PDA

View Full Version : RIAT 2014

SpringHeeledJack
13th Jul 2014, 18:36
Didi anyone go this time, and if so what did you think of it ?

I enjoyed the experience, but found the flying programme pretty anaemic even compared with the last 2-3 years. I enjoyed the F16's, F18's, Typhoons, Tornados and Gripen whizzing loudly around the sky, the A400 the BBMF and various display teams doing their best to make difficult look easy. The static was ok, a few unusual types amidst the same same, but any that had open doors were staffed by friendly and helpful crew. Amazingly there were 3!!! USAF/USN in the static park, after the dearth of participants the last few years after the 'golden years' when the show seemed to be nothing but USAF.

SHJ

63000 Triple Zilch
13th Jul 2014, 18:57
I was quite disappointed at the lack of variety this year at the RIAT. Although the F35 which was undoubtedly meant to be the star of the show had to be withdrawn, what was left was nowhere near the levels of previous years. Had it not been for the Italians and Swiss, 10 displays between them, it would have all been finished by mid afternoon. The lack of US airframes is now a fact of life, but there was very little participation from front line RAF aircraft, the Typhoon was about the only flying item. Hopefully next year will see an improvement

Windy Militant
13th Jul 2014, 21:13
I quite enjoyed it apart from the drizzle this morning.
Thought the Polish team the Orliks were good, but then that's me.
Two things I have noticed, first, I wish they would bring back the deck chairs to the viewing village the garden chairs give me a stiff neck.
Secondly when it was the jubilee garden it was mostly enthusiasts, that watched the aircraft until the end of the display.
I've noticed this year that there were numbers of family groups that turned up and immediately circled the wagons so to speak, by rearranging the chairs into circles. They then proceed to talk amongst them selves, wander about, anything but watch the aircraft. The bunch along from me even carried on doing this when the Red arrows were doing their stuff. It makes me wander why they spent the money on tickets when they could have done the same thing in their local pub at far less expense. Still every penny helps the Benevolent fund. Then most of them left after the Arrows, which meant the enclosure was nearly empty by four o'clock! :confused:

SpringHeeledJack
14th Jul 2014, 11:37
Yes, that's true, there seemed to be loads of people seemingly uninterested in the flying even when something loud and fast was flying….:zzz: With the cost of travel, entry, anything, not inconsiderable, why anyone not interested in aviation would want to be there is puzzling in the extreme.

SHJ

ZOOKER
14th Jul 2014, 20:58
I wonder how many of the 'zero-interest' club were there on complementary/corporate-hospitality freebie tickets?