PDA

View Full Version : Epilepsy

david 3354
25th May 2002, 01:40
Like everybody i've always wanted to fly for an airline.
I'm 21, will graduate this year and in a good position for a loan with HSBC.
Snag is when I was 8 was hospitalised in a coma (after being very ill for a week or so with high temp) with suspected encephalitis, was discharged and took anticonvulsants for 1 month then nothing. 1 year later similar thing happened, was reported as fitting. Took a diff drug for another 2 years. Nothing has happened since then i.e. 13 years and have taken no drugs for at least 10 years. I have never walked down the street and had a fit, basically only on the second occasion was fitting mentioned and both times in hospital was after severe viral type infection.
I have spoken to CAA Gatwick and they said I may be OK.
However after reviewing my record I am extremely worried and cant stand the thought of not getting a class 1 medical. Or worse getting it and not ever getting a job.

I would greatly appreciate any advice or experiences.

xyz_pilot
25th May 2002, 08:38
Hi

In my opinion the best thing you can do is go to Gatwick, pay the money and take a class 1.

Dont worry about the unknown when you can find out the truth.

Good luck

PeteB
25th May 2002, 16:40
I second that advice - with a class one they'll do a full EEG (brain activity scan).
One of the things it will pick up is any risk of epilepsy occuring. It's the best way of finding out for sure. I don't think that they would rely solely on your past medical history to determine your risk of epilepsy! Good Luck!

david 3354
28th May 2002, 00:30
is that all the advice available?
anything from an AME?

PeteB
28th May 2002, 01:10
If the above advice really doesn't help you, you could always try giving an AME a call yourself! I'm pretty sure they'd answer any questions you may have, and I'm sure you could even call them anonomously if you're that worried about it...
Bottom line is, if you're prone to epilepsy, they'll find out in the initial class one exam and you won't be able to hold a class one medical. If you haven't got epilepsy they won't find it and you will be able to hold a class one.... clear as mud?

david 3354
28th May 2002, 08:43
Thanks.
My worry is that i'm not prone to epilepsy but they'll be prejudiced because I took drugs 11 years ago. If I was prone i'd understand of course and not even want a class 1.

Theyll find out from my GP wont they?

xyz_pilot
28th May 2002, 12:05
Hi

Not sure if they will find out from your GP

BUT DO NOT LIE

If you lie on the CAA form and in the future they find out

1. They will pull your class 1

2. You will get the sack

3. The airline may well sue for costs

4. You may get a criminal record.

So go to the CAA explain the situation and take a class 1

DASF CIC
29th May 2002, 15:31
Don't want to get anybody worried, but unfortunatly the EEG does not give a clear picture on Epilepsy. eventhough the JAA would like you to believe it does.
There are currently several law-suits going on about this subject. Bottom line, according to one set of experts you can make assumptions on getting epilepsy on the base of an EEG, but the majoraty of experts disagrees, unfortunatly for us they do not make the rules on this one.

Even the experts that say that you can make assumptions on a EEG, have agreed that there are people who will get epilepsy eventough their EEg is "clean and there are those who will not get epilepsy and who have a "dirty" EEG.

One word of advise before taking a EEG make sure you are awake alert and not tired. I didn't and I'm paying dearly for it.

Good Luck and keep us posted

david 3354
31st May 2002, 09:40
Thanks for all the advice.
Q: I know i'll have to tell all my history but should I get all the notes from everywhere in case the CAA get them and they are incorrect. Basically will they ask for my consent to get my notes?
I cant imagine they wouldn't.

bertha
5th Jun 2002, 15:01
Hi david,
I was a line pilot for a major UK carrier, when I was diagnosed with a brain tumour. I have made a full recovery, but as a result of seizures I suffered during my illness and treatment my class 1 was pulled. I am in the process of having my medical reinstated. I have a fight on my hands! If you would like to discuss your options privately, I think I can give you some sound advice. Email me at [email protected].

cheers
bertha