PDA

View Full Version : Gloomy Sundays...

Cacophonix
13th Jul 2014, 06:13
Well Sunday has dawned, not quite as gloomily as the Billy Holliday song, but with clag down to 300 feet and heavy rain so no recreational aviation to some leafy little airfield for lunch.

So what to do...?

What do fellow PPRuNers do on similarly gloomy Sundays (cue flash of lightning and thunder)?

Sleep late, read, go to church....? Sundays really are the pits (and no I don't mean that special).

Caco

500N
13th Jul 2014, 06:17
Watch DVD.s if it is that bad.

I also use the time for research.

Cacophonix
13th Jul 2014, 06:18
I also use the time for research.

Dare I ask what a gentleman might research on a gloomy Sunday 500N? ;)

Cue another flash and clap of thunder!

Caco

500N
13th Jul 2014, 06:28
Things I might buy in the future, looking around at what is available.

Today was an 12v amber Led strobe light and emergency triangle for the car
And a very small 1x aaa led torch for my keyring.

What looks good at the start in't always looking good after research :O

sitigeltfel
13th Jul 2014, 06:37
So what to do?

Watch some YouTube videos? ;)

Cacophonix
13th Jul 2014, 06:39
Watch some YouTube videos?

Ah but to post or not to post the most interesting ones? Now there's the rub! ;)

Caco

500N
13th Jul 2014, 06:51
Caco

It is only recently I have realised how useful youtube is for watching films when you have time to kill on a wet day.

It is amazing how many films are on there that are not shown on TV.

Easy to kill an hour or two.

DType
13th Jul 2014, 06:51
Great!
I always go to church on Sundays, so the lousy weather means I am NOT missing a great day out on the mountains.
Never could understand the preacher who will often say "Thanks for coming out on such a bad day". In my case, I would like to be thanked when it is a good day, when there is temptation to truant!
Am I in a minority of one on JB?

rdemonta
13th Jul 2014, 07:31
No you are not.
Today was Sea Sunday in NZ and we had a brilliant sermon from a visiting Missioner to Seafarers. Well worth the early morning attendance.

fabs
13th Jul 2014, 07:48
Church too! I don't particularly believe, but it's important to the family. I'll drink and gamble later on though to make up for it!

Uncle Fred
13th Jul 2014, 08:11
Church, listen to he Ramones on You Tube to pay homage to Tommy who just passed, and then watch Germany unleash a fearsome and awe inspiring thrashing out on the pitch...

crewmeal
13th Jul 2014, 08:13
You can always buy yourself a copy of The Mail on Sunday and afterwards think how lucky you are not to get a mention (judging by today's issue).

OFSO
13th Jul 2014, 08:16
Gloomy Sundays...

Caco, the mem' has just come back from a visit to Edinburgh and Oil City, enthused over the friendliness of the indiginous peoples, beauty of mountains and vales, excellence of food and drink..and indeed we would consider moving there were it not for the Gloomy Sundays - not to mention the gloomy winters with their short daylight hours and above all the rain....

Cool and cloudy here in Spain, BTW, not the usual brilliant sun and hot temps by any means, but I prefer it that way.

Tankertrashnav
13th Jul 2014, 08:30
Am I in a minority of one on JB?

Apparently not, according to subsequent replies. I'm not a regular churchgoer, but I find attending evensong at the local cathedral lifts the spirits of this agnostic every time, whatever the weather.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
13th Jul 2014, 08:49
Dunno where in UK you are Caco, but if it's west it'll prob 90 turn into a cracking day soon.

Cacophonix
13th Jul 2014, 08:56
Dunno where in UK you bare Caco, but if it's west it'll prob 90 turn into a cracking day soon.

Too far East I am afraid. Current Stansted METAR

EGSS 130820Z 26005KT 9999 BKN007 BKN012 18/17 Q1007

TAF gives little hope of imminent reprieve save in bursts perhaps later this afternoon.

Might take my better half for lunch in Moreton. A glass or two of wine followed by strict avoidance of any PPRuNe activity for 48 hours... ;)

Caco

Ascend Charlie
13th Jul 2014, 09:49
Come to sunny Queensland, it is the middle of winter and it was 23 degrees and sparkling blue sunshine. Gloomy? Sounds like England - or Melbourne.

And for a change from Youchoob, try Redtube. Raises more than an eyebrow.

Rossian
13th Jul 2014, 10:03
........until you have experienced a "Wee Free" Sunday in Stornaway in the 1950s you don't know gloomy One sermon I heard named two young women in the congregation as having been seen leaving a "house of ill repute" in Inverness yesterday. I elbowed my mate and said "I didn't know there was a house of ill repute in Inverness".
"nah its the cinema the minister has a thing about them" True story.

The Ancient Mariner

and folks wonder why I'm an atheist.

John Hill
13th Jul 2014, 10:08
Sunday has almost run its course. Time for a wee dram and then off to bed having just watched a documentary about the police officers involved in the events following the crash of TE901.

Exascot
13th Jul 2014, 10:10
I didn't know it was Sunday. Here we can debate wot day it is for ages. Every day is the same. Church bells, post office and shops open every day.

david1300
13th Jul 2014, 10:12
Church, then clearing the Foxtel box of MotoGP, WSBK and V8 Supercars recorded over the past 3 weeks while I've been away. Mind you, being in sunny Queensland I have to do this on lovely sunny Sundays as I don't know what a gloomy Sunday looks like :p

RedhillPhil
13th Jul 2014, 10:34
hancock's half hour - sunday afternoon at home - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjE5WfweIcU&feature=player_detailpage#t=2)

SMT Member
13th Jul 2014, 10:38
Looong, lazy, breakfast with the GF and a shared Sunday newspaper of proper size (done).

Extended surf of t'innerweb, including visit to these hallowed halls (in the process thereof)

Horizontal on the couch, snuggled up under a blanket, having a good long nap with Le Tour on the TV (next)

Getting the kids home late in the afternoon, have some laughs and perhaps a spot of pillow fighting, cook them food and throw them in bed (sequel to next)

Give the GF a good rogering, and be asleep before midnight (the finale)

Vercingetorix
13th Jul 2014, 12:22
Nothing beats a Gloomy Sunday than being in Scotland on a wet Sunday in the land of the "Wee Frees". Aye, we're all doomed. :{

Limeygal
13th Jul 2014, 12:29
It's piddling down here, but thanks to Redhill Phil I can now watch/listen to Tony Hancock :ok:

Tankertrashnav
13th Jul 2014, 22:16
As a kid in Scotland I got used to the traditional miserable Sunday. We Catholics had the same attitude to Sundays that you see throughout Southern Europe - ie once you'd gone to mass, maybe as early as 8am, you had the rest of the day free to enjoy yourself. Unfortunately the Protestants ruled the roost locally, and on Saturday night the park keepers used to go round chaining up the swings, roundabouts etc in the local parks to stop us kids enjoying ourselves on Sunday. I once suggested to the boy next door that we had a game of Monopoly one rainy Sunday, and was told he'd get hell from his (Methodist) parents if they caught us!

It used to be the case in Protestant Northern Germany that you werent allowed to hang out washing or cut your grass on a Sunday - meanwhile down South in Catholic Bavaria they were all out on the beer! Is it still like that?

goudie
14th Jul 2014, 05:09
Wales had a reputation for being extremely gloomy on Sundays.
Apparently you could have sex on Sundays, providing you didn't enjoy it!:=

probes
14th Jul 2014, 06:42
uh-oh, I wish I had one. If there're really absolutely no deadlines looming, nothing to translate (or edit) or read and I've slept as long as I wish, then I knit. Or crochet.
It is only recently I have realised how useful youtube is for watching films when you have time to kill on a wet day.
It is amazing how many films are on there that are not shown on TV.

would it be possible to start a "Favorite YTube films" thread with links to some, I wonder? There was one for documentaries. I'm terribly bad at finding films (which usually happens when you don't know what you're looking for :E) and don't know which ones are good (OK; the Sound of Music and Titanic and Pretty Woman, but... :\). Well, 500N? :)

500N
14th Jul 2014, 06:54
Er, probes, not too sure my tastes would go down too well on here.

Generally watch things with plenty of killing, blood, guts and right wing themes like what I was just watching,
Extreme Justice about a bunch of cops that take out criminals, permanently :rolleyes:

I will have a think though.

probes
14th Jul 2014, 07:12
Jeezz, don't you get your daily ration of fights in the news?? :sad: