PDA

View Full Version : How Air NZ beat Qantas

Ollie Onion
14th Jul 2014, 08:47
Quite an interesting article:

How Air NZ fought off Qantas - travel | Stuff.co.nz (http://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/10264771/How-Air-NZ-fought-off-Qantas)

thorn bird
14th Jul 2014, 09:22
Of course it should also be acknowledged NZ, some time ago recognised their Aviation regulator was imposing unnecessary costs on its industry and restructured.

Only took them a couple of years and a few million and bingo! world class regulation, the envy of the world, so much so, that many in our region and elsewhere want to adopt the same regulations. We on the other hand, are too arrogant to accept those Kiwi lot across the ditch were much good for anything but flogging us at rugby.

Us on the other hand, to protect the bailiwick of one or two Bureaucrats, we spent over a quarter of a BILLION dollars and we still have not completed the so called "Reform" project our regulator was charged by the government to complete.

It is no surprise NZ is roaring ahead of Australia, their government has control of their bureaucrats, whereas in OZ the bureaucrats have control of the government.

The cost burden of overregulation in Australian Aviation is unsustainable, NZ is the perfect example of what can happen when the Yoke of regulation is rationalised, and not just in Aviation.

dch63
14th Jul 2014, 09:28
Very true! I have thought of writing a paper on the 'coincidence' of Air NZ profitability and NZ reg reform... Australia is seriously restricted by red tape!!!

neville_nobody
14th Jul 2014, 09:56
Well I am sure that Senator Leyonhjelm will be more than happy to assist in that endeavour, maybe he should be lobbied.

plasticmerc
14th Jul 2014, 11:16
I think you will find ANZ didn't give up, they had set backs but unlike QF they worked their way around it.
Instead of taking a cash from Boeing they took winglets and carried out a fleet modernization.
New ife for the old 767's a re jig of the 320's.
They confirged the 737-3 in a certain way but when pax complained it was changed back very quickly.
They (ANZ) stayed dynamic what did QF do when the 787 and 380 got delayed?
ANZ have a history of listening to all its customers not just the ones in the chairmans lounge!
Treat people valuable and they will come back.
KIORA welcome as a friend. the ANZ motto.

Whats QFs?
Get in sit down and thank your lucky stars your on board a QF machine and not J*?

thorn bird
14th Jul 2014, 11:26
Customers!!!
Qantas treats customers with the same contempt CAsA treats the industry,
We know best, you know nothing.
Pay up and shut up!!
Punters pay a premium for Qantas because they believe the rhetoric of the safest, when in reality they are the luckiest.
Luck has a nasty habit of running out!

SOPS
14th Jul 2014, 11:40
That article says is all really.....

almostthere!
14th Jul 2014, 13:10
Pretty sure they gave up, they were bailed out by the NZ government of the day. Something that the present QF management is being hammered for, for even asking for (which I agree with) but let's not let that get in the way of a good QF beat up....

Eastwest Loco
14th Jul 2014, 13:53
My clients just love the NZ Business Class and Premium Y product, however the reservations system is a nightmare on Trans Tasman.

If you are booking a client on shark patrol who wants the "premium" product which is the front 2 rows of the 320 with the middle seat blocked out you would use Q class.

Small problem - Q class is also used for a class of travel down the back so to the unwary you can sell the premium class, confirm and quote it and then when you go to ticket it find that it is unavailable as all the "Q" seats up front have been sold.

I got caught on this - once.

One has to force the fare basis in on all bookings apart from seat only. Amateur.

The Trans Tasman fare structure is obviously due to competition with LCCs but has been an obvious product of over eager management trainees as it is not friendly to what is still the source of the majority of their bookings - the Travel Agency sector. Nuff nuffs with a plastic crew member outside the office would find it fairly difficult to get their heads around but they don't issue tickets themselves do they? Some poor dude in Brisbane has to pick up the pieces.

A big negative NZ.

Your product delivery is way above the quality of the reservations system.

I don't need the phone call I have to make to Agency just to check if the availability is correct on a zero commission sector.

Best all

EWL

jet1st
18th Jul 2014, 00:24
isn't NZ still something like 87% govt owned since the bailup that saved them from going under ?

Nothing like going broke to make you get your act together.

When QF INT goes under, QF might get it's act together too.

Boe787
18th Jul 2014, 02:01
agree with Jet1st, nothing like going broke to get your act together, extract major wage concessions from your employees and off you go!!
SAS did the same, nearly bankrupt, threatened to close the airline unless staff gave major wage concessions!
I think Finnair Iberia etc have tried/done the same, and of course in USA you just go into chapter 11, and wipe out staff pension funds, and extract wage concessions, and re-emerge from Chapter 11 with much lower costs!