PDA

View Full Version : DH Dragonfly over Stratford, E.London.

Kieron Kirk
20th Jul 2014, 13:15
I was standing outside Stratford station this morning at about 12.13 when a DH Dragonfly flew across in a N-S direction.

Any thoughts?

Ciarain.

treadigraph
20th Jul 2014, 14:39
G-AEDU, the red one. Saw it taking off from Biggin a few weeks ago.

'EDT lives in New Zealand now.

Lovely piece of kit!

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
20th Jul 2014, 17:46
Is the one in NZ ZK-AYR by any chance? Saw that at Omaka in 2007. Great aeroplane.

treadigraph
20th Jul 2014, 18:17
Must be HD, so far as I know there are just the two survivors.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
20th Jul 2014, 19:56
OK, Many thanks.

http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a610/brendan_mccartney/Aircraft/ZKAYR_zpsb22634fe.jpg

treadigraph
20th Jul 2014, 19:58
That's it, the blue one! A Gentleman's Aerial Carriage and no mistake!

SpringHeeledJack
20th Jul 2014, 20:07
Isn't the Dragonfly owned by Air Atlantique or some such heritage company and used for pleasure flights ? I saw it a couple of summers ago and could've sworn that it was also blue like the NZ one, except it was all blue.

SHJ

treadigraph
20th Jul 2014, 20:14
'EDU is owned by Torquil Norman. I think Martin Barraclough owned 'EDT when it was in the UK.

Air Atlantique have a blue Dragon Rapide (they have two more!) which I enjoyed a trip in from Shoreham a couple of years ago. Can't remember the reg!

SpringHeeledJack
20th Jul 2014, 20:29
Thanks, as always mr treadigraph, your knowledge outstrips mine and I don't know my Dragonflys from my Dragon Rapides :O Both though are very beautiful.

SHJ

Kieron Kirk
21st Jul 2014, 07:13
Gentlemen, thank you for your contributions.

Fine photo of ZK-AYR, which I saw flying at Mandeville in 1999. Just a year later at the Biggin Hill Air Fair, G-AEDU arrived.

From my memory, many sightings of G-ANYK at Gatwick operated by Metropolitan Air Movements which sadly crash landed at La Baule, France on 22nd June 1961.

Looking at three view drawings of Dragon Rapide and Dragonfly, I am certain it was a Dragonfly.

Ciarain.

WHBM
21st Jul 2014, 08:59
I'll just add that the Dragon Rapide is a regular performer overhead at exactly the same point, and at the same time, as originally posted. One based in Duxford tends to operate a sightseeing flight that comes down, past Stratford and overhead the London City NDB, then turning west along the river over Central London, and returning direct. Saturday and Sunday early lunchtime is exactly when it often goes over me at I would guess about 2,000 feet, they must leave Duxford shortly after 11.30. The approach of that little Gipsy Six puttering noise, at I would again guess no more than 90 knots, always gets me out in the back garden watching it pass. It's been doing this for many years now.

bean
21st Jul 2014, 09:33
de Havilland DH.90 Dragonfly - Large Preview - AirTeamImages.com (http://www.airteamimages.com/de-havilland-dragonfly_G-ANYK_-private_99389_large.html)
Colour photograph of G-ANYK

joy ride
21st Jul 2014, 10:38
The Air Atlantique/Duxford flights usually go over my yard, then turn back to pass slightly North of it . The distinctive sound alerts me to their approach long before they come in and I often go out to have a look.

Mike51
21st Jul 2014, 13:29
There was a Rapide, presumably out of Duxford, overhead the IWM in Lambeth as I was queuing to get in sometime after noon. Given the timing and proximity to Stratford I suspect that is what you saw.

VictorGolf
21st Jul 2014, 14:13
In the interests of accuracy, it is Classic Wings that operates the London flight from Duxford not Air Atlantique. Subject to bookings it does indeed operate on Saturdays and Sundays in the season. On the subject of Dragonflies I managed a flight in the UK one at a Tiger Club charity day at Old Warden some years back. Very good value at £50 and it is a super tourer.

Planemike
21st Jul 2014, 18:25
I believe the aircraft (G-AEDU) is currently being offered for sale. Really do hope that it stays in the UK.

Planemike

treadigraph
21st Jul 2014, 20:20
Me too Planemike.

surely not
21st Jul 2014, 21:42
Time to do the Euro Lottery again!! I think that it would be a real shame if it was to leave the UK. It's bad enough not having an airworthy Mossie over here, to lose this would be careless.

Perhaps add a Beech D17 Staggerwing as a stable mate. Then I just need to find people to fly them!

treadigraph
22nd Jul 2014, 06:07
If you win the Euro Lottery SN, I'll fly 'em for you. 'Course, you'll have to pay for me to learn to fly first... On a Tiger Moth of course!

(PS, all four of the Spitfire Mk1s now flying are apparently for sale!)

surely not
22nd Jul 2014, 19:39
Perhaps a reduced rate can be negotiated if I also learnt to fly Tredders..... we could fly in formation once we had passed the PPL :D

Mike51
23rd Jul 2014, 10:46
VictorGolf,

In the interests of accuracy it was the DH Moth Club, not the Tiger Club, who operated the Charity Flying Days out of OW. I too invested £50 in a trip in the lovely Dragonfly a decade or so back. :)

VictorGolf
24th Jul 2014, 16:42
Quite right Mike. Henri Labouchere flying it?

Mike51
25th Jul 2014, 11:09
It was indeed. A most enjoyable 20 minutes or so.

diddy1234
26th Jul 2014, 08:11
I wouldn't be surprised if it's related to filming the new dambusters film.

Over Duxford yesterday there were two dragon rapide's flying with a spitfire too.
They performed multiple fly pasts the village I work at

VictorGolf
28th Jul 2014, 14:51
diddy, the two Rapides were the Classic Wings aircraft carrying out the "Wing to Wing witn a Spitfire" event with Spitfire MH434, which is described on their website. And very good it is too.

chevvron
28th Jul 2014, 14:54
Shirley doesn't 'bookworm' do these pleasure flights?