PDA

View Full Version : ATPL theory exams : which country ?

C152fan
16th Jul 2014, 14:16
Hi,

I am from France and currently doing ATPL training (distance learning) at CATS UK.

After this and some time buiding, I am thinking about doing the CPL IR in Poland.

So here comes my question: should I do my ATPL theory exams in Poland directly?
I would save about 1000€ in exam fees compared to UK, or 750€ compared to France.
Given they all are EASA countries, I guess it will make no difference at the end?

Any thoughts?

Thank you for your help!

paco
16th Jul 2014, 17:26
None at all - we have had several students doing that

Mr.JK
16th Jul 2014, 19:36
Wow, does it really cost more than 1000 € to do theoretical ATPL exams in UK? You just do a bunch of tests on a computer. There isn't even an examiner like with practical exams. Costs around 35 € here in Czech Republic.

How much do then practical exams cost in UK or France? (CPL, MEP/IR etc.)

RichardH
16th Jul 2014, 20:01
That's why CAA stands for Cash Again & Again!

Transsonic2000
16th Jul 2014, 22:17
currently doing ATPL training (distance learning) at CATS UK.

question: should I do my ATPL theory exams in Poland directly?

all are EASA countries, I guess it will make no difference at the end?None at all - we have had several students doing that Now that's something new to me! I mean I was aware that one can do the theoretical exam in one country and the skills test in another, as long as both are EASA members. But I always thought that you have to take the theoretical exams in the same country in which your (distance learning = DL) provider resides, since the provider will be doing the scheduling for the exams with the respective aviation authority.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. For instance, it's possible to do the DL course in Switzerland, and sit the exams in Austria (or Poland) or does it depend on the cooperation of the DL course provider (flight school)? And how does it work, do I just tell my DL provider, I'd like to sit the exams in e.g. Austria and he'll do the scheduling for me? Are there any delays in scheduling the exams or in the issuance of the license?

paco
17th Jul 2014, 04:26
We leave students to arrange their own exams, but they have been taken in Finland, Sweden , Denmark, Iceland, Poland, Ireland, Germany plus a couple of others, based on our DL provision. As far as I am aware, the countries concerned have not had to recognise us especially, they have just accepted our approval certificate.

Transsonic2000
17th Jul 2014, 12:10
Thanks!

I'll talk with my flight school and see what they say.