PDA

View Full Version : Maneuvers online ...

RW-1
24th May 2002, 19:46
Hi all,

As I had pages covering aerodynamics, I finally got off my butt
(Translation: got commercial and sacrificed .5 robbie time to get a scanner :) )

and created helicopter flight maneuvers pages on the website:

http://www.dynamicflight.com/flight_maneuvers/

They are from the Rotorcraft Flying Handbook, and I have a few more to add, but I believe it is the only one from that book available online, please check it out!

Thanks.

zhishengji751
25th May 2002, 12:52
Thanks!
Thats great stuff to have online.

It would be great if at the bottom of each page, it had a link to the next section, instead of having to go back to the main/contents page.

Nick Lappos
25th May 2002, 13:54
RW-1,
Thanks for the work you have done. I will refer to your pages often!

A note for all is that this handbook is not fully correct in many areas, it is a general guide and that's all. Generally, more authoritative techniques are available through the manufacturer of your machine, or from other sources.

A simple example: In the max performance takeoff, they recommend the old constant attitude technique, which is fine if you have the power to muscle up to the almost OGE departure above the barriers. For performance limited helos, a ground cushion technique is much more effective, where you race in low IGE toward the obstacle and pop up to a climb attitude at the higher speed that permits a better climb. This technique is much like the Cat A airport procedures in most twin flight manuals. It is identical in concept to a soft field landing, where IGE power savings are used to get you toward Vy.

It would be fun to annotate the handbook with such edits, and have the pprune group make comments for a more complete undersanding of the ins and outs of helo-ing!

Anyway, thanks for doing the service, RW-1

Nick

Heliport
25th May 2002, 18:08
Thanks for all your hard work RW-1.
Very useful to have this online.

Nick, what an excellent idea!
I wonder who would be the ideal person to put it into action?
It needs somebody to co-ordinate the topics and discussion.
Ideally it should be someone who's not only got enormous experience as a pilot, but also has the necessary technical knowledge of helicopter performance.
And, just as important, someone who has the ability to communicate in a way which is understandable not only to the other experts on Rotorheads, but to those a little lower down the scale but interested in learning more.

I hope somebody volunteers! ;)

Dave Jackson
25th May 2002, 20:47
RW-1

Which chapter covers this Very Dynamic Flight Maneuver? :eek:

http://www.unicopter.com/Vertical_Speed.gif
http://www.unicopter.com/compass.gif

It looks like severe PIO with a new twist. :D :D

PS. Have added a link on my site to yours.

Hoverman,

To anticipate your request, even before you ask it :), Heliport asked for those with" enormous experience as a pilot". Lu and I are only qualified as 'back seat drivers'. ;)

Dave

Hoverman
25th May 2002, 20:53
Nick Lappos
Pleeeeeeze volunteer before DJ or Lu does! :D

SASless
26th May 2002, 16:54
Nick,

Reckon this might become a divided court so to speak? Reckon we could get by with only a few hundred dissents from whatever court opinion was published? Lordy, then we would have to accomodate the translations into TeaSpeak, Cajunuhhuh, along with all the other dialects spoken by the helicopter pilots of the world! Sally forth there Nick...you and Shawn for the hands on, Lu for the technical speak....throw in a side note from Sousa and wha-la....a definitive tome on the subject!

RW-1
28th May 2002, 16:40
Thanks to all who responded, both here and by email, or leaving a guestbook entry.

zhishengji751, I had planned on that, giving a next page and previous page link, however in the format I used to layout the site, it became impractible to code, as on occasion I change the layout of the order of the links. I tested with some dial up users I know, and the reload times going back to the index, etc wasn't that bad, I may redo that however in the future or when I'm satisfied that I'm not going to change the order of the pages, etc.
I do note your wish however and will keep it in mind.

[Edited to say: Well I went ahead and coded that onto the aerodynamics pages :) will get around to the flight maneuvers pages soon.]

On another line, I had planned on making terms that appear in a page topic link to the topic itself elsewhere. for example, in steep approachs, we talk about avoiding settling with power, nice to link it in that manner as well, but boy, you can go crazy linking all over the place, so ... it stayed somewhat basic. I do like however the response of the look and having the content online, so I will continue to be expanding it.

Thanks Nick, for your comments.

Yes, that is in interesting idea, those of you out there are the ones who can ensure the gouge placed there is up to date, opionions differ, but as new things are learned, dissemination waiting on the govt printing office can be slow. I hope to be quicker hehe.

If you guys want to toss around some ideas and then submit to me a few paragraphs on topics posted already, (and if I can find time to add them) I could be up for such stuff. Would only make the pages that much better to get real world additions from those who are there.