PDA

View Full Version : Problem with a UK Bank

Nervous SLF
22nd Jul 2014, 20:55
I can log in to my UK Bank account without any problems and I can do Banking stuff ok. However to see a statement I
have to click on my name but as soon as I do I get the message that Firefox 31 is not responding and that's it I get logged out.
I have tried using the internal Bank system to ask about this but because their computer refuses to recognise my NZ postcode
anymore I can't send a message to the Bank.

I have tried using I.E.9 and that won't let even me log in.

lomapaseo
22nd Jul 2014, 21:03
please post log-in details and I'm sure you will get lots of help :E

Keef
22nd Jul 2014, 22:25
Have you tried Chrome? I keep it in reserve for those sites that won't work with Firefox. I gave up with IE a long time ago.

Nervous SLF
22nd Jul 2014, 22:35
Keef thank you for suggesting Chrome but sorry to say but I have been told it's not very good. :O

Well blow me down I have just tried it again and low and behold it now works :ok:

A friend in the UK who I was just talking to said that same Bank had closed internet banking down for a day on Sunday.
I wonder if that was because lots of others had reported the same fault ?

parabellum
23rd Jul 2014, 00:11
Sometimes I think it is a cookies/security issue and is a default setting with IE that I haven't been able to change, got right through the check in procedure for a flight, hit submit and nothing happens, ever.

Like Keef I keep Chrome for these situations, it always seems to work on web sites and links that IE won't open!

Booglebox
23rd Jul 2014, 14:37
Unless you're using Vista, you should consider upgrading to IE11 :cool:

Nightstop
23rd Jul 2014, 14:50
I had a similar problem with a UK Internet Banking site when using IE.

I found that going to Internet Options/ Advanced and UNtick "Use TLS 1.2" solved the issue.

mixture
23rd Jul 2014, 16:23
I found that going to Internet Options/ Advanced and UNtick "Use TLS 1.2" solved the issue.

Hope you understood the consequences of your actions and that you reverted them to the previous setting once done ?

spannersatcx
23rd Jul 2014, 18:00
A friend in the UK who I was just talking to said that same Bank had closed internet banking down for a day on Sunday.
I wonder if that was because lots of others had reported the same fault ?
There was a planned outage with limited functionality available, both my bank and credit card had statements to this effect when logging in, it was in the early hours UK time so I guess that's why you suffered, looking at your location.

Cameronian
23rd Jul 2014, 18:48
My brother's business in the UK was required to use Chrome for his internet banking then, just a few months ago, when his cashier went to log in to pay the staff at the end of the month she was unable to do so. When asked, the bank said that Chrome was no longer acceptable due to security issues. Bro's reply was "you could have said something!".

I know that this might be a sensitive subject but don't shoot the messenger!

Keef
23rd Jul 2014, 21:29
I'm a simple soul. I use Firefox if it works, and try Chrome when it doesn't. If that fails, I try the iPad, and if that fails I get on the telephone.

I've been told several times that I should download and use Trusteer Rapport, but from all I've read that's something to avoid. When the helpdesk at one bank insisted, I asked if they wanted the business or not. I'm still with them, and don't use Rapport.

mixture
24th Jul 2014, 06:42
I'm a simple soul. I use Firefox if it works, and try Chrome when it doesn't. If that fails, I try the iPad, and if that fails I get on the telephone.

Surely the simple soul could make his life simpler if he tried Internet Exploder first, since that's what design by committee corporate morons typically standardise on ....

Ancient Observer
24th Jul 2014, 10:17
So many daft and dozy Corporates do what mixture says. It is a real pain. But no. 2 daughter, who appears (to me) to live on the internet outside work hours, continues to sing the praises of Chrome.

Keef
24th Jul 2014, 11:29
In theory, mixture, but most times Firefox has failed, Internet Exploder has failed too. Chrome has worked a few times in those circumstances.

mixture
24th Jul 2014, 11:38
So many daft and dozy Corporates do what mixture says. It is a real pain.

The one thing I probably hate more than the IE-lovers is those who insist on using Microsoft Silverlight or Java Applets.

Silverlight, for those not in the know, being Microsoft's poor attempt at gaining marketshare from Adobe Flash. Basically a project doomed to failure before it started.

As for Java Applets ... well that's soooo last century ... :cool:

I remain happy with Adobe Flash for the time being .... until HTML5 matures a bit more and is more widely and robustly implemented on the browsers.

JavaScript is a bit over-hyped and over-used, but most of the time it doesn't do anyone any harm.