PDA

View Full Version : What do you do on 1st lesson?

Rob 747
21st Nov 2001, 15:08
Does anyone know what manouvers you practice on the first Aerobatics lesson???

What is the actual lesson like? Is it a bit nausea inducing?

foghorn
21st Nov 2001, 15:55
Went on one a while ago in a DH Chippie at Shoreham...

Your first aerobatics lesson will be short - they don't want to over-exercise your stomach!

Basically we went to the training area, did a bit of GH to get used to the aircraft - steep turns etc. Then the instructor did a couple of loops as a taster and then demo'd lazy eights and had me to do a few. By which time it was time to go home.

I had no problems stomach-wise with the lesson. I want to do more aeros but have other priorities at the moment!
foggy.

[ 21 November 2001: Message edited by: foghorn ]

Rob 747
21st Nov 2001, 16:44
Over exercise your stomach

Im alright with spins and steep turns so do you think i will have any problems with it?

Did you feel sick after your lesson?? :( :confused: :(

Polar_stereographic
21st Nov 2001, 17:30
foghorn,

Was your instructor MV?

PS

Rob 747
21st Nov 2001, 17:50
Whats a 'Lazy 8'?

Is there a set height at which you can do aerobatics? ie, to be able to pull out of loop at about 2000' etc

foghorn
21st Nov 2001, 18:19
Rob 747 - I think they were called lazy eights - just side-to-side wingovers with no inverted flight - really not that difficult. I expect it's the most basic manouvre to let the student get a first taste of aeros.

To be honest the only time I've ever felt remotely queasy in an aircraft was the IF partial panel unusual attitudes that the CAAFU examiner on my CPL skills test threw at me. He had a near-vomit-inducing visual spiral dive on him as well - really quite something for this nervous exam candidate still digesting my 'full fried brekkie to settle the nerves!'

By contrast the aero lesson I did caused me no problems at all. I'm dying to do some more...

foggy.

PS - Affirm.

[ 21 November 2001: Message edited by: foghorn ]

ScottishSteve
21st Nov 2001, 18:20
I did Cuban 8, Hammerhead, Lazy 8, usual turns, rolls etc. All in an open-cockpit...and I wasn't sick.

1st lesson, dont expect it to be too long, as they dont want you pukin up!

Good luck

Steve

Rob 747
21st Nov 2001, 18:28
Cheers you lot, that sounds good to me.

Thanks for all the encouraging advice chps! :D :p :D