PDA

View Full Version : Qantas Sale Act minor revisions

Australopithecus
15th Jul 2014, 14:05
Qantas to remain Australian as Coalition and Labor agree to limit increase in foreign ownership (http://www.theage.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/qantas-to-remain-australian-as-coalition-and-labor-agree-to-limit-increase-in-foreign-ownership-20140715-3bz93.html)

The Senate is apparently poised to vote on minor amendments to the Qantas Sale Act, allowing a change to single shareholder portion from 35% to 49%.:cool:

The measure also falls well short of allowing majority of the shares to be held offshore, a measure reported to be sought by Qantas management, despite flying in the face of every bilateral air service agreement to which it, as an Australian flag carrier, is a party.

This is a great example of government ass-covering; a few man-years worth of dicking around which will yield no real or imagined change to the airline's ownership, board, results or future. It will however facilitate easing the pent up demand for the shares which so far has manifested itself in, let's see now...oh yeah! a weak volume of shares and a falling share price. (Which, for the sarcasm impaired, means that there is NO demand for shares under the current board or management.)

XPT
16th Jul 2014, 05:09
yep there's absolutely no demand for shares, with current staff & wage levels at QF. The sooner QF INT shuts down the better & we can stop all kidding ourselves it's management or boards fault.

In the real world, Qantas staff get paid up to 10 times what many Asian workers doing far more get.

On international routes, QF could use all Asian crews. The unions would scream, strikes would happen, which would only end QF INT sooner rather than later.

Iron Bar
16th Jul 2014, 05:56
For Grud's sake PISS OFF!

nitpicker330
16th Jul 2014, 05:59
XPT ------back on your train mate. I fly for an Asian Carrier named as Airline of the Year and I can tell you I get roughly similar pay to my QF counterpart.
10x?? Year right :D

Go away Alan. :=

Oh and Alan Joyce gets paid heaps more than my CEO. So maybe cuts should start from the top down?:ok:

newsensation
16th Jul 2014, 06:42
Another one added to the ignore list

Captain Dart
16th Jul 2014, 08:20
Just being devil's advocate, Nit: your Asian FO, SO and the local engineers are not on anything like a grandfathered expat or QANTAS package. The CEO is Asian. The conditions that most of our current non-local SOs, many of them Australian, have joined on can only be described as 'appalling' (but they're in a big, shiny jet!). In the Airline of the Year, we expats are now just a necessary evil, to be eventually replaced with cheaper labour.

That is what those in the Land of the Long Weekend are up against, and I wish them luck.

FLGOFF
16th Jul 2014, 10:28
Get this government out ASAP. They would happily see Qantas go, they couldn't care less, in their opinion, if it's not profitible, it deserves to go. At least Albanese was supportive of government backing of Qantas.

I also agree with Nick Xenophon's call for a review into Qantas management.