PDA

View Full Version : Boeing spoils Farnborough 2014 Air Show for Everybody Else

VH-Cheer Up
17th Jul 2014, 02:00
Apparently a few people miffed by the aerobatics display conducted with the 787-9 at Farnborough, "Dreamliner Extreme Moves Ruffle Feathers", according to the SMAge (http://media.theage.com.au/travel/travel-news/dreamliners-extreme-move-ruffles-feathers-5602080.html):

Now everyone else has been told to turn it down.

"Stick to rate one in the circuit, be a good chap! Be a good Nigel and keep it shiny side up."

500N
17th Jul 2014, 02:02
I just watched that a couple of minutes ago.

"prompting one stomach-turning maneuver to be banned."

Which maneuver ruffled feathers ?

Edit
It seems that there are two articles and two videos, I had watched the "short" version.
that didn't include the take off.

VH-Cheer Up
17th Jul 2014, 02:19
Touch and go according to the article. I would have thought the right jink immediately after take-off (from the T&G) would have been the target for finger pointing. Looking at that stbd wingtip, it was like a windy day approaching the touchdown zone on 16R at YSSY... Plenty of potential for a scraped pod or wingtip.

das Uber Soldat
17th Jul 2014, 02:26
bit strange considering I watched their practice from the day before, which also included this maneuver. Nobody said anything about it then?

empacher48
17th Jul 2014, 02:35
I've seen worse in Dunedin in a good westerly. A late go around, touch of mains and a gust at the wrong moment.

A37575
17th Jul 2014, 02:54
Apparently a few people miffed by the aerobatics display conducted with the 787-9 at Farnborough

See Pprune Tech Log forum under heading "That's no way to Treat a lady".
Seems someone else was taken aback by the manoeuvres, too. Must say it was a heart stopper for the oldies watching:eek:

Captain Gidday
17th Jul 2014, 04:21
Bring back Tex and the barrel roll (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaA7kPfC5Hk)

Wusses!

BTW Cheer Up, the shiny side traditionally stays on the bottom, in airline service.

VH-Cheer Up
17th Jul 2014, 04:40
Sorry Captain. In GA, the shiny side is on top. The muddy side points (mostly) towards the wide brown land.

TBM-Legend
17th Jul 2014, 04:45
I love it. The Bus drivers don't like competition methinks....

It is after all a handling display...:D

Instead of strawberries and cream it's sour grapes!

VH-Cheer Up
17th Jul 2014, 05:00
Instead of strawberries and cream it's sour grapes!:D

That's the difference between Farnborough and Wimbledon. Or Surrey and Hants.

Hempy
17th Jul 2014, 06:39
You could comfortably say that if the touch and go continued on rwy hdg til 500' there wouldn't be a stink. I have to say, the first image into my head when I saw that video was Hollands B-52 stalling off it's 90• aob down to a firey end, but I suppose thats a bit dramatic.

waren9
17th Jul 2014, 07:44
to me, the right hand stab looked closer to the ground than the wingtip.

either way, i thought it looked well judged. dont see the problem myself. be great to be there.

Wally Mk2
17th Jul 2014, 08:33
This event still shows that humans are in charge, not the computers:-)

It's good to see that whilst the anti-fun police reign in the world these days that someone brings just a touch of normality & excitement to the masses, makes you feel you are alive:ok:

It's all about risk these days, everything we do everything we invent from a toothbrush to a modern day jet liner has had some sort of risk assessment applied.

Wmk2

Led Zep
17th Jul 2014, 08:37
The A350 would probably have continued on straight ahead, and chopped some trees at the end of the runway anyway. :\:ok::E:oh::D:=:}

Checklist Charlie
17th Jul 2014, 08:52
I dare say the whole demonstration flight would have been formulated, practised and refined in the Simulator well before anybody got into the aeroplane and did it for real.

CC:)

underfire
17th Jul 2014, 09:08
Practice or not, that hard over right turn with wheels barely off the ground was a bit unnecessary....

tartare
17th Jul 2014, 09:24
What drivel.
It would have been practised to death in the sim.
There's no way the big easy would have allowed their prize jet to be chucked around by some cowboy (god rest dear Tex's soul).
A combination of misleading camera angles and a media beat up I say.
And at the end of the day - it is a jet.
Even at that size, they can do pretty spectacular things, when one doesn't have to worry about bank angles and spilled coffee.

Lord Spandex Masher
17th Jul 2014, 09:44
Practice or not, that hard over right turn with wheels barely off the ground was a bit unnecessary....

If you put it like that then the whole airshow is pretty unnecessary isn't it?

Australopithecus
17th Jul 2014, 09:48
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GZRKm6PG918

Wally Mk2
17th Jul 2014, 11:10
That's a bloody great vid:ok: Amazing, we are watching aviation at it's most developed stage, I only wish I could be around when the next 100 yrs rolls by:ok:

I hear now that the A380 has cabin door leak issues, just saw it on the news. Christ who'd wanna be in on the plane design/making game~:-(

Wmk2

aroa
17th Jul 2014, 11:37
Hope there wasnt a cockpit video view of all that, hand held iphone... CAsA would have cancelled his licence on the spot and put him out of a job a la J Quadrio.

So it handles like an F-787. No coloured smoke or a "cobra manoeuvre" so it was toned down a bit..!!

Those that have a prob with that should stay home in bed. Dangerous world out there.!

Nobody fainted yonks ago when a Vulcan bomber took off and rolled on climb out. :ok: And the noise of 4 x Olympus on afterburner was rib busting !
But outdone by 9 EE Lightnings in stream take off and 85 degree climb..18 x on burner...was positively earthquaking. They went up and out of sight like God pulling a string of beads into heaven. :ok::ok:
Aah ..the good old days.

nitpicker330
17th Jul 2014, 13:40
aroa-----love your description of the Lightenings :ok: gold

Scuffers
17th Jul 2014, 15:46
Since when has the Vulcan's engines got afterburners? (are you thinking Concorde?)

Ex FSO GRIFFO
17th Jul 2014, 15:52
Practised not only in the 'Sim', but also here in de 'real life'.....

Enjoy, and watch the go-around at 1.57min or so.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZRKm6PG918

Looks N I C E .....:ok:

Phalconphixer
17th Jul 2014, 17:53
Didnt Airbus and TAP already set the standard back in 2007?

TAP Airbus A310 Low Pass Turn - Portugal Airshow 2007, Evora (Uncut HD Version) - YouTube

Capetonian
17th Jul 2014, 18:02
igF1X48ddWA
The best, I think.
Darryl Tarr is the son of the late, great Wrex Tarr.

mudpig
17th Jul 2014, 21:32
I think the sticklers saw in the touch and go maneuver that it exceeded 15º AOB and was lower than 50ft in the turn.:ok:

Captain Gidday
17th Jul 2014, 23:29
Sorry Captain. In GA, the shiny side is on top. The muddy side points (mostly) towards the wide brown land.

No need to apologise Cheer Up. You are correct. That's how the expression went in GA when I think back. In these days of fully painted aircraft, due to the composites, there is no shiny side anyway, but back in the day....

Shiny side down.

http://www.douglasdc3.com/qantas/qantas2.jpg

VH-Cheer Up
17th Jul 2014, 23:34
Captain G, trust the painters to try to confuse the pilots.

In those days the steam driven AHI didn't have blue and brown paint on it either... Things were just black and white. Sigh...

Old Fella
18th Jul 2014, 03:57
The B787-9 demonstration was impressive, but for those who think it was "over the top" take time to go to the link and watch the "displays" at Birmingham.

Watch These Seat Soiling Crosswind Operations From Birmingham, England (http://flightclub.jalopnik.com/watch-these-seat-soiling-crosswind-operations-from-birm-1541878105/+flyingphotog)

underfire
18th Jul 2014, 04:03
forget roll authority...how about SAM 7 avoidance!

Oakape
18th Jul 2014, 05:54
Boeing didn't spoil anything. The blame lies elsewhere.

fireflybob
18th Jul 2014, 06:20
The turn after the touch and go looked like a normal departure from Funchal - "initiate a turn, not later than gear retraction" or leaving Belfast City to the south west during the troubles!

Really the display committee should grow some b***s and tell the whiners where to go.

Oakape
18th Jul 2014, 06:38
Some pretty poor x-wind techniques in the Birmingham video. Have people forgotten what ailerons are for?

18th Jul 2014, 07:21
In those days the steam driven AHI didn't have blue and brown paint on it either.

The AH I saw on a VC10 back in the 70s was upside down!!

pianokeys
20th Jul 2014, 07:30
I don't know what the problem was I thought displaying an aircraft at an Air show was to display the aircrafts performance. Good on you Boeing a great display. Sounds like Airbus could not match this. If Airbus tried this the Aircraft would probably have Crashed. The last person who tried to demonstrate a Boeing and put it through its paces got in trouble with the chief that was the B707.

TWT
20th Jul 2014, 08:22
Last person in trouble was the captain of a CX 777 doing a low pass at Seattle on a delivery flight.

Ollie Onion
20th Jul 2014, 08:30
Amateurs compared to:

Boeing 707 Barrel Roll - Pilot Tex Johnston Performs Roll In Dash-80 Prototype Aircraft In 1955 - YouTube (http://youtu.be/AaA7kPfC5Hk)

Helol
20th Jul 2014, 08:30
Due to the MH017 crash, Boeing didn't display their aircraft on the Friday.

500N
20th Jul 2014, 08:58
That is one hell of a piece of video of Tex barrel rolling that aircraft.
Thanks for posting, I haven't seen that in years.

Molokai
20th Jul 2014, 13:02
Fail them on crosswind landings? See this thread : http://www.pprune.org/flying-instructors-examiners/539955-would-you-fail-these-blokes-who-landed-manner-shown-video.html

clunckdriver
20th Jul 2014, 13:18
Maybe Airbus should try the "Toulouse Tree Trimmer" again if they want media coverage. Dear Lord, how can any knowledgeable person find fault with this display ? Sounds like sour grapes from Airbus stirring things up , maybe they should remove the bank angle limits from their software if they want to keep up with Boeing!

Armchairflyer
20th Jul 2014, 21:03
Amateur question: is the assertion "if the wing hits the ground, it's over" in the video always and unconditionally correct? I have often wondered (for light airplanes, too), whether even a light contact of a wingtip with the ground (assuming a smooth surface like normal tarmac) results in cartwheeling and crashing or whether it would just scrape along (and probably suffer some damage). In the few YT videos where a wingtip is used to pick up a handkerchief, I cannot judge whether the tip really makes ground contact or not.

babotika
20th Jul 2014, 21:57
I'm fairly confident airbus normal law would have allowed all the manoeuvres the 787 did, probably make them easier to perform actually. The H&S executive & S.O.P. police on the other hand...

67° bank, +30° / -15° pitch goes a long long way. And there is always alternate law :E

Dusty_B
20th Jul 2014, 23:06
Every display at Farnborough (and Fairford) have to be pre-approved (unique in the UK). At Farnborough it is because of the proximity to the Class A TMA and, quite probably, to prevent things like this happening with manufacturers pushing the limits. When the commentator seamed surprised by the TnG, so was I! If the committee had reservations after this manoeuvre, it was because it wasn't demonstrated (in that form) during the validation - and therefore they had every right to slap wrists.

However, I doubt Airbus had anything to worry about from the Boeing display, as their package had blown the crowds away long before the 787-900 had taken to the skies. The A380 display has been the one to beat for many years, and nothing else (except maybe the Vulcan for the opposite end of the noise spectrum) came close during the trade week.

Brian Abraham
21st Jul 2014, 00:47
Amateurs compared to:

Boeing 707 Barrel Roll - Pilot Tex Johnston Performs Roll In Dash-80 Prototype Aircraft In 1955 - YouTubeAnd the Concorde was barrel rolled on two occasions.

parabellum
21st Jul 2014, 01:24
The A380 display has been the one to beat for many years

A very disputable point of view!