinly covered around the Internet.

Robert Cooper
24th Jul 2014, 17:48
I believe the JU-87 used a radar altimeter for automatic bomb release and pull out during the dive bomb run.

Bob C

rotorfossil
24th Jul 2014, 18:09
The JU 87 used a barometric device to initiate the pullout as far as I know. i think night fighter Mossies may have started to use them when they were trying to combat the low flying He 111's delivering the flying bombs

oxenos
24th Jul 2014, 18:50
Early in the war, most Coastal Command aircraft were only able to detect and attack U-boats visually by day, or with a moon on clear nights.
Radar improved the situation, but night attacks were still a problem as the radar picture broke up close to the target.
The Leigh Light made it possible to keep the U-boat in sight as the range reduced, but judging height was a problem. Too low and the Depth charges could bounce, too high and they might overshoot the target.
Once the combination of radar, Leigh light and radio altimeter became available, far more night attacks were successful.

Robert Cooper
24th Jul 2014, 20:00
The Fw 190 F8 was fitted with the FuG 101 Radar Altimeter around 1943/44 I think.

Bob C